Gradius Gaiden

saucykobold

Re: Gradius Gaiden

Post by saucykobold »

saucykobold - 2,192,140 - 4R-1ST - Falchion Beta - S?OLDM - Limit
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I need to pick this game back up. This is my one game where I'm not in the bottom percentiles.

However, how am I gonna 1CC the first loop again? XD
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

AAP[P_Hat] - 396,XXX 1R-6ST Vic Viper SMDLO? - Force Field

Damn, was ok until the boss then just "run into the wall". :x :x :x

Don't include this pathetic score to scoreboard pls.)
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Zerst - 1,052,190 - 2R-6ST - Vic Viper - SMDLO? - Guard
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
dannnnn

Re:

Post by dannnnn »

dannnnn - 2,765,700 - 4R-9ST - Falchion Beta - SOM?DL - Force Field

Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Just barely cleared this game, but was definitely not prepared for the second loop snow avalanches pulling you under. :evil:

Here's my crappy score:

CIT - 692,420 - 2R-1ST - Vic Viper - SO?MDL - Force Field

pegboy

Post by pegboy »

pegboy - 3,557,970 - 5R-7ST - Jade Knight - ?SODML - Limit

Here's my 4th loop video, which ends just over 3 million points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKfS7GimRg
My run continued on until 5-7, where I got the game over. I usually don't post videos for loops that aren't cleared, but I could post the loop 5 part if needed.

Thanks!

Edit: Loop 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8TmA6-p35E
Last edited by pegboy on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles – 1,295,110 – 2-8 – Vic Viper – SODM?L - Force Field

Did not expect to run into another boss at the boss parade. Needless to say, the results weren't exactly stellar. I need to get back to this at some point, my thirst for the 2-ALL must be quenched.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Any reason why my score wasn't accepted? I played on the hardest difficulty setting and still beat all the scores except for the top score. If anything, difficulties above default should be allowed, as it is even harder to score high since you don't and easy early game where you can rake up tons of lives. If it can't be accepted in the standard scoreboard could a separate one be created for the different difficulties above normal?
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Recently got a copy of Gradius Gaiden and am loving it! Such a pollished game. I managed to complete the first loop while completely falling apart on 2-1 :roll:
All settings are on default PSX version.

sky-13 - 757,780 - 2R-1ST - Jade Knight - SOD?ML - Force Field
WARNING: no refuge
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I just picked this game up three months or so ago. I love how detailed every aspect of this game... its obvious a lot of care went into it!

And... now I finally beat it!! (and then proceeded to get killed in a flurry of suicide bullets)

Carmen - 831 380 - 2R-4ST - Lord British - SMDLO? (default) - Force Field

And... I haven't even got to try to the other fighters yet... I can't wait to try them out and see how they perform. Seriously, why are there not more games like this??
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Kollision – 1,134,460 – 2-5 – Vic Viper – SOMD?L - Force Field

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limit!

Perikles - 2,948,490 - 4-8 - Vic Viper - S?ODML - Limit

Something more appropriate for this outstanding game! Fitting end for the run, Heaven's Gate (Codename: Scary Core) finished me off; considering that he was the major roadblock when I tried to get a 2-ALL before it seems only adequate that he was allowed to deliver the coup de grâce. Could've been a 4-ALL, but that's how it works with Gradius Gaiden: sometimes you play astoundingly well during excruciatingly tough parts, sometimes you die over and over on silly checkpoints (several deaths on the plant boss in loop 4, for example). Can't be helped.

Since my nostalgia for (oldschool! '93 and '94 for the win!) Magic is in full bloom right now I couldn't help but think that Gradius Gaiden has a few spiritual similarities. Constructing your ship is like creating a deck, assigning power-up capsules for the shield is a bit like managing mana - if you pick up too many capsules and thus deny yourself the shield during critical situations (Limit in particular) you got a severe case of mana burn (yeah, those infidels abrogated it, I don't care)! The peculiar thing is that I don't consider my set-up to be all that efficient. Limit is a perfect choice for the Falchion Beta (synergizes splendidly against bosses) and pegboy's constellation for the Jade Knight is simply outstanding (optimizing the effect by putting the Limit in the first spot!), but the Vic Viper doesn't benefit all that much from it. And still, I don't feel nearly as comfortable playing with the other ships. :)

Well, with that I got satisfiable scores for all my beloved games up. Should play Gradius IV and V in due time, can't just abandon the series, now can I? I'm sure I'd love Rebirth and its focus on excessive looping, but I don't own a Wii...