RQ: Gekirindan secrets?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
esreveR

RQ: Gekirindan secrets?

Post by esreveR »

Hi all. I've been wondering if there's any interesting tips on getting high scores in Gekirindan...mainly secrets and stuff, if there are any.

I've heard that 2P side is easier or something, and I've gotten a bonus item to appear once on the first stage (Something involving the first encounter with the boss before he flies off), and I also know that getting that walker thing to survive most of the way will yield more medals. Are there any more things than that?

(Also, is this seriously the first Gekirindan thread around here?)
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
xris

Re: RQ: Gekirindan secrets?

Post by xris »

I've been wondering what makes the bomb appear at the begining of 1st lvl also. I think it might be the junk you destroy at the begining? It's kinda hard to dismantle and destroy it all.
Mero

Post by Mero »

The answers that you seek are in the Gekirindan high score thread
xris

Post by xris »

Thanks, I had been skipping past the 2nd page. Nice score by the way!
It seems a little inconsistant bringing out that 1st bomb. I was trying for the arms, but would still get it sometimes.
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

Here are some of my notes I've taken during the TRP-STGT 2017 tourney. Some of it's already discussed in the old high score thread, but I think it'll be useful if I piece together everything here:

General
Type C on the 2P side is much stronger than its 1P side. Not sure if the other 2 ships are different between sides. Also, there's some speculation that 1P has somewhat higher rank, I haven't looked into this personally...

The Napalm sub-weapon is by far the most powerful, and also quite useful for covering wide angles. The napalm also stays in place for a moment, killing enemies that fly into it.

The alternate weapons you get with the C item don't seem to be particularly useful. At least, I haven't found a good use for Type A's alternate with the lightning that auto-tracks enemies (the tracking doesn't seem to even work that well).

Stage 1
When you destroy one of the bigger asteroids/large debris, it'll split off into smaller pieces. Probably goes without saying, but try to destroy it when it's in the middle of the screen, and then destroy the smaller pieces before they fly off the sides.

When you encounter the boss near the start of the level, you'll want to focus on attacking only the face. The face has 2 pieces of armor on its left and right side that protect its core, and they regenerate after a short period. While the armor is down, you can move into that spot before it regenerates completely and point blank the core for more damage. 2P Type C can take it out with ease, but other ships probably won't be able to take it out fast enough with their firepower. So alternatively, you can bomb it and then suicide to get your bombs back for the end-of-stage bonus.

If you kill the face fast enough, you'll enter an earlier section of the level. The earliest part of this "extra" section contains a carrier with a 1000 point bonus. Farther down the extra section is a carrier with a bomb.

You can milk the boss's missiles, but the points you get are relatively small and if you take too long the boss will start firing homing lasers at you that are relatively hard to avoid compared to its homing lasers it fires at you after destroying the boss.

Stage 2
When you encounter the mid-boss, let it live long enough to trample the houses to reveal medals, and then finish it off quickly after the fifth house is destroyed so that you can trigger a train spawn that's worth a 1000 or so points. You'll probably want to deal enough damage to destroy its flamethrower before it starts backing off, then hover over it before you finish it off.

When you destroy the boss's first phase, make sure to destroy the left and right turrets as they fall down to the ground.

When trying to kill the turrets on the boss's second phase, it looks like the game might not give you the points depending on where the killing blow occurs. If you target the shielded area more than the turret, you don't seem to get any points. To be sure I get the points, I try to focus on taking out the turrets with Napalm and avoid hitting it with my main shot altogether.

Stage 3
When you encounter the mid-boss, don't destroy its arms immediately. Instead, wait for it to flee; it will launch its arms at you as it does so. Now when you destroy the arms, you'll get 30000 points instead of 8000.

The boss's turrets can be milked for a very large amount of points. I've managed to get around 440k points here by milking the turrets aggressively, killing each of them almost right as they spawn. The boss will time out as it attempts to fire a 10th pink laser attack. The 10th laser doesn't actually come out, so you'll need to kill it a little before then.

Stage 4
Kind of an obvious one - near the beginning of the stage are turrets sitting on red platforms. Destroy the turrets before the platforms or you'll miss out on the turret's points.

The boss can be milked for about 200k or so points. I haven't found a good indicator of knowing when to finish off the boss though; my strategy was to assume I would get the highest possible amount of points, and then start to kill the boss as I approached that amount. And it's also tricky not to actually kill the boss too soon...

Anyway, you'll want to rush toward the last phase quickly as the boss can timeout and fly away even on its first phase. For the first phase, target the center instead of its wings. Once entering the second phase, destroy the left and right turrets as fast as you can. After one of the turrets are destroyed, the boss will spawn disc-like objects that you can milk along with the missiles. You'll want to sit at one end of the screen to prevent your main shot from hitting the boss and keep it alive, but you may need to move inside a little if the suicide bullets from the discs come close to you. I think you'll also need to stop firing for a few moments to keep the boss alive as well.

Stage 5
The floor trap turrets at the beginning of the stage seem to only fire if you're close to the bottom of the screen.

In the section right after the floor turrets, the box thingies on the side open up to reveal turrets that will fire if you're far enough away from them. The turrets are worth 1000 each and the box thingy is 10000, so you'll need to find a route where you can kill as many turrets and finish off the box before it leaves the screen.

After destroying the mid-boss's main ship, destroying the core will leave a 1UP and grant 20k points.

In the section with the big enemies that teleport in, it's kinda tricky to kill off the ones at the end where 6 of them spawn in. What I try to do is hang at the bottom center of the screen and wait until the teleport "circle" disappears. Then, I fire 7 napalm shots and then move around to kill the upper enemies.

The first phase of the boss fires discs that can be milked up to 9 times. Be careful though, as it will switch to a pattern where it fires a 3-way laser, and this can be hard to dodge depending on the positions of the side lasers.

---
Think that's all of the significant bits. There's a replay that gets 2.1M with Type A on the 2P side here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyd40PUcSj4

Through save states, I've managed 2.3M. The current WR is 2.4M, so I'm not sure where a hidden 100k point source would be...
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Kyper wrote:When you destroy the boss's first phase, make sure to destroy the left and right turrets as they fall down to the ground.

When trying to kill the turrets on the boss's second phase, it looks like the game might not give you the points depending on where the killing blow occurs. If you target the shielded area more than the turret, you don't seem to get any points. To be sure I get the points, I try to focus on taking out the turrets with Napalm and avoid hitting it with my main shot altogether.
This is probably obvious to everyone except me, but you can also destroy the turrets on the first phase, which is separate from destroying them during the transition to the second phase.

I think this is how the second phase works: The main body has fixed damage thresholds at which the right and left sides will blow up and not give you the points that you get for destroying them yourself. If you focus on the center, the right side will always blow up before the left. Thus, if you want to get the points from both sides, you want to start on the right and then switch to the left after finishing the right; if you start on the left, residual damage hitting the center may trigger the first damage threshold and blow up the right.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube