Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Skyknight

Re: Xeno Fighters R (February 10, 2010: v0.6 Beta RC4 released)

Post by Skyknight »

{notices something in the filenames of the level clear songs}

...So Miria is going to be in here?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

@Skynight:
I also noticed [ClearLWings] (for Michelle, which has been previewed on YouTube but I dont see it in the menu, cut out or do I have to unlock it somehow?), [ClearStrikers], [ClearGuardian], [ClearFalchionB] in the config, and the boss theme for Stage 4-B included in the music ZIP folder. I have a generic clear theme in the Thunder Force Music Mod and included these tags for compatibility in case there's something about them I don't know about, but I'm not really fussed. 20 ships is great for me, and I'm still trying to find the ship most suited to me out of them but it's looking like I'm the best with Phyxius, followed by Lord British and then Jade Knight and then everything else.
Oh by the way, you got MSN Skynight?
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

Okay, now its working, and its damn awesome.
Great work on this, it is now my favorite fangame ever, lol.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

An issue someone found:

The Conquest Mode menu to retry a stage, or change stage/fighter. Do not hit the Enter key, otherwise the game will break. If this happens, press the Escape key to reset the game.

This will be fixed in v0.7.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

All I have to say right now, is that this game is really damn hard.

I really suck at it, lol.
Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

I only started to do well once I started really practicing with Lord British. Jade Knight is fantastic offense wise, but it moved so fast that I couldn't tell if I was dodging the shots or not. it became a game of hoping the force field was still active after awhile.

seriously though, this was way better than I was ever expecting it to be. I never even noticed that the parobee midboss was DDP first boss pattern wise until i played to that point.
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

EDIT: Removed links to versions containing gamebreaking glitches. New links further down.
Last edited by EddyMRA on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.6 Beta Final)

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Just had a chat with Alluro on MSN guys, if you have any issues regarding the missing Miria and the Strikers 1945 P-38 they're being fixed.
Thunder Force Music Mod coming soon. :D
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

NOTE: Fixed one gamebreaking glitch in these new downloads.

Hopefully all the annoying major bugs have been fixed. This is what I can safely call v0.6 Beta Final. I try to address bugs as I receive reports of them during the RC phase. This will be the last release of v0.6 Beta I will do. Future versions will have a higher version number, focusing on getting stages done like 3-A and 6-B.

EXE Only - if you have a previous RC installed already, just download this and overwrite the older EXE (11.72 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/file/wrzjtwydo ... update.zip

v0.6 Final full ZIP package - EXE, DLLs, external resources (23.33 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrinedmdm ... _Final.zip

The optional default MP3 music pack (38.52 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?lhfju23dmly

Xeno Fighters R v0.6 Beta Final Changelog

*FIXED: Looping sounds (ambient sounds, default boss warning siren) no longer play over the Game Over text.
*FIXED: Looping sounds no longer continue playing when exiting a stage using the Conquest Menu.
*FIXED: Pressing the Enter key in the Conquest menu no longer causes the game to break. The Fire key confirms the menu selections now.
*CHANGED: Stage 4-A Boss Obsidian Peryton's second form is now more aggressive.
*ADDED: Michelle (Legendary Wings), Kevin (Michelle's alternate), Miria (The Guardian Legend), P-38 (fully Strikers 1945 version), Zero Fighter (Strikers P-38's alternate), and Winbee have been added to the ship roster. These fighters still need balance tweaks (that's the reason why they were not available in earlier RC's), so expect these fighters to be either very underpowered or very overpowered. Report balance issues and other problems you may find with these new fighters if you can.
Last edited by EddyMRA on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredrikpj

Post by fredrikpj »

Awesome awesome game :D
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Help! the game doesn't work! it says error game init 3 or something...

I've downloaded v.06 Final (23.33mb).
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Meyers07 wrote:Help! the game doesn't work! it says error game init 3 or something...

How did you extract the files and run the game?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Got MSN? I'll see what I can do to help you out. :)

Also, I seem to have this strange issue with all versions of 0.6 where autofire stops working if I hold down SHIFT and the music changes for a boss. Does anyone else have this issue?
It should be simple to replicate - Go to the Black Heart test stage or any other stage that you prefer and hold down the fire button. When the music changes, you suddenly stop shooting (on mine anyway).
Now Alluro doesn't seem to have this problem and no one else has reported it, but does anyone have this occuring on their PCs as well? Does it happen only on a specific PC? Please do say something if this is the case.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alluro wrote:
Meyers07 wrote:Help! the game doesn't work! it says error game init 3 or something...

I got the same error. I extracted the files using the archive helper of Mac OSX, before transferring the extracted files to an older Laptop running Windows.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

From http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Mak ... dows_Vista :
Problems with 64 bit versions of Windows.

Both Game maker 7 and Game Maker 8 appear to have issues running on the 64 bit versions of Windows. This seems to be a common issue with many 32 bit applications. Running the 64 bit versions of Windows in "32 bit compatibility mode" doesn't seem to help. However it's possible that a free program called Virtual Box (http://www.virtualbox.org/) might offer a solution for some of you. It allows you to install Windows XP on a "virtual machine" and then you can run GM8 under XP. Quote form one user "It takes a little while to install, but it has solved the problem. Now I can run other 32 bit applications that did not work well on the Windows 7 64 bit system."
v0.6 of Xeno Fighters R was made in Game Maker 8, which is currently known to have problems under Windows 7.

If you are trying to run this game on a 64-bit operating system, try setting game EXE under "32-bit compatibility mode".

Also, if you are running 64-bit Windows 7, and are getting "Error defining an external function" upon launching the game, try rebooting your computer and running the game again. That was the suggestion given to me by the creator of the GMBinFile.DLL that XF-R uses.
nZero

Post by nZero »

More custom soundtrack fun, featuring a reasonably safe route through the first 2 stages of Arcade Mode in v0.6 using the Raiden mk-IIβ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNgMrhGBwM

Enjoy!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I've uploaded my own set of songs (replacing all active stage/boss songs except "Chop U!", since that one was my suggestion)...

http://www.mediafire.com/?2gnrgu520dj

{hopes that he got fitting songs after all}
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Alluro wrote:

I've just extract the v.06 final (23.33mb) without archive problems (completed download).

My OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2, but can't remember whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Meyers07 wrote:
Alluro wrote:

I've just extract the v.06 final (23.33mb) without archive problems (completed download).

My OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2, but can't remember whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit.
Extract every file from the ZIP into one folder. The game needs the DLL files and the INI files in the same folder to even run. I have XP SP2 on the computer I developed this game.
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

What do you mean? I've done that. Folders: External and music (the music folder is filled in by MP3 download featured). files: the exe, three dlls and three inis, all on one folder. Guess i should give it a try later...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Someone should make a music mod with the tracks from the STG covers album.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Herr Schatten wrote:Someone should make a music mod with the tracks from the STG covers album.
*thumbs up*
Nice idea!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Hey, you guys could've told me yous had Thunder Force remixes in that, I might have put those in my music mod! :wink:

Speaking of which,
http://www.mediafire.com/?uhyxztw4mtn

There it is. Readme included, has tracklist.
Enjoy!

Also, anyone that likes the original opening theme for Thunder Force IV can use Blackheart2_TF.ogg instead of Blackheart_TF.ogg and thus use a looped version of the original Megadrive theme to take on Black Heart. :D
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Meyers07 wrote:What do you mean? I've done that. Folders: External and music (the music folder is filled in by MP3 download featured). files: the exe, three dlls and three inis, all on one folder. Guess i should give it a try later...
And it's still doesn't work! Game init error something, Error defining an external function something...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

What kind of computer are you using? Is it a school computer, home family computer, what is it?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Meyers07 wrote:
Meyers07 wrote:What do you mean? I've done that. Folders: External and music (the music folder is filled in by MP3 download featured). files: the exe, three dlls and three inis, all on one folder. Guess i should give it a try later...
And it's still doesn't work! Game init error something, Error defining an external function something...
I get the same error, although my config is a little unique - Taito Type X2 (WinXP Embedded SP2) :wink:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Dave_K. wrote:I get the same error, although my config is a little unique - Taito Type X2 (WinXP Embedded SP2) :wink:
Awesome! If this was a title for Type X2, I'd actually consider getting a mobo.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I think I remember having the "unable to define external function" problem once with GM8 even though all my DLLs were in the right spot on a game I was making, a rebuild of the game seemed to fix it. Doing a rebuild over the EXE didn't work, but deleting the EXE and rebuilding it seemed to work.

I still have no clue what causes this problem though, I got past it so quickly I didn't even notice. I do remember that running the EXE would cause it, while running from the GMK wouldn't while it was happening.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
raigon50

Post by raigon50 »

Sorry if someone has allready asked, but could it be possible to get the ChoRenSha 68k ship and a Touhou character (don't really care who) in the game? They both come from popular/famous games, so I don't think there would be anyone who would recognized them (well, someone might not recognize the Touhou character, but if you use Raimu or Marisa, I'm sure mostly everone would know who they are.)

If you only want arcade ships though, can you put in R-9A "Arrow-Head" or "R-9Leo" (R-9Leo's name is obvious) along with the ship from Daioh and Trigon? Image Fight would be cool suggestion to.
When the bullets shoot bullets, you know you have a problem.

Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

emphatic wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:I get the same error, although my config is a little unique - Taito Type X2 (WinXP Embedded SP2) :wink:
Awesome! If this was a title for Type X2, I'd actually consider getting a mobo.
You'd be better of using a regular PC and JPAC, seriously, as thats all I'm doing with the X2 to play doujin games on my trisync cab.