What makes a good top down shmup?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Kuri

What makes a good top down shmup?

Post by Kuri »

I'm making a top down shooter, and I have a good idea about what would make the game good in terms of design, weapons etc. but I wanted some other opinions.
Also anything that would ruin the game would be handy too. Ta!
TGK

Re: What makes a good top down shmup?

Post by TGK »

Kuri wrote:I'm making a top down shooter, and I have a good idea about what would make the game good in terms of design, weapons etc. but I wanted some other opinions.
Also anything that would ruin the game would be handy too. Ta!
That sprite in your avatar, is it from a PC shmup named Galax?

About your question, I think it's too general. You can get everybody's idea about what good and bad by browsing the forums and read the reviews here.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
Kuri

Post by Kuri »

Yeah, Galax is a great game. I love it how it does something different, there isn't even a powerups system.

Fair point, it is a bit general, lets just narrow it down to the weapons system for now. I wanted to keep away from the usual wave, laser, missiles etc. cos they've been done loads of times before.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Kuri wrote:I wanted to keep away from the usual wave, laser, missiles etc. cos they've been done loads of times before.
You'll have to ask yourself why. Just staying away from something because you feel it has done before is not necessarily a good reason. However, if you have a good reason (if your gamedesign requires it), then you should do that. But it's not just coincidence nor is it laziness why such a lot of games have variations of the shot archetypes 'wide type', 'strong/laser type' and 'homing' in them. They work.

I think you should think about your powerup system first. Do you want to have powerups? Ikaruga works well without powerups, but the focus of the game is not very similar to your usual shmup.

If you want powerups, how is the system supposed to work? Collectable powerups are quite common, but there are other approaches like the experience system present in Batsugun or the proximity system of Shikigami no Shiro II that work equally well.

And if you decide to include different shot types you'll have to think how to implement them. Are they tied to characters (Cave games, Shiki)? Are they determined by the powerups you collect (Raiden, Toaplan games)? Can you select them freely (Axelay, Thunderforce)? Are they tied to some sort of multiple/option? Do these options/multiples have additional uses?

These are all important things to consider. Make your weapon system go hand in hand with the game and stage design, don't just slap it ontop of everything. Doing so would only lead to a misbalanced game or nonworking level design.
TGK

Post by TGK »

me agree, the archtypes are there for a reason.

People also expect a certain degree of familiarity

But there is no reason why your secondary weapon couldn't be creative or gimmicky :D

Now is 4:52 am, time for some deep philosophy

People like destruction

Bombs makes good destruction

=> People like bombs

=> Make the secondary weapon a bomb-like weapon!

Something like, hold down the secondary weapon button for 3 seconds and release, a huge bullet cancelling explosion erupts right before your craft, but you have to maneuver yourself into position for this bang to hit the boss.

Or tap the primary weapon button fast enough and the gun will eventually jam, and then explode into a shower of thousands of shots flying forward in all directions, but after that you have to survive on the secondary bomb alone until you die and the ship is fixed.

a system that encourage suicidal behavior, not bad eh?
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch