RQ: Gradius III - Bubble Hell

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
captain ahar

RQ: Gradius III - Bubble Hell

Post by captain ahar »

my ability to pass this level on Normal is very inconsistent and I have few questions. i am playing on ps2 by the way.

- Is the Option Thief set to go at one point only, or is it on a timer running after you collect 4 options? As I haven't unlocked the Extra Edit yet is there a good method of evading his jaws with full options?

edit: option thief placement is not this early in the arcade version, i have passed the third level, first it was with 3 options so i assumed i wasn't seeing it due to being underpowered. i was wrong, having since passed the level at full power, i can confirm its non-existence (as can dozens of others on the board :wink:).

- In the bubble field, what generally works better; shooting when i need to and aiming at enemies, or destroy everything? it seems that a little later on in the level, using the Destroy mentality, things get real hard to navigate... although i suppose thats the point.
Last edited by captain ahar on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Zach Keene posted a video of him clearing the bubble field on the previous iteration of this forum. He just destroyed everything I believe.

I'm not sure about this level, but in the crystal cube level it seems to be triggered by a position in the level rather than a timer (at least from the replay I was watching yesterday where the guy died about 8-10 times in each loop on the cubes).
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

The no-sound, no-quality version of my PS2 stage 2 replay can be found here if you're interested.

I can't recall ever encountering the Option Hunter this early in the game though...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

well to be honest, i am working on the assumption of SNES gradius III, because he option hunter always appears the first time at that one point in the level. any time i have cleared stage III on ps2, i've done it with 3 options because i didn't want to screw around with the hunter... which apparently isn't worth worrying about anymore. :D
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I didn't know there was a hunter in this stage.... I haven't seen him yet (I was able to get as far as the part where the little guys trapped in the bubbles come to MURDER YOU).

I hate this stage too though. I can't get very far on it. I think ONCE I got to the boss (on the technical course, that is), and I had no options (so he killed me).
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

again, there is no hunter, i was just playing snes for so long i assumed he was there, i just hadn't gotten to that point. since my last post here, i've made it into 1-5 (i'm a master), so i can confirm the lack of hunter.

on that note... fuckin moai. hate them so much. they got those rotating one too that just distract.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Probably a good thing there is no hunter then. We don't want to make the game seem UNFAIR, do we? :roll:
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

its not unfair, the difficulty will just make yours eyes bleed. :D
SAM

Post by SAM »

captain ahar wrote:on that note... fuckin moai. hate them so much. they got those rotating one too that just distract.
Well, I do not have the privilege of hating the moai in this game since I am still struggling with the bubbles in stage 1-3... :oops:

Just wish to know the best weapon to be used in this stage.

BTW, I have heard that deliberately rank down (i.e. got killed) in this stage is a way to get pass is that true?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

suiciding to lower rank does not work for me here. the bubbles get so dense that progression is too difficult. i go with full power and laser, when i am looking to survive. i think i tried to suiciding once, and managed to get to the bubble boss, only to lose the rest of my men for lack of formidable power.

it seems that this stage is more of a find a basic route/tactic and battle on kind of thing.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

the bubbles are a nightmare to get past, ive just done it tho.

my strategy was use less speed and lots of options with missile during the first 2/3 of the stage, up to the point where the enemies start coming in from the top/bottom of the screen trapped in bubbles. there is a large orange bubble just before this, which you can explode to get lots of power ups, get as many speed ups as possible from this as it is the only way to out manouvre those little bastards.

be sure to try to take out the mounted turrets at the top and bottom of the screen at this point as these make navigating this section nigh on impossible (using this strategy anyway)

its still hard though, but it can be done

then on to the 2nd boss, which is fairly easy if attacked in the right way.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

yes, the stage still sucks, but i can generally make it to 1-5 these days (when i get around to playing gradius III, that is).

and this feat still stands as my most impressive gaming accomplishment. :?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Suiciding to lower the rank isn't worth it IMO. If you die, you come back with jackshit chance of making it further. I'm guessing it may be better to limit the number of options (2? 3?).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

AS i recall form playing it, destroying everything is indeed the key, but it helps to have wait mode 2 when you try that. that way, it slows down enough for you to dodge everything.

I repeat.

Wait mode 2 is arcade accurate. USE IT. It will help you out. :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

captain ahar wrote:yes, the stage still sucks, but i can generally make it to 1-5 these days (when i get around to playing gradius III, that is).

and this feat still stands as my most impressive gaming accomplishment. :?
I 1-6 just awhile ago

when I face the bubbles I tend to recomend destroying one,s in the middle and staying there leaving ones on the top or bottom alone,the small turrets attacks are pretty easy to dodge if you stay center, the boss of this level is very easy so it would,nt matter if you lost a few lives.