What's different about Raiden DX...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shearie

What's different about Raiden DX...

Post by Shearie »

...compared to Raiden II? Whenever there is a discussion about Raiden mostly everyone says that it is the best in the series yet I never saw anyone say what they changed from Raiden II........................or maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention.

Earlier today as I was wondering around looking for employment, I came across a video game store that sells import games. It was kind of shocking walking into an american video game store and seeing a gazillion Dreamcast Ikaruga's and a few Raiden DX's for sale new. I'm thinking about buying it even though I'm dead broke and would have to do something that would make Baby Jesus cry to get enough money. Actually, I shouldn't buy it. I won't buy it. Self control is getting better.
kingmobster

Post by kingmobster »

There´s a pretty good review of it here: http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/raidendx.htm
neojma

Re: What's different about Raiden DX...

Post by neojma »

Shearie wrote: Earlier today as I was wondering around looking for employment, I came across a video game store that sells import games. It was kind of shocking walking into an american video game store and seeing a gazillion Dreamcast Ikaruga's and a few Raiden DX's for sale new. I'm thinking about buying it even though I'm dead broke and would have to do something that would make Baby Jesus cry to get enough money. Actually, I shouldn't buy it. I won't buy it. Self control is getting better.
I haven't played DX in so long I don't remember the specific differences, so sorry about that - though the above article seems to delve into great detail. Although from memory I don't think it's quite as dramatic a difference as the author makes it out to be. To me it's a little closer to Raiden 2 Remix (or maybe Raiden 2.5) than what the author says.

However, do you mind telling me the name of that store? Gonna have to visit it the next time I'm in Phoenix to see the grandmother. At least I'm assuming it's near Phoenix, since your profile says Mesa. And does the store have decent prices? Thanks in advance!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Wh-wh-what? Which store is that?

Shearie, have you tried Appleone? They found me my current job at Macy's and it's not bad, to be honest.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Raiden DX offers three different courses. The first one is basically just one big level, with most types of terrain featured, a couple of bosses, and plenty of secret bonuses to be discovered. The second is comparable to Raiden II, and the third is a bit different, with an extra level at the end.

There are slight cosmetic differences too, the purple sticky laser (NOT homing laser) color cycles when doing damage, for example.

Raiden II Turbo, sort of.
Shearie

Post by Shearie »

Thanks Kingmobster for the link. I have read many Stuart Campbell articles yet I never seen the Raiden DX review. My brain is full of air right now so I'll read the article when I can properly digest all those words.

Thanks to PooshhMao for the quickie brackdown that I could properly digest.

The store I went to is called Game Zone and it is in Gilbert. They had a small cabinet there for import games and had a stack of DC Ikaruga's and 2 Raiden DX's, the only shmups I saw there. I don't remember the price for Ikaruga but Raiden DX was $29.99 new, I don't know if that is a good price or not. The lady that worked there told me in her completely destroyed smokers voice that they would be getting more import games soon. Maybe I should have suggested to her to get more shmups, like she would have listened to me. I also saw them selling various systems like a Dreamcast, Genesis, and a Neo Geo as well as a bunch of accessories. There is also another video game retail a mile from my house that sells all kinds of American systems and games although I can't quite remember the name, I think it's called GameQuest Plus. One time I was there they were selling an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Jaguar with CD, and a Saturn. They also had some games for all said systems. I was going to buy the Saturn at the time but when I moved to AZ 2 years ago I lost all 30 of my Saturn games. Another cool thing about them was that they said they mod XBOX's.

To Specineff, I have heard the name Appleone before but I never knew what kind of business they were. Am I assuming right that they are a staffing agency?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Shearie wrote:...but Raiden DX was $29.99 new...
That is a truly awesome price...
Shearie

Post by Shearie »

I forgot to mention that the cross streets for Game Zone are Gilbert and Guadalupe.

I don't want anyone on this forum to go out and buy the last copy of Raiden DX, one of them should be on permanent hold for me, forever.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Shearie wrote:I forgot to mention that the cross streets for Game Zone are Gilbert and Guadalupe.

I don't want anyone on this forum to go out and buy the last copy of Raiden DX, one of them should be on permanent hold for me, forever.
Well Shearie if we manage to get together next weekend you are welcome to give my copy a go and see if its your cup of tea. Its funny, when you mentioned the raspy voiced lady at gamezone I new exactly who you were talking about. Dealt with her several times in the past. :lol:
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

That WoS review was really interesting. Thanks for sharing it.