Saturn USB pad... directions sticking?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BIL

Saturn USB pad... directions sticking?

Post by BIL »

Just got a new SLS Saturn USB pad off eBay, and while it works great 99.9% of the time, occasionally a direction will keep registering after the d-pad is released. This happens in various emulators including MAME and pSX.

I owned two other Saturn USB pads back in 2006, and both occasionally did the same thing... on a different PC. Never got to the bottom of it back then. Is this a known issue with these pads? Thanks for any help.
Damocles

Re: Saturn USB pad... directions sticking?

Post by Damocles »

It could be one of the contacts sticking. Pop it open and see if there is any residue on the PCB.

If it was only happening in Mame I would say the problem lies in that progam, as certain versions caused my controllers to do just what you described. Not so much if it happens on other emulators, however.

As an aside, I've never had this problem with a Saturn pad and have never before heard of it.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Damocles wrote:It could be one of the contacts sticking. Pop it open and see if there is any residue on the PCB.
If it happens to his other controllers with different PCs, it's obviously not an issue with the pad itself.

OP, I have the same problem sometimes. Only with my USB Saturn pad, which is an official one from 2004 and the reprints on eBay. Using a PS2 Satapad via an adapter doesn't make this happen. I think it has something to do with the recognition but I never found a solution, so I just kept my USB to PS2 adapter around.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I never have this issue on any of my PCs. I'm familiar with a sticking input problem but that's from the old days and when alt-tabbing.
slap_fight

Post by slap_fight »

i'd like to ask whether it's only on certain games within MAME and other emulators?
some games just aren't emulated very well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

slap_fight wrote:i'd like to ask whether it's only on certain games within MAME and other emulators?
some games just aren't emulated very well.
Unfortunately, I've had it happen in games / emus ranging from Dragon Blaze (MAME), Zanac Neo (pSX) and Castlevania Bloodlines (Fusion). Back in 2006 I was mainly playing ESPRade in MAME and getting the same issue. I found this post by Arvandor suggesting he'd had the same problem.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone. I'll have a look at the contacts and search about for any info on USB input issues, and post anything useful here. Not too bothered as the pad is a stopgap while I get my consoles hooked up, but it's a shame such a good PC gamepad seems to have this issue.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I've never had my Saturn USB pad do this, not once.

Then again my Futari for Xbox doesn't stutter either so I'm probably doing everything wrong.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
BIL

Post by BIL »

I may have found a solution: I opened up Task Manager last night (Windows XP) and killed the "USB Device Service" process, before a Dragon Blaze session. Played all night and tonight without any sticking. Hopefully this solved it... it usually occurs at least once per 48 hrs. Will update this post in a week's time to be absolutely sure.

! 2013 update ! Hohoho, fuck no it didn't solve anything. :[