NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RHE

Re: New Neo Geo Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by RHE »

Thanks for the praise so far! :)

We'll announce the pricing soon, all I can say for know is, that it will be way less than the Last Hope cart.
Ghegs wrote:I'm curious (and a bit worried) about the shields...looks like the collectible items fill up a gauge, which, when full, gives you a new shield. And yet there's still extends separately. I couldn't really figure out how all that worked, seemed like you can lose a life even with shields in stock. But it's also possible to lose just a shield.
Yup, you just lose all shields instead of a life when you get physicly hit the enemy itself. When you get hit by an bullet, you loser a life. There's a bullet auto-shield function in the Novice mode though.

And yeah, we switched the Color mode with the Novice mode. As our games are usually quite difficult we find it's more important to get novice players a proper chance to play the game. The Color mode couldn't pass our high quality control anyway.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

RHE wrote:And yeah, we switched the Color mode with the Novice mode. As our games are usually quite difficult we find it's more important to get novice players a proper chance to play the game. The Color mode couldn't pass our high quality control anyway.
Understandable, though bit of a shame, I was looking forward to seeing Color mode as well. Maybe have the mode in beta form as a bonus or have it implemented later via the software update system? ;)

On another note, are you planning on including a shockbox with the consumer-MVS version? Those things are damn convenient, got all my MVS carts stored in those.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
rtw

Post by rtw »

Looks very interesting :D

Music is excellent and some of the enemies are just pure eye-candy...

Now all I want to know is the price for MVS and home MVS and what the shmups member discount will be ;)
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
clp

Post by clp »

will MVS be the only format for this one definately or will you release it on something else later on aswell?
RHE

Post by RHE »

Of course we consider a port at some point, but for a while we keep it with a MVS release. We do plan a shockbox version, btw.
Ghegs wrote:
RHE wrote:And yeah, we switched the Color mode with the Novice mode. As our games are usually quite difficult we find it's more important to get novice players a proper chance to play the game. The Color mode couldn't pass our high quality control anyway.
Maybe have the mode in beta form as a bonus or have it implemented later via the software update system? ;)
Not sure about this but we keep the door open!
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Dragoforce wrote:Remembering the price of the AES last hope.... :cry:
seriously
:(
way too much
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Any chance of a Cave style TATE game later on.. on the MVS?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For RHE,

Do you have any plans to show off/sell your MVS Fast Striker shmup at an arcade game show? The upcoming California Extreme (CAX) arcade & pinball game show/sale in Santa Clara, California, would a great place to show it properly and get the word out that a new MVS game is in the works. Not to mention getting some more folks on the reserve list to preorder one. Or even better yet, sell some "autographed" MVS carts of Fast Striker at the CAX 2010 show would be ace.

And will the FS MVS cart come with professionally printed full-color arcade paperworks such as a instruction label strip, mini MVS marquee & full-sized POP marquee for completeness?

I like the idea of being able to upgrade the FS MVS cart via USB port method.

http://www.caextreme.org

I'm with neorichie1971 for a true tate MVS flavored Cave-stylized shmup title...it would definitely be a groundbreaking title indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
neist

Post by neist »

Geez, I take it easy from forums for a little bit and a new MVS game is announced.

I also must say that it looks freaking fantastic. I like how fast it looks in the trailer. I'll keep an eye on this thread. ;)
THE

Post by THE »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For RHE,

Do you have any plans to show off/sell your MVS Fast Striker shmup at an arcade game show? The upcoming California Extreme (CAX) arcade & pinball game show/sale in Santa Clara, California, would a great place to show it properly and get the word out that a new MVS game is in the works. Not to mention getting some more folks on the reserve list to preorder one. Or even better yet, sell some "autographed" MVS carts of Fast Striker at the CAX 2010 show would be ace.

And will the FS MVS cart come with professionally printed full-color arcade paperworks such as a instruction label strip, mini MVS marquee & full-sized POP marquee for completeness?

I like the idea of being able to upgrade the FS MVS cart via USB port method.

http://www.caextreme.org

I'm with neorichie1971 for a true tate MVS flavored Cave-stylized shmup title...it would definitely be a groundbreaking title indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That's a nice idea, however we are Germany based and generally not much into traveling. But maybe we could lend a cartridge to one serious exhibitor, if you have any ideas or connections to proceed something like that let me know.

And yes, there will be two purchasing options. One includes a professionally offset printed full kit.

Regarding tate, if we do a vertical shmup again, it will be definitively tate. We actually prefer tate ourselves, but back in time as preproduction started (2004) a verizontal was the only serious option to us. Because of install base, home NEOGEO users etc. Having more Cave influence wouldn't hurt either ;-)

Keep your fingers crossed, that Fast Striker will be successful enough to warrant a tate arcade shmup as a next project. :mrgreen:
The future is 2D
rtw

Post by rtw »

CIT wrote:As reported in German gaming mag M!Games NG:DEV Team (Last Hope) are to release a new Neo Geo shoot 'em up called Fast Striker in Q3 2010.
Have you got better scans ? I want to test my German reading abilities :D
THE

Post by THE »

You can find a sneak peek of the first beta testing of Fast Striker we did with German Shmup community members on our blog.
http://blog.ngdevteam.com/

Don't forget to view Plasmo in action http://www.ngdevteam.com/download/plasmoplay.avi
The future is 2D
szycag

Post by szycag »

Looking at the gameplay, I can't tell what about this game would make the cart size so big. The backgrounds remind me of Iridion II for GBA.
...But, this looks really awesome and I want to try it. It's cool that you're doing a vertical, trying out more bullets, and just from looking at the trailer I think you've set yourself up to make something that's not really like anything else out there on this project. Even as it takes influence from other stuff it seems like you've put the NG:Dev spin on it. I even like the name "Fast Striker"!
That is Galactic Dancing
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am happy to see the devs take on board some new ideas especially TATE MVS.

The city scape looks familiar, maybe one of the earlier stages of RSG?

Although I like the look of the graphics, the bullets are a bit confusing because some blobs are collectable and some kill you.. then you've got an arrangement of many other projectiles flying around that also kill you. I don't mind having 8 types of enemy bullet types but not at once.

I hope its a 2 or 3 button game. I only have one cab set up for 4 buttons and I don't want to use that one.

Just my 2 cents really.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
soloista

Post by soloista »

Personally, I think that the environments are too much of black/silver/navy blue. It feels too much like HR Giger at this point.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I hope its a 2 or 3 button game. I only have one cab set up for 4 buttons and I don't want to use that one.
You can see on the official site that while all four buttons are used, you can probably do just fine with only three as holding either A or B also slows the ship down, Cave-style. I was actually going to ask something about the buttons myself, but I see NGDEV updated their site in the last day or so and now I don't have to.

Actually, hm. What happens when you hold both A and B down?

And I'm very happy to see Plasmo and the others had a chance to playtest the game.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

szycag wrote:Looking at the gameplay, I can't tell what about this game would make the cart size so big
Look at the giant boss sprites and how animated they are. That and the backgrounds are bigger than you think ..
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Hey RHE,

Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win, Win,

oh yeah....and win.
Fight Like A Robot!
nem

Post by nem »

Awesome that it's being playtested by Germany's finest.

Definitely looking forward to this.
Darkseed

Post by Darkseed »

Im so excited for this game.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

are you guys gonna self-publish this like you did with Last Hope or you actually going to try and get somebody to publish it for ya. plus this game looks to be worth getting.
THE

Post by THE »

As today it's possible to preorder Fast Striker for NEOGEO MVS.

The consumer version comes in two flavors:

MVS FULL KIT (Consumer):

* Fast Striker NEO GEO MVS Cart
Game does not accept coins / time released credits / always free play / only licensed for private use
* DIP Settings
* Offset printed Cart Sticker
* Offset printed Marquee
* Offset printed Instruction Flyer
* Mini Marquee
* Antistatic bubble wrap bag
* Baggy for printed goods
* Cardboard Box with Sticker
* Holographic serial number sticker

SHOCKBOX LE (Consumer):

* Fast Striker NEO GEO MVS Cart
* Shockbox
* Game does not accept coins / time released credits / always free play / only licensed for private use
* DIP settings
* Offset printed Cart Sticker
* Offset Printed Insert
* Offset printed Full Color Game Manual: 12pages
* Manual baggy
* Professional printed Original Soundtrack CD / OST
* DINA1 Poster
* Glowing Cart via LEDs
* Holographic serial number sticker

EXTRA DOUBLE PACK OFFER

This offer includes a Instruction Flyer, Marquee, Mini Marquee and Cardboard Box with Sticker of the MVS Full Kit as a bonus. Expires: June 2010

The release is planned for June 2010

Please visit the game site for more information:

http://www.faststriker.com

The future is 2D
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well, that's a bit more expensive than I was hoping for. Nice that it's already available in June, but I think I'll wait to see more gameplay vids.

Any chance for a lite-version deal? I'd really only need the MVS cart itself and maybe the graphic file for the shockbox. I'm a bit confused why you'd include stuff like stickers and marquees in a consumer version anyway.

My videos
rtw

Post by rtw »

Small type on your page: sales@ngdeveam.com

Should probably be: sales@ngdevteam.com :D
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

You guys forgot to include suction caps so you can charge a couple hundreds more :lol:
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

That's too much for my taste, also especially for a homebrew game.
Hope it will come to another platform later.
PC Engine Fan X!

ex.machina wrote:That's too much for my taste, also especially for a homebrew game.
If you were to get the arcade MVS cart version of Fast Striker and put a candy cab or woodie cab out on a street location, eventually you'll see that it will have paid for itself if you charge fifty cents per credit (would take a bit longer if set up for a quarter per credit). Plus, having to deal with possibility of vandalized candy/woodie cab situation (with a strong possibility of gangster graffiti marring/defacing said cab is a given these days) and replacing said joysticks and/or push buttons at regular intervals. It's all part of doing business with said business clientele: profits split 50/50 between you and the "street location" owner. So it'd make smart business sense to charge the usual "50 cents per credit" to break even, especially when dealing with arcade software/hardware.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nZero

Post by nZero »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
ex.machina wrote:That's too much for my taste, also especially for a homebrew game.
If you were to get the arcade MVS cart version of Fast Striker and put a candy cab or woodie cab out on a street location, eventually you'll see that it will have paid for itself if you charge fifty cents per credit (would take a bit longer if set up for a quarter per credit).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Except the prices announced so far are for the consumer MVS version, which is set to free play and doesn't accept coins.
PC Engine Fan X!

I'm curious as to what the final asking price will be for an arcade MVS cart of Fast Striker that'll "accept coins" (opposed to having "Free Play" like that on the consumer MVS cart of FS) in an arcade establishment or street location route? Of course, a Neo-Geo MVS mobo can be set to "Free Play" mode as well (via dipswitch setting).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

based on the music from the trailer, I would think at some point a soundtrack release seperate from the game itself would happen. I really hope so cause the music in the trailer is very good.