Taito Type X-2 hardware differences and game compatibility

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kyuzo

Taito Type X-2 hardware differences and game compatibility

Post by kyuzo »

I've been looking around trying to find some info on Type X-2, but I can't seem to find anything really concrete...

Most specifically I'm curious about which games require what hardware, is there some kind of compatibility list somewhere? Is it possible to just upgrade all the parts yourself? Any games that require a specific (i.e. slower) CPU or one of the specific video cards?

Any help would be appreciated :)

PS I'm assuming Type X-2 doesn't actually run Type X or Type X+?
Dave_K.

Re: Taito Type X-2 hardware differences and game compatibility

Post by Dave_K. »

All games and required Type-X/2 hardware are listed on wikipedia here.
kyuzo wrote:PS I'm assuming Type X-2 doesn't actually run Type X or Type X+?
Each game's drive is encoded to use specific drivers of type x hardware, so no they are not backward compatible.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Dave_K. wrote:All games and required Type-X/2 hardware are listed on wikipedia here.
kyuzo wrote:PS I'm assuming Type X-2 doesn't actually run Type X or Type X+?
Each game's drive is encoded to use specific drivers of type x hardware, so no they are not backward compatible.
Thanks for the help :)

In terms of the X-2 hardware I actually meant which X2 cpu and which X2 vid card each game needs, every place I check just says "this is an X2 game"

Too bad about the Type X stuff, though I thought X+ was at least backwards compatible with all the X games? Maybe I'm just making that up...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

All the shooters and fighters for the system use the same graphics card and CPU for that base system. Only the satellite games and other games which require special input like HL2 or card reader/dispenser systems have graphics cards and CPUs which deviate from the base hardware platform.

The base system consists of:
Type X - Celeron 2.5Ghz processor, 256M RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 SE (AGP)
Type X2 - Pentium 4 3.4Ghz, 512M RAM, ELSA Gladiac 979 GS 256MB (PCIe)

Adding more memory or faster CPU is not going to make any difference when it comes to playing shooters or fighting games. Additionally, upgrading the graphics card to something the wiki says is compatible with the motherboard is not going to work (due to encoded drivers) unless you are playing one of those other special input games that requires that hardware.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Dave_K. wrote:All the shooters and fighters for the system use the same graphics card and CPU for that base system. Only the satellite games and other games which require special input like HL2 or card reader/dispenser systems have graphics cards and CPUs which deviate from the base hardware platform.

The base system consists of:
Type X - Celeron 2.5Ghz processor, 256M RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 SE (AGP)
Type X2 - Pentium 4 3.4Ghz, 512M RAM, ELSA Gladiac 979 GS 256MB (PCIe)

Adding more memory or faster CPU is not going to make any difference when it comes to playing shooters or fighting games. Additionally, upgrading the graphics card to something the wiki says is compatible with the motherboard is not going to work (due to encoded drivers) unless you are playing one of those other special input games that requires that hardware.
Cool, thanks :) Saw one on YAJ and was trying to convince myself to get it for senko no rondo DUO at some point :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Just be aware that Yahoo Japan sells a lot of X2 satellite units for cheap, and those have a different graphics card (I believe an ATI X1600 Pro) that you will need to upgrade to ELSA Gladiac 979 GS 256MB (PCIe) to bring back in line with the standard X2 platform. You can find these on Yahoo Japan as well pretty cheap, but not anywhere else...its needs to be the ELSA Gladiac brand specifically as generic nvidia cards do not work.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Thanks for the heads up... It does specifically say GF7900GS in the picture, and the guy says it booted up Battle Fantasia fine, so I think this is a normal one :)

Thanks again for all the help
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Haha and someone else has now placed a bid on it through celga, wonder if they saw this thread ;)
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Dave_K. wrote:Its needs to be the ELSA Gladiac brand specifically as generic nvidia cards do not work.
... I believe someone may have come up with a flash fix for this... [gets the card to pretend its the specific elsa card..] or am I totally wrong?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

gray117 wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Its needs to be the ELSA Gladiac brand specifically as generic nvidia cards do not work.
... I believe someone may have come up with a flash fix for this... [gets the card to pretend its the specific elsa card..] or am I totally wrong?
Even if it were true, would you really want to risk any potential incompatibilities/differences?