black borders in tate on a 4:3 screen

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
matrigs

black borders in tate on a 4:3 screen

Post by matrigs »

hi there !

afaik tate mode is meant to be simply 3:4 format. i have a few consoles connected to an old orion crt tv. when i play in yoko i have the obviously small screen with the black borders or wallpaper. when i change into yoko mode, the image gets rotated but i still have black borders (although much smaller, about 4 inch on each side) and the picture seems a bit squished. you can see that on the picture below (sorry for the bad quality).

this is from triggerheart exelica on the ps2. this happens also with ibara, dodonpachi and mushihimesama on the ps2, ikaruga on the gamecube and strikers 1945 on the psx. the psx and ps2 are connected over euro/scart cables and the gamecube over a chinch s-video cable and a s-video to euro/scart converter into my tv. i only have a euro/scart plug in my tv.

is this a common problem on old tv sets or did i miss something ?

thanks in advance
DC906270

Re: black borders in tate on a 4:3 screen

Post by DC906270 »

no usually it ould be full screen in Tate (no black borders). might sound obvious, but can you change the screen settings on your tv (you may have it in widescreen/letterbox mode)?
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

no i can't. it's a very old tv and there is no menu at all in it.

i still like it. it has still quite vivid colours and i got it for free so i won't be picky :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Same as on my sister's old TV set. It's a european CRT, right ? The borders are caused by it's semi-60Hz/RGB-incompatibility. If you feed a 50Hz signal you'll have fullscreen.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

hm. that's a bit weird.

before i bought the scart/euro cable i used a s-video cable and a converter for my ps2 which resulted in a black screen in ntsc games. i had to rip them and use a patch called "ntsc to pal" converter which allowed me to play them in colour on my pal tv. if i understand correctly this patch actually drives the game at 50 hz right ?

i tried this with mushihimesama but the borders are still there, hence the 50 hz. am i missing something ?
nZero

Post by nZero »

matrigs wrote:hm. that's a bit weird.

before i bought the scart/euro cable i used a s-video cable and a converter for my ps2 which resulted in a black screen in ntsc games. i had to rip them and use a patch called "ntsc to pal" converter which allowed me to play them in colour on my pal tv. if i understand correctly this patch actually drives the game at 50 hz right ?

i tried this with mushihimesama but the borders are still there, hence the 50 hz. am i missing something ?
No, the patch just changes the colorsystem. The games are still running in 60Hz.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

thank you very much - that cleared up a lot.

time for a new tv then.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That looks like it is running at 50Hz though. The borders are just that size.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That looks like it is running at 50Hz though. The borders are just that size.
some older TV have a locked mask, so the whole screen is reserved for 576i signals.When you feed a 480i signal, only the inner 480 lines get filled up, leaving the upper and lower lines blank....
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

a pity that this problem is caused only in one axis. i wouldn't mind that much having also borders at the top and the bottom of the picture so the image would be still a lot bigger than in yoko mode + the aspect ratio would be correct.

i like thin girls but the opening screen in triggerheart exelica displayed this way makes me cry.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

if anyone finds this topic later this update might be useful.

apparently in most old tv's without microprocessors controlling the screen size and position. although depending on the model different options might be available.

i was lucky to find the most important potentiometer in my case caled "v-size". which allows me to adjust the vertical size of the screen.

so i zoomed in a bit and now the image is almost arcade-perfect.