The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Hi. My name is prof. ganson, and I'm a shmup-aholic.
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

Hello, all. I'm relatively new here, though I was on the old board for a while. I've been playing videogames of one kind or another for as long as I can remember. Pong was our first home console, and it moved on from there. I really got into collecting in the early '90s, and shmups have been one of my favorite genres since long before then. I remember skipping class in high school to play Truxton and R-Type.

Anyways, some of my current favorites include Raiden (any of them, though I have yet to try III :)), Soukyugurentai, and Armed Police Batrider.

I'm actually not particularly good at shmups (as opposed to driving games, which seem to come as second nature), but I still love playing them.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I am Gaijin Punch. Nice to meet you.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I see that you're from Ontario as well, Bishamon D:
russ

Post by russ »

I think I'd consider myself fairly new here too. I'm russ, some guy in Texas. I just graduated High School, and have been into shmups since I was a wee little tot. I too skipped school to enjoy them at one point - when I was 11, my friend and I would skip P.E. and lunch to go to this 7/11 and play Raiden Fighters.

Anyways, favorite shooters: Ketsui, R-Type III, and Raiden II. Other stuff: I like a few RPGs ("Tales" series is my fav), and online FPS games.

Good to be here. 8)
"No beer until you've finished your tequila!"
Kamakazie

Post by Kamakazie »

Currently playing:

ESP Galuda
Battlefield 2
Meteos

Sorry to disappoint with the extreme lack of shmups on that list :)
MNK

Post by MNK »

Been around this site for ages, under different names no less, but never posted much. Used to have a lot of games for all kinds of systems (DC, PS, PS2, Saturn, Megadrive etc etc..boring) but nedless to say didn't put much quality time into any of them. Today I'm down to only around 10 shooters I really enjoy and consider worthy of my time :wink:. Quite a fan of the Neogeo and hopefully some future purchases will include Pulstar, Strikers 1945 Plus, Prehistoric Isle 2, Zedblade and maybe Viewpoint. A few games I've managed to complete on 1 credit and think shows my preferred gamestyle are Blazing Star, In the Hunt, Last Resort and Metal Slug. I do like arcade run 'n guns as much as shooters and it's easy to switch between the two of them. Currently playing : well since I can't decide which one to purchase next, Pulstar, Metal Slug 2 or S1945 Plus, I started to play the original R-type in Mame and found it to be very enjoyable despite it's age. My goal is to finish the first loop on 1 credit.
Kamakazie

Post by Kamakazie »

MNK wrote:I started to play the original R-type in Mame and found it to be very enjoyable despite it's age. My goal is to finish the first loop on 1 credit.
Good luck with that, try for R-Type 2 after you've done it :)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Blade here, and no offense to this thread's maker or the posters thereof, the only thing worse than Forum Spam is getting caught in Shmup Bullet Spam, keep that in mind.

We need more Gundam Shmups, that's all I'll say.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

SFKhoa wrote:I see that you're from Ontario as well, Bishamon D:
Yep. :) St. Catharines; about 60 mins from Toronto.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

sven666 wrote:hello and welcome to all you new members :)

hows bout writing a little about yourselves as an introduction ? ;)
Very well:

I've been a gamer since the late 80's. I'm a big fan of Castlevania, NES Ninja Gaiden, Gradius, Doom, and Silent Hill, and a huge Atari fanboy. I've recently become obsessed with shmups, and I'm still working on that first 1cc.

Favorites:
Gradius Gaiden
Gradius IV
Raiden (Jag version)
Tempest 2000
Contra: Shattered Soldier (dunno whether it counts as a shmup)
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

PFG 9000 wrote:
sven666 wrote:hello and welcome to all you new members :)

hows bout writing a little about yourselves as an introduction ? ;)
Very well:

I've been a gamer since the late 80's. I'm a big fan of Castlevania, NES Ninja Gaiden, Gradius, Doom, and Silent Hill, and a huge Atari fanboy. I've recently become obsessed with shmups, and I'm still working on that first 1cc.

Favorites:
Gradius Gaiden
Gradius IV
Raiden (Jag version)
Tempest 2000
Contra: Shattered Soldier (dunno whether it counts as a shmup)
Sh*t.

I forgot about Tempest. I have the PSX version. One of the best shooters of all time.
Fight Like A Robot!
flux

Post by flux »

I'm fairly new here, although I posted a little bit on the old board.
Most of my gaming time right now gets put into music games (IIDX, ITG, PIU, Pop'n music, Beatmania, etc.), but I try to keep up with shmups. My weakness is that I never want to put work into 1ccing a shmups. As soon as I focus on one, I find another to get and play, or I changed my mind and start working on something else.

shmups I'm working on:
DonPachi
Gigawing
ESP.Ra.De.
DDP

Other games:
Lumines
IIDX
ITG
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Bloodreign wrote:One familiar face to me here is PFG 9000, welcome to the definitive shmup site on the net man.
Thanks for the welcome. Good to see you here!
Galderic

Post by Galderic »

Hi all

I´m another newcomer

Currently playing:

Thunder Force IV (every day hear the music n mp3,specially stage 3 part2, stage 4 part1, omake 4.......... )
Phalanx (stage 1 music, good and others.........) --SNES
Raystorm--PSX
Einhänder--PSX
R-type Delta , r-type series I,II,III, Leo--PSX, Mame
Zanac Neo---PSX
Dodonpachi---PSX
Thunderforce V--PSX (Coming soon....)
Gradius Gaiden---PSX
Raycrisis--PSX(Coming soon.........)
G-Darius--PSX(Coming soon.....)
Darius Gaiden Sylverhawk---Mame
Axelay---SNES (Stage 1 good music and stage 6.......)

I like good music n shmups
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Galderic wrote:Hi all

I´m another newcomer

Currently playing:

Thunder Force IV (every day hear the music n mp3,specially stage 3 part2, stage 4 part1, omake 4.......... )
Phalanx (stage 1 music, good and others.........) --SNES
Raystorm--PSX
Einhänder--PSX
R-type Delta , r-type series I,II,III, Leo--PSX, Mame
Zanac Neo---PSX
Dodonpachi---PSX
Thunderforce V--PSX (Coming soon....)
Gradius Gaiden---PSX
Raycrisis--PSX(Coming soon.........)
G-Darius--PSX(Coming soon.....)
Darius Gaiden Sylverhawk---Mame
Axelay---SNES (Stage 1 good music and stage 6.......)

If you like Axeleys stage 1 music you should check this awesome remix out http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00717/
TGK

Post by TGK »

Swift kick to keep this thread on top!

Anyhow, Raycrisis PC can be downloaded from the Underdogs (www.the-underdogs.org), the sound track in wave format can be found inside. Those wav files are encrypted in a special way that not a lot of players can play them. So far only Winamp plays them AFAIK.

Raycrisis has awesome music...

Ikaruga has awesome music...

Trizeal has decent or awesome music depending on your taste... (it's bordering awesome to me)

EDF (arcade) has some really good tracks, downloadable from www.slightlydark.com

Dodonpachi OST is also quite good... BUT WHERE DO I FIND IT ARGRGRGR!!!!!!

19XX The War Against Destiny... stage 2, 3, 4, 6, and all boss music are good.

Axelay... the final stage and the organic stage has my vote for best art direction in a shmup.

Life Force (NES) has very good music... get the (very well-made) midis from www.vgmusic.com, and some awesome remixes at www.vgmix.com

---------------------

Off topic, www.vgmix.com is another video game remix site beside ocremix. It has a free-for-all submission policy and no restriction on file size (and as a result, song length). A lot of people know about ocremix, so I'll plug for vgmix. It is a good site!
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
TGK

Post by TGK »

Batsugun is regarded by many as having awesome music, but I have never played it in an arcade, nor do I have a Saturn. I would love to listen to the sound track. Anyone can point me to a place to find it?

Ah yes, Senko No Ronde has one awesome track, I think it's named Assembly or something similar.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

An Self-Introduction thread? Well okay....

I'm a few months new to the forum. I've been playing video games since the late 80's, and have been a shmupper for about 7 years now. The first shmup I can remember playing was 'Gradius' for the NES, but back then I wasn't really into the shooter genre. Infact, it wasn't until I bought 'Darius Gaiden', for my Japanese Saturn, that I really wanted to play more games like it. The next game I bought was 'Layer Section' and that pretty much started my shmup craving/addiction. It's the greatest video game genre IMHO.

By joining this forum, I've been able to learn more about the shmup genre, thanks to the help from the fellow shmuppers here. I just wish I would've joined up sooner. I probably would've had a bigger collection by now. :)

Glad to be a part of this forum!
Galderic

Post by Galderic »

theevilfunkster wrote:
If you like Axeleys stage 1 music you should check this awesome remix out http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00717/

Thank you for the link of Axelay remix theevilfunkster, I know a similar remix but I forget the link, sorry
Galderic

Post by Galderic »

TGK wrote:
Swift kick to keep this thread on top!

Anyhow, Raycrisis PC can be downloaded from the Underdogs (www.the-underdogs.org), the sound track in wave format can be found inside. Those wav files are encrypted in a special way that not a lot of players can play them. So far only Winamp plays them AFAIK.

Raycrisis has awesome music...

Ikaruga has awesome music...

Trizeal has decent or awesome music depending on your taste... (it's bordering awesome to me)

EDF (arcade) has some really good tracks, downloadable from www.slightlydark.com

Dodonpachi OST is also quite good... BUT WHERE DO I FIND IT ARGRGRGR!!!!!!

19XX The War Against Destiny... stage 2, 3, 4, 6, and all boss music are good.

Axelay... the final stage and the organic stage has my vote for best art direction in a shmup.

Life Force (NES) has very good music... get the (very well-made) midis from www.vgmusic.com, and some awesome remixes at www.vgmix.com

---------------------

Off topic, www.vgmix.com is another video game remix site beside ocremix. It has a free-for-all submission policy and no restriction on file size (and as a result, song length). A lot of people know about ocremix, so I'll plug for vgmix. It is a good site!

Wow!! I don´t know the free download link of raycrisis and www.slightlydark.com direction, thank you TGK for the information.

You can find Dodonpachi OST n emule, write dodonpachi in search and you find it with mp3 (iso-mp3), but I don´t know the quality of mp3 (kbps)

mp3 of mysterious thunderforce VI game : http://www.sega-16.com/Features%20Secti ... 05p_mp.mp3

video of cancelled thunderforce VI: http://www.sega-16.com/Feature-%20Thunder%20Force.htm
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

PFG 9000 wrote:
Bloodreign wrote:One familiar face to me here is PFG 9000, welcome to the definitive shmup site on the net man.
Thanks for the welcome. Good to see you here!
Yes I fooled around long enough just reading posts and checking out top scores that I had to join, a man can really learn about some great shooters here, as well as shmup terminology.
Danny

Post by Danny »

This should really be made a sticky so all new commers in the future know were to come!

Oh and welcome one and all! :)

OK... A bit cheeky me saying that really since I've not been here very long myself but I thought I will welcome people newer to the boards than me!
MNK

Post by MNK »

Kamakazie wrote:
MNK wrote:I started to play the original R-type in Mame and found it to be very enjoyable despite it's age. My goal is to finish the first loop on 1 credit.
Good luck with that, try for R-Type 2 after you've done it :)
I've worked out stage 1-6 but definitely need some of that luck getting past stage 7 ;).
TGK

Post by TGK »

Kick this thread on top!
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

TGK wrote:Kick this thread on top!
Which province are you from anyway?
TGK

Post by TGK »

SFKhoa wrote:
TGK wrote:Kick this thread on top!
Which province are you from anyway?
Vancouver, BC
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

You know we have 2 other guys in this forum that's from Vancouver as well, hehe.
TGK

Post by TGK »

SFKhoa wrote:You know we have 2 other guys in this forum that's from Vancouver as well, hehe.
haha, nice! I don't know if they knew but UBC campus arcade has ESPrade, Raiden Fighters, and some other shmups (Zero Gunner too if I remember right).

PNE arcade also have a bunch of shmups.

and near where I work there's Zero Wing! haha

I suck now though cuz I don't have much playtime anymore :(
Visceral_1

Post by Visceral_1 »

Hey there everybody,

My name is Visceral_1 and I've been lurking around here for the past two years or so. I often come to this site just to get news on the latest shmup releases. Currently living and working in Japan (Aomori) but I will soon relocate back to Whitby, Ontario, Canada. Kinda sucks considering I was lucky enought to be here for some major Shmup releases (galuda, mushi, psikyo collections, and what not) but will miss the Raiden 3 release and hopefully Ibara in the future (but my brother here can always send them to me hehe).

As for shooters, currently playing Raiden DX and Sengoku Blade. What started it all for me was UN Squadron and Forgotten Worlds. Can't wait for the Capcom Collection for FW this september. Umm... yeah... my biggest shmup accomplishment was being able to make it to the wall boss on level 7 of Gradius V on 1 credit then promptly giving up due to lack of skill and perserverance. *shrugs*

Take it easy,

Visceral