R-Types PS1 purchase..... YAY!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sjewkestheloon

R-Types PS1 purchase..... YAY!

Post by sjewkestheloon »

never played the early r-types in a decent form before, as my only real experience was with the slowdown ridden super r-type. managed to track this down yesterday in a direct trade for a duplicate copy of a platinum final fantasy 9. Bonus :)

first impressions are that it's hard as a bastard but pretty compulsive... think i'#m going to try and inv est time into the first one for a whie as progress seems a little more possible.

just thought i'd shout about it a bit
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

R-Type 1 is one of my all time favorites. Though I have a hard time getting 'into' it these days, I spent a great many quarters playing it in the arcade when it was new.

I have no idea how I got as good at it as I was back then; It kicks my ass now! ;)
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Congratulations *throws confetti*

I love the graphic design 8)

esp R-Type 1-Level 2 boss
My Trying Not To
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

R-Type 2's my fave out of the series; graphically, it's amazing, and the soundtrack's just as good. Axelay totally stole R-Type 2's second level idea, with the water and stuff.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I have the SMS and TG16 versions of R-Type 1 and they are excellent. R-Type 1 iz the shizz. I remember how it blew me away back in the day when it first came out. It was a religious experience!
Fight Like A Robot!
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

I used to love the R-Type ganes when I was younger.

After playing Dodonpachi and the newer Cave shooters, however, R-Type games just bore me to death.
Moogs

Post by Moogs »

LoneSage wrote:R-Type 2's my fave out of the series...
So you've played R-Type III? And R-Type Delta? And R-Type Leo?
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

I'm a newcomer to the R-Type series (I'm too young to have been playing it when it came out!) but the first R-Type just feels really timeless to me. Like it will always be fun, and in my opinion it has held up really well. The force pod is great!

The graphics and soundtrack are totally one of a kind and awesome. Too bad the game is just so damn hard, though.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Moogs wrote:So you've played R-Type III? And R-Type Delta? And R-Type Leo?
What's the matter Moogs, couldn't it be that he played all the games in the series and still herald R-Type II as his favorite? I don't understand your logic. :?
X - P - B
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Turrican wrote:
What's the matter Moogs, couldn't it be that he played all the games in the series and still herald R-Type II as his favorite? I don't understand your logic. :?
Yeah, gee Moogs stop pushing me around D:

The best R-Type I've played thus far, foo'.
Moogs

Post by Moogs »

Turrican wrote:
My logic is I know he hasn't played them all. But it's okay, he accurately re-worded his original statement in the post above.

It's my job to keep Sage in line; he's a poor, misguided soul.
EvilAkito

Post by EvilAkito »

I remember the day when I found a copy of R-Types and a copy of Raiden Project sitting right next to each other at the game store. That was a happy day for me.

Anyway, I love the original R-Type. It's the kind of game that seems impossible at first, but it forces you to keep trying no matter how pissed off you get. It gets relatively easy once you practice enough.
Kamakazie

Post by Kamakazie »

R-Types is a great collection, and two of the hardest SHMUPs out there imo!
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

IMHO, the original R-Type is stil the best.

It has just the right difficulty curve to it. Level 7 second half keeps kicking my ass, though.. that huge stream of ships is what usualy gets me.