Consolized multi-PCB supergun - game switching question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
iatneH

Consolized multi-PCB supergun - game switching question

Post by iatneH »

Since I cut down my PCB collection, I have no more JAMMA stuff except for Ibara which I have already consolized into its own dedicated supergun, and OutZone & ESP RaDe.

I want to build a similar dedicated setup for the remaining two boards, but to have both of the games enclosed. My question is about how to switch between the two games without having to open up the case and physically plug the JAMMA harness into a different PCB.

Is it safe to daisy-chain two JAMMA harnesses, with a simple toggle switch that cuts power and GND to one or the other PCB? Will there be audio/video/button signal feedback or other damage if I do this?

This is all depending on whether I can find a suitable enclosure, otherwise I may just stack them up on plexi with open sides, and just have the single JAMMA harness to swap around. And it might be a couple of months before I can start on this project anyway...
jonny5

Re: Consolized multi-PCB supergun - game switching question

Post by jonny5 »

3rd item down....exactly what you need....

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

no idea on quality tho
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Thanks j5, I was hoping for something simple to DIY, but it looks a bit non-trivial electronically. Oh well, I'll have a couple of months to plan it anyhow.
dpful

Post by dpful »

yeah, i think you need a pecial part. I tried it once a long time ago and I think I remember having probs. If you wanted to diy with lots of wires, they make a 50(or so) throw, multi pole switch boxes for big computer wires (to switch printers or something? I don't know, I've just seen these boxes- I used one to switch between hacked control pads in a mega cab I made once that had lots of home consoles in it).
viletim

Post by viletim »

iatneH,

You can use a diodes on the controls lines of each board to isolate the signals. That leaves power (+5V, +12V), video (R, G, B, Sync), and speaker (SPK+, SPK-) to switch. Some mechanical relays or switches should do the trick here. Make sure the contacts for the power are rated for at least 10A and the speaker 2A.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Thank you viletim, I had a thought somewhere along those lines so I will try that first.

That's it for now, I'll bring this thread back in a couple of months when the project starts...