Rival Schools PCB Board problem (JPN version) too much glare

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Rival Schools PCB Board problem (JPN version) too much glare

Post by Rock Man »

Hi, my friend has a problem. I was wondering if you guys could help him as you helped me before. I let him type a message thinking you guys could help come up with a solution. Please aid him in anyway you can, thanks!

Message typed from my friend:

"I have a rival school jamma pcb board and it is not showing a clear picture. The picture has a bright white glare to it making it hard to see a picture. I have a supergun set up and my hyper neo-geo 64 works fine but my rival school arcade board has this problem. my supergun is hooked up to my rgb scart to HDMI converter which plays on my HDTV tv. All my other sytems works great on this converter excecpt this rival school arcade board. please help me in this situation thank you".
jonny5

Re: Rival Schools PCB Board problem (JPN version) too much glare

Post by jonny5 »

turn down the contrast on the tv
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Already tried that... no go.

Could it be maybe it takes a certain type of monitor resolution?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Could be anything from PSU power, a faulty video output chip, the conversion to your hdmi box.. just about anything really.

First thing i'd do is find someone local on here with a cabinet/supergun and try it there.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Some of the ZN hardware has uber high video gain. I had an Ehrghiez PCB that was like that. You may have to put resistance in series w/ each color signal (R/G/B) and drop that voltage down to a reasonable level.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah - sounds like you don't have RGB pulldown resistors on your supergun.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Would he need to change the frequency somehow? Since there are various monitor resolutions CGA, EGA, etc. I assume he'd need a converter (WHATEVA to VGA/HDMI) to switch those signals?
undamned

Post by undamned »

Nothing to do with frequency. Resistors must be used somewhere between the PCB and the HDMI converter. I couldn't tell you the easiest place to install them, but that's what needs done.
-ud
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

does his supergun have pots to turn down that R,G & B gain? If no then, well, there you have it.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

ZOM wrote:does his supergun have pots to turn down that R,G & B gain? If no then, well, there you have it.
Nope, I'm afraid it doesn't offer RGB gain switch. =( Good guess though.
undamned wrote:Nothing to do with frequency. Resistors must be used somewhere between the PCB and the HDMI converter. I couldn't tell you the easiest place to install them, but that's what needs done.
-ud
Sounds like useful advice to getting that thing to display on a Coosis converter. But right now I believe he's trying to stay focused on how to tone down the brightness. He can get it to display fine on the YUV converter, his Hyper Neo Geo 64 games output correctly, Rival Schools is the odd ball out of the bunch.

Say, exactly what monitor resolution is the game running on anyway CGA, VGA, or EGA?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Rock Man wrote:
ZOM wrote:does his supergun have pots to turn down that R,G & B gain? If no then, well, there you have it.
Nope, I'm afraid it doesn't offer RGB gain switch. =( Good guess though.
undamned wrote:Nothing to do with frequency. Resistors must be used somewhere between the PCB and the HDMI converter. I couldn't tell you the easiest place to install them, but that's what needs done.
-ud
Sounds like useful advice to getting that thing to display on a Coosis converter. But right now I believe he's trying to stay focused on how to tone down the brightness. He can get it to display fine on the YUV converter, his Hyper Neo Geo 64 games output correctly, Rival Schools is the odd ball out of the bunch.

Say, exactly what monitor resolution is the game running on anyway CGA, VGA, or EGA?
cga
undamned

Post by undamned »

Rock Man wrote:
ZOM wrote:
-ud
Sounds like useful advice to getting that thing to display on a Coosis converter. But right now I believe he's trying to stay focused on how to tone down the brightness.
It's useful advice without a converter :D The only reason I mentioned a converter was because you said that was his setup. Resistance can be added right after the PCB before it hits a monitor/converter/whatever.
-ud
P-man

Post by P-man »

erm..

Don't these pcbs have an RGB gain setting screen in the test mode? I have found that if the pcb has fogotten all its settings it will screw the RGB gains to max showing what you describe.

Go into test mode and look for the RGB settings...
--
Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com
undamned

Post by undamned »

P-man wrote:erm..

Don't these pcbs have an RGB gain setting screen in the test mode? I have found that if the pcb has fogotten all its settings it will screw the RGB gains to max showing what you describe.

Go into test mode and look for the RGB settings...
I recall dorking with that and the picture, although less bright, still looked funny.
-ud