Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 10/02 @ 2pm!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bobbyconover

Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 10/02 @ 2pm!

Post by bobbyconover »

Hey guys -- first off, I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in the meet-up forum. If the other forum would be better could someone move the post over for me?

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm in the process starting up an arcade inside Pink Gorilla Games (formerly Pink Godzilla -- they got sued), the import and used game store in Seattle's University District. This is a work in progress, but I'm working hard to try to put together a selection of games you can't typically find on location in the states. I want a key portion of the lineup to be made up of shmups, hopefully to get some locals out and playing!

So far I only have an Armed Police Batrider set up, in a New Astro City cab. Dangun Feveron (well ok -- it's a Fever SOS) is coming within the next couple of days and Espgaluda 1 within a week or so. All will be in candy cabs. I am actively looking for deals on newer games as well, but it remains to be seen how many people will come out and actually play. So if you want to see some newer/more expensive (and preferably un-ported) Cave shmups, the best way to let me know is to play what we have and to help spread the word about the arcade. I'd love to think we could have a thriving coin-op shmup scene in Seattle to support the purchase of the $1500-ish PCBs, but right now that remains to be seen. I'm really excited about the possibilities, though!

I will definitely also be showcasing other cool non-shmup oddities if you guys are interested in that kind of stuff. In fact I'd have my Outfoxies PCB up and running right now if it hadn't randomly died on me after 10 years -- ugh!

So anyway, here are the current details -- lineup has been changing daily and will continue to do so:

Pink Gorilla - U-District
4341 University Ave N
(206) 547.5790

Monday-Thursday 12am-8pm
Friday-Saturday 12am-9pm
Sunday 12am-7pm

Current Games:

Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Metal Slug X
Espgaluda II
Fever SOS
Raiden Fighters 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Medieval Madness (pinball)
DDR Supernova 2
Guitar Freaks V3
Drum Mania V3
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ
Pop'n Music 15: Adventure!
Bubble Bobble
Crazy Taxi: High Roller
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Neo-Geo 4-Slot: Metal Slug 3, Bust-A-Move, Strikers 1945 Plus, KOF 2002
Soul Calibur 2
Ms Pac-Man

Being repaired:

Police 911

I'll update this post as the list changes!
Last edited by bobbyconover on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:58 am, edited 15 times in total.
MrPopo

Re: Shmups on location in Seattle @ Pink Gorilla (U-District)

Post by MrPopo »

Interesting. I used to live a few blocks from where you're located; now I'm in the downtown area. I'll have to stop by in a couple weeks (oncall this weekend, out of town next weekend) and check things out.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Sounds awesome! Would love to see some pics when you get it all setup.
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

I love Pink Godzil - er - Gorilla! Was gonna head up just to play some pop'n, but this news makes it all the more worthwhile. Really stoked to see the new store.
marus

Post by marus »

I've been stopping by PG frequently after getting out of classes. If you expanded the arcade it'd give me more excuses to stay later into the day.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Why can't anything this cool happen in Spokane? Because Spokane is terrible, that's why.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

marus wrote:I've been stopping by PG frequently after getting out of classes. If you expanded the arcade it'd give me more excuses to stay later into the day.
They/we will definitely be expanding. What appears to be the back wall right now is actually only about 2/3 of the way back -- there's another room behind there that will be opened up to basically double the arcade space. I'm pushing hard to have the hours increased, also. Ideally, I think they should stay open until 9 on weeknights and midnight on weekends. Last night I was in the store at closing time and about 10 people who were excited to play games got kicked out -- it killed me! I don't have a lot of say in the matter since I'm technically not even an employee there, but I will definitely make my opinion known and see what we can work out.

But yeah, all the stuff I'm listing off right now is extremely preliminary and will be expanded upon to fit demands, based on which games do well. I'm basically just filling space with a lot of random classics and such from my collection right now, but if I happen to find a source for more candy cabs (I have a couple of leads) I'll start bringing as many as I can in.

Pics coming soon!
marus

Post by marus »

There's another room?!? I never even noticed... I know a few guys on SRK were excited when the arcade opened; if you got some good fighters then I think they'd do well. It'd be cool if the store would stay open longer, but I don't know what your situation with resources is. Every time I go it's always the same one guy working there :P
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Wow this is very cool, I live down in Tacoma, and go up to seattle a few times a month, but when you get some good shmups up and running I'll probably make it up there much more often. You have my full support, if even just a couple of credits will help out :wink:
Personally like to see espgaluda running in that candy
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

What pinballs will you have in there? I might be up in Seattle at the end of May, not really sure if I'd have time to check this out though.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

bobbyconover wrote:hopefully to get some locals out and playing!
Count me in! This is great news, the U-District location has tons of space for some cabs so I'm glad you're taking charge and using the space. I will be stopping by soon with roll of quarters to check out the new games. I live in the Maple Leaf neighborhood so I'll be driving/biking down there asap/

So if you don't work for Pink Gorilla, how are you affiliated with them? Do you just really want an arcade in Seattle and PG is letting you use their space? Either way I'm incredibly grateful you're doing this. I have happy memories of the old arcade at Northgate Mall :D

ps- I'll be happy to play any shmup in a proper cab, but if you happen to get Donpachi installed I'll probably end up spending half my pay check on it :mrgreen:
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

seattlexc wrote:So if you don't work for Pink Gorilla, how are you affiliated with them? Do you just really want an arcade in Seattle and PG is letting you use their space? Either way I'm incredibly grateful you're doing this. I have happy memories of the old arcade at Northgate Mall :D
I've been collecting games since 1998 -- mostly classics for the first several years, as well as JAMMA obscurities. I was actually first turned onto candy cabs right around then also, when a prominent local collector and MS employee imported a container load of them -- everyone was calling them "sit-ats." They were all from the 25" generation, so there were Domys and Aero Cities and those cool Capcom Q-Sound cabs, among others. Anyway, after several years of owning a lineup of classics and a Neo 4-slot candy, I ended up buying a whole load of broken Japanese cabs from Illusionz, the arcade in Issaquah that went out of business a few years ago. I'm also a big rhythm game fan so this was pretty much a dream for me. I've spent the last couple years fixing them up and now that most of them work, I'm finding that it's impossible to actually store them all in a home environment. On top of that, I've grown a little bit weary of the whole hoarding thing -- on the one hand it's really cool to own all these great games in your home, but on the other hand it makes me feel a bit selfish since a lot of people would love to be able to play them, and can't.

Last year at the annual Pacific Northwest Pinball and Gameroom Show, I brought a handful of candy cabs and a Pop'n Music machine, since I figured Japanese oddities would be in short supply at the show. They were received really well by a lot of people, and I really enjoyed the experience of watching people other than myself enjoy the games for once. Among the fans at the show were a couple of the guys who run Pink Gorilla. One thing led to another, we got in touch, and they let me know that they'd like to have a few of my cabinets in their store. Initially it was only supposed to be Pop'n Music and a couple of candy cabinets, but we started to get more and more into the idea.. Before we knew it, we were pushing to make the place a full-fledged arcade. If it works out, it'll be nice for me because I'll get to own the games I want to, but not have to actually store them :)

So to summarize this way too long-winded explanation -- I guess I'm technically an "op" now, but this arcade is what I would consider my private collection. I'm doing a revenue split with the PG guys, but I'm not a PG employee. That said, I have thrown a bunch of ideas out there already that have been used, so I guess I do have some influence on the direction of this whole project. And so do you guys, if you have any ideas, criticisms, or anything else to add.

Speaking of which, just out of curiosity -- if money were no object, which shmups would you all like to see in the arcade the most? (Money, of course, IS an object, but I'm open to considering anything right now.) I've nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times on an Espgaluda 2 PCB, since they're plummeting in price lately, but I'm not sure if that's wise with the console port coming so soon. Another idea I had was Pink Sweets, since it's semi-affordable, unemulated/unported/no port in sight, and of course it has the whole Pink theme which kinda works with the store. It seems like opinions are mixed on that game, though? I'm just really attracted to the idea of having PCBs that you can't easily play anywhere else, so it seemed like a potentially good option.

BTW, I totally hung out at Fun-N-Games Northgate too. In fact I'm strongly considering putting my Banzai Run pinball machine in Pink Gorilla because NO arcade locally has had one since Fun-N-Games closed down! I fell in love with it there and would love to have mine available for people to play.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Speaking of which, just out of curiosity -- if money were no object, which shmups would you all like to see in the arcade the most?
Well if that were the case you should buy out a city block there and construct a 7-story monstrosity arcade like HEY :wink:
Realistically though, I think you have the right idea with whatever is unemulated/ported, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 or black label would be great, that probably won't see news at a port for a while. Possibly same with Muchi Muchi Pork, which is more well received than Pink Sweets (haven't really heard anyone hate on MMP). Some older games were terrible ports as well, like mushihimesama, dodonpachi, ddp doj black label, and almost seem like completely different games when played on a candy.

Other than that, since you're a rhythm game fan as well, IIDX Sirius would be nice. 14k for a new dedicated cab for that is nothing right? :mrgreen:
marus

Post by marus »

if money were no object, which shmups would you all like to see in the arcade the most?
As far as unemulated/unported shooters go, I've always wanted to try MMP and Pink Sweets. Other than those, I'd personally like to see Esprade and Shikigami 2. Oh, and Twinkle Star Sprites would be hella cool. I think Ikaruga and any of the Raidens would also do well, since they're popular and have that nostalgia factor.

I wouldn't necessarily count a game out because it has a port or is emulated. Not everyone has been playing since 1985, or has the time or patience to look through 10,000 MAME games. Also, playing in an arcade is a different experience from playing alone at home. I'm down to try anything that I haven't seen before, and even if I have the same game at home I'll usually prefer to play in an arcade to see how I stack on the scoreboard.

Outside of shooters, I think any popular rhythm or fighting game would do well. Some run-and-guns would be cool too, but I don't have much experience in those so I don't know what's good.
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

Last time I checked, ESPrade is really cheap. Seeing how it's unreleased, it would be great to give folks here a chance to play it. It also really holds up to the test of time imo.

Like the other guy said, Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets would be awesome too.

Btw, any chance on Pop'n ever getting an upgrade? I realize it doesn't make much sense what with pop'n upgrades being very expensive, but it'd be pretty sweet, especially since we aren't seeing PS2 versions of the new games being released.

Edit: what I really want to see at some point is Guwange.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

I think what you’re doing is incredibly cool and noble! I’m grateful someone with the arcade experience/collection like you is willing to share your goodies with others. It seems like in order for an arcade to be successful today the owner needs to have a strong passion of arcade gaming and culture, and not just care about making a profit. I’m very excited about your project and would love to see it grow and flourish into a mini arcade heaven.

I think one thing that would really set this apart from other arcades (like Ground Kontrol in Portland) would be a nice mix of newer and older games. It sounds like you’ve got quite a selection of games already which would definitely keep me interested in coming back to the arcade.

As for specific games I would like to see, I’m a bigger fan of older manic shooters (like Donpachi and Batsugun) but I also enjoy Cave’s newer games as well. However the games I would really like to see would be whatever games are popular with the average customer and make the arcade popular and hopefully a little profitable. I would imagine that would be newer games (I love your comment of Pink Sweets fitting the décor of PG, that’s a great point), but I don’t really have any specific ideas of what would be successful. I would recommend getting a game you’d really enjoy and hopefully other enjoy it as well.

As you can probably tell I’m a little excited about you’re new project. I’m pretty sure I’ve had a dream or two of going Japanese style arcades in Seattle, so I’m obviously looking forward to checking out PG soon. I’ll try to head down there today after work or later this weekend. I’ll definitely try to spread the word about the arcade to my friends but unfortunately that’s not too many people.

I’m not sure if you’d be interested or not but I might be able to contribute something to the arcade. I’ll have to talk to some people and I’m not sure if it would work out or not but I would love to do what I can to help support an authentic/home-grown arcade in Seattle.
marus

Post by marus »

I stopped by today, and saw the new setup in the back. Everything looks real nice. I think PG was a good place to set up an arcade in. They do a great job of keeping the store clean and well organized. The location is really good too. Most of the controls seem to be in good shape, except the Marvel cab which has really loose sticks and concave buttons. My only other complaint is that some of the games are expensive - $0.50 for Donkey Kong 3 and Marble Madness?

I tried Batrider for the first time today. It's really fun so far - it's definitely very flashy! The bullet patterns seem somewhere between a memorizer and a bullet hell. It's a little overwhelming with all of the different options, but should be fun once I figure out what the hell I'm doing. I'm a pretty bad player, but after just a couple credits I'm on stage 5 in the normal course. It looks like an easy 1CC, but I have no idea how scoring works.

I'm really happy that you're doing this for PG and the community. It's obvious that you're passionate about arcade gaming, and I think the arcade could have a bright future ahead of it. I haven't seen any arcades in Seattle with a good selection of shooters, so I hope you continue to expand the arcade. At any rate I'll be coming here more frequently after school.
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

I stopped by too. The Pop'n cabinet's monitor did not agree with me and I failed a song I can normally get 95,000 points on. Though I get thrown off my game easier than many. At any rate, thanks for doing what you're doing, and here's hoping it becomes an awesome arcade.

Oh yeah, I'd love to see some non-raizing shmups, but then again I'm no high priority since I live in Oly and won't be by much.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

A little update -- Fever S.O.S. is up and running in a Windy cab as of last night.
seattlexc wrote:I’m not sure if you’d be interested or not but I might be able to contribute something to the arcade. I’ll have to talk to some people and I’m not sure if it would work out or not but I would love to do what I can to help support an authentic/home-grown arcade in Seattle.
I'm definitely interested in any ideas, so be sure to let me know what you have in mind!
marus wrote:Most of the controls seem to be in good shape, except the Marvel cab which has really loose sticks and concave buttons. My only other complaint is that some of the games are expensive - $0.50 for Donkey Kong 3 and Marble Madness?
I'll be the first to admit that while I've casually played fighters over the years, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the fighting community. I actually just rebuilt that Marvel control panel (we're talking 3-4 days ago) with all new parts. I had new Happ Competition and Super joysticks so I did a little research, and it looked to me like people tend to prefer the Supers for fighting games, so I used those. As for the buttons, I just used some generic US style buttons that I had around. I definitely want to cater to the hardcore audience for each game, though, so if you have any insight into what kind of control setup is preferred by the majority of players, I'd love to hear it! I have heard that fighter players prefer stand-up cabs, but then some of them prefer candy cabs. I've heard they prefer Happ sticks, but then obviously a lot of them prefer Sanwas and such for home pads. I'm pretty lost on the whole thing but I'd love to do whatever will please the most people, so let me know what you think.

BTW, I'm totally aware that the monitor sucks on Marvel as well -- hope to get that fixed shortly.

As for the pricing, that's a bit of a tricky issue. The main problem right now is that PG started off with an op who had all his games set at $.25, despite the fact that the store has always wanted them to be at $.50. Now that we're phasing out the old op's games (only 2 remain right now), it's a little weird since some games are $.50 and some are $.25. Basically, I guess we look at it like this -- many other "premium" arcades in good (expensive) locations, meaning not just some half-working Ms Pac in a bar in Mukilteo, charge $.50 for classics these days, and people don't seem to mind too much. The PG guys probably wouldn't appreciate me giving out exact numbers, but the lineup of classics they've been running at $.25 for the last few months has been bringing in next to nothing -- we're talking barely 3 figures a month from all games combined, before the split. That's not even enough to fix a single board or a monitor that dies, or replace a control panel overlay that some Ave rat decides to carve his initials into. Several of the classics I'm bringing in have had a ton of money and effort put into them -- a Star Wars I'll be setting up later this week is the product of all the best parts from 3 different cabs, for example, and most of the other games have been similarly pieced together and made as nice as possible. So the thought of not only barely breaking even, but potentially losing money and most likely seeing some damage/wear to the games over time definitely freaks me out.

That said, like everything with this arcade, we're trying to cater to the players above all. We're definitely listening, and if enough people think the pricing sucks, we'll definitely change things up. It's all very much in the experimental feeling-out stage right now. For what it's worth, some guy was praising us yesterday for charging "only" $.50 for the classics, because the bar he frequents charges $.75!! :)
Mad Mage wrote:The Pop'n cabinet's monitor did not agree with me and I failed a song I can normally get 95,000 points on.
What was it about the monitor that threw you off? Too saturated/contrasty? Let me know and I'll tweak it, hopefully we can get it looking the way you like.

Thanks to all of you guys for coming in and for all the ideas and enthusiasm, by the way. We are all super stoked and are busting ass to try to get as much stuff set up and working nicely as possible, and every enthusiastic post directly feeds the energy we're putting into it!
marus

Post by marus »

No one I know likes the Happ Super sticks. For Marvel, it's almost always Happ/IL Competition or Perfect 360 sticks (if you can find the old ones made by Wico - the new models manufactured by Happ are full of defects). For buttons, most people prefer Happ Competition buttons (the convex buttons) because they're tactile and easy to mash. For any other fighting game, people usually use either Happ Competition or Sanwa JLF sticks - nowadays people usually prefer Japanese parts from what I've seen. I don't think anyone would complain about an LS-32 or something similar. As for stand up vs. candy cab - a lot of people appreciate the sitting area around the SF4 cab at Gameworks (which is a viewlix btw).

Of course, I'm just one guy, and I'm not exactly hardcore. If you want to get in touch with the fighting game community, http://www.shoryuken.com forum's are the best place to do so. If you ask in the Northwest Regional forums then I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help you out as far as spreading the word and letting you know what games and setups people want to see.

About the pricing - if you're not making a profit then I guess it can't be helped. I've only been in Seattle since last September, and the only other arcade I go to frequently is Gameworks, which is where I was comparing to. Over there the 'retro' games are $0.25. If no one finds it a problem though, then $0.50 is fine too - I definitely don't want to have to play on broken cabs just because you're not making enough money, so do what you have to do!
iyaaaanitsFuku

Post by iyaaaanitsFuku »

Make sure to get Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move on Neo Geo. That'll get lots of playtime from both sexes.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

It sounds like you and the guys at PG are working around the clock on the arcade. I really appreciate all the work you guys are doing.

I would love to see a Neo-Geo machine in the arcade. I don’t know how easy they are to come by but the 4-slot machines are sweet. I’m a huge fan of Bust-a-Move and Metal Slug (mostly MS 3), I might actually play those games more than a shmup. I remember Beths (the 24 hour diner off of Green Lake and Aurora) had a Neo Geo machine a while ago but I think they replaced it with some generic light gun shooter. It had one of the crappy Metal Slug games, maybe MS 4, but I still played it a good amount.

edit - I missed the hours in the opening post :oops:
iyaaaanitsFuku

Post by iyaaaanitsFuku »

I just mentioned Bust-a-Move and you ignored it. :(

Here is my recommendation.

MVS 1-slot
*Bust-a-Move

OR

MVS 4-slot
*Bust-a-Move
*Metal Slug X OR Metal Slug 3
*Samurai Shodown 2 OR Samurai Shodown V Special
*Strikers 1945 Plus OR another vertizontal shmup like Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

I don't really play many shmups but I'm starting to get into it I guess. Batrider is basically super awesome so I'll certainly play that a lot. Anyway I live in this general area and will definitely be here every Saturday from roughly 2pm-4pm or later. As the name implies, I play music games. As the name *doesn't* imply, I also play Tetris the Grand Master.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

iyaaaanitsFuku wrote:I just mentioned Bust-a-Move and you ignored it. :(
Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you. I'm glad to see there are other BaM fans. I got a chance to play a PCB version of it in an arcade over in Japan, it’s an addicting game!
iyaaaanitsFuku wrote: MVS 4-slot
*Bust-a-Move
*Metal Slug X OR Metal Slug 3
*Samurai Shodown 2 OR Samurai Shodown V Special
*Strikers 1945 Plus OR another vertizontal shmup like Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings.
Nice selection, especially the Metal Slug games. Personally I’d switch out the shmup game for Wind Jammers to make my ideal 4-slot set up. I’ve never been a huge fan of mvs shmups and I played Wind Jammers to death when I was a kid. However as long as there is Bust a Move and an early Metal Slug game I’d be happy.

Hello Kevin, I might stop by PG this Saturday. I'll be sure to say hi if I do.
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

bobbyconover wrote:
What was it about the monitor that threw you off? Too saturated/contrasty? Let me know and I'll tweak it, hopefully we can get it looking the way you like.
The monitor was vibrant, but the contrast does not highlight the colors in the background of the the play screen much (the lines that show the vertical button legend if that makes sense). Actually, what I think threw me off is the refresh rate. Just looking at the monitor, even static pictures felt jumpy. Again, I could just be super sensitive, but you should asked other pop'n players and see if they have a problem.

Oh, and my input on pricing is that I have absolutely no problem paying 50 cents to 1 dollar for shmups (that's what they cost in Japan after all), and no problem paying 50 cents for fighting games. However, I think older games (like beat 'em ups) and classic games would probably fare better at 25 cents. People die really fast at old games like donkey kong, unless they are pros, whereas a good shmup player can get 20+ minutes on a shmup they are familiar with.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

seattlexc wrote:Nice selection, especially the Metal Slug games. Personally I’d switch out the shmup game for Wind Jammers to make my ideal 4-slot set up.
Haha, we have pretty similar tastes! I owned a 4-slot cab for years and when I sold it off, I basically kept just a 1-slot board (to put in a Jamma cabinet), Windjammers, and the Metal Slug games. I would definitely be in favor of giving Windjammers a slot.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a 4-slot Neo. Since the candy cabs are in short supply and are already spoken for by a bunch of other stuff (including possibly TGM, as Kevin mentioned) I don't think I'll be putting a Neo in any of them, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for a separate dedicated cab.

Kinda sad actually, I just sold a Twinkle Star Sprites cart a while back. That would be really cool to have in a 4-slot lineup.

I'm going to keep playing with PCBs and gauging interest, so don't be surprised if the lineup changes in the days to come. I will leave the shmup cabs alone, so don't worry about them being gone if you show up, but I will probably swap around PCBs in the cab that is currently Mr Driller G.

Some personal faves I own and would like to try in there include:

Technic Beat
Libble Rabble
The Outfoxies (if I can get it fixed or buy a replacement)
Bubble Symphony
Bubble Memories
Elevator Action Returns
Star Trigon
Don Doko Don
Ninja Baseball Bat Man
Tenkomori Shooting
And more!

Oh, and Mad Mage, I'll tweak the monitor a bit tonight. I don't know if anything can be done about the refresh rate but I think I know what you mean about the background being a bit faded -- I noticed that the Pop'n Fever logo behind the notes was barely visible last time I was there.
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

You have quite a collection, bobby. I look forward to playing Outfoxies on a real cabinet, because it's simply one of the coolest, most unique games ever.

I wasn't gonna go into detail about the Pop'n monitor, because I'm not an expert on monitor repair, but yeah, I'm not sure much can be done to fix it up. In Japan, arcades are ditching their old Pop'n cabinets left and right for the new smaller version which I think was introduced with 16 (not positive), and I think the reason is because the old Pop'n monitors do tend to lose their contrast and stability.
marus

Post by marus »

Don Doko Don actually looks kinda fun... :oops:
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

I just wanted to let you know I stopped by Wednesday to check out the arcade. I really like the set up, seeing a candy cab near the entrance was nice. I mostly played Fever SOS, which I’ve played in the past a little but was surprised how much I enjoyed playing it at PG. Maybe it was because I was playing it on a proper candy cab rather than my laptop via mame, or maybe it was the sweet pink joystick/buttons you had on the cab (which had a great feel to it).

Anyways, I’m already planning my next trip there. I’m excited to see what new games you have in store for the cab near the entrance. I’ve never heard of The Outfoxies but if it’s a unique arcade game I would love to try it out.
bobbyconover wrote:
Haha, we have pretty similar tastes! I owned a 4-slot cab for years and when I sold it off, I basically kept just a 1-slot board (to put in a Jamma cabinet), Windjammers, and the Metal Slug games. I would definitely be in favor of giving Windjammers a slot.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a 4-slot Neo. Since the candy cabs are in short supply and are already spoken for by a bunch of other stuff (including possibly TGM, as Kevin mentioned) I don't think I'll be putting a Neo in any of them, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for a separate dedicated cab.

Haha, that’s great I’m not the only person who likes Wind Jammers. I also agree with you about having a 4-slot in a dedicated Neo Geo machine rather than a candy cab. For me playing MVS games on the old black and red Neo Geo cabinets really adds to the overall experience. It just wouldn’t be the same on a sleek white candy cab.