New York Meet?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Balzac

New York Meet?

Post by Balzac »

Those fancy mid-westerners with their own thread and thier mushihime... (*grumbles incoherently*)

So who's up for an East Coast meet?.
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Ohhhh I tried this before, but we weren't really organized to make it happen. I suppose you will organize us if you're proposing this, offering a place would be ideal since that was a problem last year. I'd offer my place if it was actually my place. My cousins rent it to me so they feel the need to know every freakin' darn person who comes or they don't come. Finally, let's wait for a warmer season, please. Organize now. Do later.

I'm located in Brooklyn, btw. What about you?
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

I'm on the outskirts of Queens, around Littleneck. I figured maybe we could rent out a small venue for a few hours if nobody is willing to lend thier place.
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

^ I happen to live on a 20-a-week allowance, so I guess you guys would have to dish out the cash. Otherwise, good idea. If you decide to go that way, make it somewhere accessible. I don't know where exactly you're located, but the train map tells me there is a huge chunk of Queens without train access.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Hey, I may be in that area a few months from now. Don't know if that's too late, but if I'm around it would be nice to hook up.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

A few months from now sounds about right. End of May would probably be best in order to accomodate college students (ARGH finals!)

As for a meeting place, lets wait and see if any offers come up, otherwise, I'll see how my dad feels about having "internet strangers" using his basement for a couple of hours.
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

I suggest we get together informally to get to know each other before going ahead with it. It would help set up some credibility and goodwill. I understand no one would feel safe with "internet strangers" in their houses, which is a main reason I can't have people at my house. I wouldn't feel too safe without knowing where I'm going either. Another thing is that we need more people. The more the merrier.

After finals sounds like a great idea, so we better keep this thread alive to catch some interest from people. There were more last time. I wonder where they are.
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

hey all, i offered my place last year when this is supposed to go down, but since then i've kinda fallen off of playing games...i.e. i've sold most of the shit i own, so my place wouldn't be so good anymore.

i also suck now that i've been out of practice :oops:

but what we should do it meet at chinatown fair or something like that...we'll get to know each other, and then we can decide from there if we want to go forward with a full-on shmupmeet...

:D
say, by the way...

and in the meantime, it's gone away....
UnscathedFlyingObject

Chinatown Fair (that arcade in Chinatown if memory serves right) sounds like a good place to do an informal meet. Let's decide on a day. What about next weekend (Saturday preferably)? Even next Friday if anyone is up to it since I don't have Friday classes. I'll try to be frugal this week if that's the case to be able to play a few rounds of whatever over there. Anyone know if they have new shmups or at least fixed the ones that were broken?

BTW, I'll assure you I'll be instantly recognizable since I'll be wearing my Gradius V shirt!!!!! Homemade too so it's one of a kind.

@beatifik: do you still have your systems?
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

i've got:

NES
Genesis
Saturn (w/4-in-1 cart)
Dreamcast (modded)
Gamecube
PS2
PSP
GBA

so, i've got a few. no modded ps1 or ps2, though. i've only got one controller for DC and Saturn.

also, my apt. is shit. but, we can figure it out.

next weekend might be alright for me to meet at chinatown fair. last time i was there i forget what games i even played. maybe gigawing, raiden fighters, mars matrix and a couple others.

aight :D
say, by the way...

UnscathedFlyingObject

@all Shmupmeeters: What about we meet Saturday next week in Chinatown fair? Time frame 12:00-1:00pm. Not too early, not too late. I say 12:00pm.
If that's good with you all, it's set in stone.
Tomtom wrote:Hey, I may be in that area a few months from now. Don't know if that's too late, but if I'm around it would be nice to hook up.
Could you be more specific? Balzac got it spot on when he said we should do it during late May after finals and that is exactly a few months away. It would be hard to even propose dates if we don't know when you'll be around. It'd be cool to see some live Dodonpachi 1CC action.

Even if you can't make it, we could probably hang around. I'm sure I'll be pretty free during the summer. Keep us informed.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Chinatown fair sounds great, never been there before but I've heard its pretty much the last great arcade in NYC (Broadway City closed 2 years ago and Lazerpark has gone to shit). What shmups do they have though?
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Then, I guess Saturday the 19th at 12:00PM in Chinatown Fair is set unless anyone comes in and says otherwise. There are three of us going there already (me, balzac, and beatifik). Post away, whoever intents to go, please.

@Balzac: I don't know what Shmups they have over there. It's a long time since the last time I went.
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

i'll try to make it guys.

balzac check my post for the games that they had when i last went. probably about a month ago...
say, by the way...

Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Yeah, I don't have any solid plans yet, actually. I'm hopefully coming over to visit a friend of mine after he gets done with finals (he's at Columbia), so it'd probably be later on. In fact, it may be kinda awkward, as he's not into gaming at all, but I guess we'll see what happens. As for the live DDP clear, I need to work on that :). I bomb the living hell out of the last stage, especially the boss.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

The last time I went (mid-2002 around), CTF had Dimahoo..

Hope its still there. :?:
UnscathedFlyingObject

Ok, before I go to Chinatown Fair and nobody shows up. Are you still going?
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Yeah, I'm going. Not quite sure where its located or how to get there by train though.
Good luck or cry.
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

ctf is on mott street off of canal.

take any train to canal st. and then walk east on canal until you get to mott st. turn right on mott st. and it's kinda at the end of the street. i think it should be on the left-hand side of the street. it's tiny and dirty. you'll see it.

i may or may not make it. i'll try to. my friends are in town this weekend and tonight i'm gonna do some pretty heavy drinking/partying, so tomorrow i might be a little out of it.

you guys going at 1pm right?
say, by the way...

beatifik

Post by beatifik »

nevermind, i guess it's at noon.

i'll see what i can do to get there. i need to go downtown anyway so i'll probably be there.

i also need to go to the post office in the morning to send games to some of our fellow shmuppers here, and god only knows how long that's gonna take...

we'll see.
say, by the way...

UnscathedFlyingObject

Let's be there 12:00PM sharp. Also, wear something that identifies you. For example, I'll be wearing my cheap-o homemade Gradius V shirt :).
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

most likely i'll be wearing a brown leather jacket and a brown scarf since it's supposed to be frigidly cold outside tomorrow.
say, by the way...

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

I'll be the token guy in a black trenchcoat then :P
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Ok, excuse me if I say f*ck once or twice. Did anyone show up in Chinatown Fair today? I got there 10 minutes to twelve and waited outside for freakin' forty minutes to meet easily. When I got tired of freezing my a** off, I went inside, played a few games, and continued waiting until 1:20pm. Still, no one went in with the attire you said you were going to wear, so I thought, "f*ck it, anybody who is more than one hour late deserves to freeze his ass waiting like I did" and left. I'll give you the advantage of the doubt by saying that maybe we didn't recognize each other. Please come and explain yourselves.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

i said i would try to make it and that's what i did. however, i didn't make it.

by the time i got done at the post office in chelsea it was 12:30, and then i had to get my ass downtown. so i headed to chinatown and got there around 1:15. it's way too fucking busy down there on the weekend and i needed some food cuz i was starving so i got some.

figured you guys had left by that time and went shopping instead.

let's plan something in the future for a later time. i just can't get going on the weekends before noon. too much booze always.

sorry man, i thought that the two of you had definitely confirmed, so i figured you guys were fine just meeting up.
say, by the way...

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

beatifik wrote:let's plan something in the future for a later time. i just can't get going on the weekends before noon.
Ditto, by the time I was done running errands (supermarket, post office etc) it was 11. From where I am, it takes me TWO HOURS to get to Canal Street. If you had left a cell phone number I would have called and canceled, but as things were, there was no way I could make it down there before 1-1:30 PM.

As things are, I'm sorry I couldn't make it and left you waiting. In the future though we NEED to exhange cell phone numbers and meet up at a 2PM the earliest.
Good luck or cry.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Ah well, time wasted is time wasted, and I won't hold any grudges against either of you.

@ beatifik: You could have proposed to have the meeting for a later time.

@ Balzac: I don't have a cellphone.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Thanks, once again, I'm sorry I couldn't make it today and I feel kinda shitty about making you wait.
Good luck or cry.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Hey, I guess this isn't going on anymore, but it turns out my friend's going to be in Japan for a couple of months, so I'm not going to be able to make it over :(
UnscathedFlyingObject

:( Crap. I'd have hanged out with you if you came. Maybe go to Chinatown, visit the arcade, and roam about the city.