Cooling question..

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jackprw1

Cooling question..

Post by jackprw1 »

Well some of you might know that I won a ps3 in a contest.. anyway it died after about 3 hours of non continuous play total.. Uh i'm thinking it was a heating issue.. I was curious to know (for those of you that have one) when you fire it on can you hear the fans blowing? are they loud enough to be noticeably audible?.. With mine it was almost silent.. Everytime I turn it on I can hear them pretty easily but after about eh.. a second or so they slowed down.. not sure if it's because of a temperature sensor telling them to ease up of a malfunction.. anyway i'll send it back next week.. sony already sent me the pre-paid shipping stuff and instructions.. just curious.

by the way it will freeze up at the start menu.. and sometimes not fire up at all if it's not a completely cold start.
crithit5000

Re: Cooling question..

Post by crithit5000 »

Usually mine's rather quiet until a couple hours of playing and then the fans usually kick in (I usually shut it down for a bit when this happens), I've only had it freeze on me once.
now tighter than your sister
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I got my USA region 1st generation PS3 with 60GB HDD setup back in December of 2006 with the noisier fan setup. It does put out quite a bit of heat if left on for more a a couple of hours. Ocassionally, It'll freeze up every once in a great while while using the PS3's internet browser...a simple "soft reset" will solve the problem and it'll perform good as new. I have yet to see the so-called "Yellow Light of Death" syndrome appear though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kernow

Post by kernow »

3hrs from new is ridiculous. If it was one of the later firmwares you might have been able to get to the rescue menu to maybe check the hard disk isn't dead or whatever, or the system OS is corrupted.

I've had the YLOD, not fun times.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Fan noise is different depending on the model.

The fans are rather loud on my 60gb model. When I watch movies late at night with the volume turned down, it's really noticeable.

A friend of mine has the newer slim model, which seems much quieter. I never hear the fans on that one.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.