Darius Burst announced for PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Hydeux

Re: Darius Burst announced for PSP

Post by Hydeux »

Voxbox wrote:All orbs flies around in circles. White orbs give different ammount of points depending on when you pick them up. If you pick them at 10-/2-/6- o'clock you get 50k.
If I'm correct that is.
THIS is clear !
(and thanx for the info : I hadn't noticed ! I mean, yeah I had noticed of course one got sometimes 100 sometimes 51200 points for the same orb, but I hadn't noticed the Y system)
guigui

Post by guigui »

I discovered a 1up on zone C once, but I cant reproduce it, any hint ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

I see some saying Burst Mode is tough...

For me, i 1ccd burst on my first try with (what I think) was a semi decent score. However, I am yet to 1cc arcade

Btw: Probably a dumb question but what are the clear orbs with some sort of symbol in the middle...I'm too busy watching all the shit on screen to notice what they actually do.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Those clear orbs with a vessel inside are 1-ups. (are we talking of the same thing ?)

I 1cced both of them and I'm sure by now Burst Mode is MUCH easier than Arcade Mode, and much more fun IMO.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

1LC (4xL), J-Zone route, Next Type, first three boss counters completed.
30mil after killing Lightning Flamberge, and this would have been more had I countered Mirage Castle properly.

Replay: PSP Replay file
(Place folder and contents on your memory stick, under PSP/SAVEGAME, and run from within the game itself, third slot. Back up our own first!)

Some notes:
  • The multiplier seems to based on some kind of invisible Dodonpachi-ish chain bar, and every time you "fill" this bar, your multiplier increments. Therefore, the early parts of the stages are spent leaving as much on screen as you can, before wiping them out with a quick Shot burst or sweep of the Burst Laser.
  • Laser countering isn't based on timing, it seems, but rather positioning - I've countered successfully by being at scratching distance from the boss's Burst Laser before activating my own and "cutting into" the path of the enemy Laser, and always regardless of when the enemy Laser was fired. If you get the replay, you'll see me do this against Lightning Flamberge.
  • Scoring in this game is obviously based on getting a big multiplier and keeping it, but the biggest point gains are from countering the bosses with a big multiplier in tow.
  • I'd imagine that milking Great Thing would be worth a load of points too, just like in Gaiden and G before this. Especially since those small sharks GT spits out fire Burst Lasers of their own, and those drill issiles always seem to be worth a fair bit.
  • In terms of difficulty, this game is almost on par with Gaiden with autofire enabled. I think Gaiden's end bosses are more challenging, however, and far more vicious.
Scoring maximums are probably within the 65-70mil range. Happy hunting.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Especially since those small sharks GT spits out fire Burst Lasers of their own, and those drill issiles always seem to be worth a fair bit.
Sharks? They looked like dolphins to me =/
FER

Post by FER »

Goshi wrote:
Especially since those small sharks GT spits out fire Burst Lasers of their own, and those drill issiles always seem to be worth a fair bit.

Its a killer whale, its been like that since the very first Darius.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

FER wrote:
Goshi wrote:

Killer Whales are dolphins >_>;
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Laser countering isn't based on timing, it seems, but rather positioning - I've countered successfully by being at scratching distance from the boss's Burst Laser before activating my own and "cutting into" the path of the enemy Laser, and always regardless of when the enemy Laser was fired. If you get the replay, you'll see me do this against Lightning Flamberge.
:shock:
It works indeed ! (quite hard to achieve)
And gives a MAJOR score boost !
Thanx Icarus for your advice and your replay !
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A few more notes based on another evening's worth of testing.
Icarus wrote:Laser countering isn't based on timing, it seems, but rather positioning - I've countered successfully by being at scratching distance from the boss's Burst Laser before activating my own and "cutting into" the path of the enemy Laser, and always regardless of when the enemy Laser was fired. If you get the replay, you'll see me do this against Lightning Flamberge.
Yep, I was right in that the Burst Laser countering system is tied to proximity and not timing, as I was practicing my countering against Lightning Flamberge in Mission Mode (Stage 1-3 to be precise) and in one run, I missed my first Laser counter try, ducked out of the way of the enemy Laser, and got it on the second try.

There is no real easy way to counter - the only way to get it right is to learn how each boss fires its Break Laser, and be in the right place for it. Remember, some bosses sweet their Laser around.

I did originally think that the Shield glowing gold when hit had something to do with it, and in some cases, that does work, if you purposely let the boss take a hit off you so you can get into Laser counter range (eg. Lightning-F, Dark Helios). This technique isn't useful if you have no Shield, obviously.
Icarus wrote:I'd imagine that milking Great Thing would be worth a load of points too, just like in Gaiden and G before this. Especially since those small sharks GT spits out fire Burst Lasers of their own, and those drill issiles always seem to be worth a fair bit.
If I'm right in thinking, a countered Burst Laser has an extra multiplier added to it - think G-Darius here, as well as the big score boost you get for killing a boss with a counter - and if you combine that with all the stuff that's worth a lot of points on this boss, such as the small drones, drill missiles and turrets, it'll add up to a big score boost if done correctly.

And you don't even need to stock Capture Balls to do it, since a successful counter completely refills your Burst Laser bar.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

My theory on the Beam Counter is that neither timing or placement is a factor. The only factor I seem to consistently run into is remaining boss health. The weaker health, the more towards the boss the contact of the beams will be, and if their health isn't weak at all, then you can't counter beam them at all.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Voxbox wrote:My theory on the Beam Counter is that neither timing or placement is a factor. The only factor I seem to consistently run into is remaining boss health. The weaker health, the more towards the boss the contact of the beams will be, and if their health isn't weak at all, then you can't counter beam them at all.
You're probably right, as I did a "milking test" of Iron Fossil in Mission Mode, trying to leave enough health to safely counter beam so I can destroy fins and missiles, and I haven't been able to counter as often, while I can counter easily if I go for the kill. A little more testing is needed.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Yeah I've been milking Iron Fossil too, and it really throws off my counter "timing" (especially since missions have their own difficulty and weapon levels).
As far as milking goes, I get ~260,000 by milking, and if I finish it off with a counter beam, that number goes up to ~580,000. Then add your x16 multiplier to that (I don't think there's any special beam multiplier), and you get 9mil of the boss alone, and at least another 2,5mil from the stage.
So I'm guessing 12mil is absolute maximum for Zone A.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

**UPDATED**

Boss Scoring Breakdown
As far as I know, all these numbers are affected by the multiplier.

-Iron Fossil-
Destruction: 100,000
Fins: 90,000 (3x30,000) *one fin you can only hit when the boss is turned sideways
Scales: 96,000 (32?x3,000) *counting by hand, there seem to be 16 scales on each side. I'm guessing they're all destroyable
Missiles: 8x1,500 (infinte)
Beam Counter: x4
Total = 286,000 + missiles (x4 x16 = 18million)

-Mud Wheel-
Scales: 180,000 (6x30,000)
Total: 280,000

-Lightning Flamberge-
Tusks: 60,000 (2x30,000)
Back Fin: 30,000
Side Fins: 60,000 (2x30,000) *you have to wait for them to come out
Total: 250,000

Using the Beam Counter to dismantle the bosses is definitly the way to go.

This is what've kept me up to almost 6 in the morning. I think I'm saving Mirage Castle for tomorrow :roll:
Last edited by Voxbox on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

Voxbox wrote:Boss Scoring Breakdown
So far the Beam Counter more than doubles the score of a perfect dismantling. Also, any smaller crafts the bosses spawn give no points whatsoever to my knowledge.
This is what've kept me up to almost 6 in the morning. I think I'm saving Mirage Castle for tomorrow :roll:
Seriously thanks for the information. Until it comes to NA or I get a job and import order it, I'm only going to be reading about this game. :(
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

devilmanozzy wrote:Seriously thanks for the information.
No problem!
Voxbox wrote:Also, any smaller crafts the bosses spawn give no points whatsoever to my knowledge.
Scratch that. The missiles Iron Fossil fires after a while gives 1,500 each. And the fish-shaped crafts that Hungry Gluttons spawn gives 3,000 each, and there's no end to them as far as I know. They can add to your multiplier too, making for one kinda easy, truly milkable boss.

I would need alot of good screenshots to map out all the parts for Mirage Castle. Wish I had some sort of screenshot plugin.

Edit: Also, I believe cutting into a Beam late will cause you to take at least one hit, thus lowering your multiplier. Overall, milking infinites doesn't seem to be worth risking taking a hit over, as one hit can lower your score by 0,5 million.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Voxbox wrote:All orbs flies around in circles. White orbs give different ammount of points depending on when you pick them up. If you pick them at 10-/2-/6- o'clock you get 50k.
If I'm correct that is.
I'm not correct on this one. I have no clue how to consistently get 51k from them.

I've been working on the rest of the bosses, so here it is:

Boss Scoring Breakdown (part2)
**UPDATED**

-Mirage Castle-
Beam Counter: x4?
Parts: 840,000? (30,000x28?) *I think it sheds after losing 4-5 of the innermost parts.
Total: 940,000

-Hungry Gluttons-
Fish: 3,000 (infinite)
Total: 100,000 + Fish

-Thousand Knives-
Knives: 3,000 (x32?)
Total: 196,000

-Dark Helios-
Segments: 30,000x7
Transformation: 100,000
Shooting Orbs: 2,000 (infinite?)
Beam Counter: x4?
Total: 410,000 +Orbs

-Great Thing-
Dolphins: 3x10,000 (infinite?)
Horns: 30,000 (infinite?)
Destruction: ?
Total: ?
Last edited by Voxbox on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If Taito were to release a true sequel to G-Darius, it would befitting if they were to release it on arcade hardware first. A widescreen HD version would definitely work wonders indeed. It is sad to say that the Taito FX-1B powered G-Darius PCB remains the very last chapter as far as the Darius series goes on the arcade PCB platform...could it have Taito Corp's decision to let it be the final swan song?

I'm suprised that Taito still hasn't release an Darius arcade sequel on it's Type X, Type X+, or even Type X2 platforms.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Why are there no high score thread yet?
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Dragoforce wrote:Why are there no high score thread yet?
Nevermind
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
bcass

Post by bcass »

I've been playing this today, and it's excellent. Love the music and the general atmosphere. It clearly demonstrates that the PSP could easily handle a Gradius V port. I hope they take the plunge and go for a full console release (preferably on the 360). Could be amazing. Shame there's no online functionality though.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

For those who wanted the shirt but couldn't shell out for the LE:

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/tshirt/1231017_1899.html
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

I preordered this game, and my copy still hasn't shown up yet!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I just want that "Darius Odyssey" CD...Dammit! :evil:
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Goshi wrote:
FER wrote:
Goshi wrote:Sharks? They looked like dolphins to me =/
Killer Whales are dolphins >_>;
I learned some marine biology in this Darius thread!
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
boagman

Post by boagman »

adversity1 wrote:For those who wanted the shirt but couldn't shell out for the LE:

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/tshirt/1231017_1899.html
Yeah, but it's *still* $49 for a *t-shirt* and that doesn't even include shipping!

Sorry, but for that money, there's just no way.
FER

Post by FER »

Any idea (more like scans) about the "Darius Odyssey Book"?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Anybody recognize Dark Helios?

One of the stages in Mission Mode where you fight him actually has music from Syvalion. :D
guigui

Post by guigui »

Am I the only one to have not noticed until yesterday that you can actually DROP the burst unit in some place and DIRECT its shot, WHILE keeping shooting and moving ?

For those in my case :
Double tap the burst button will drop the burst unit where you are, it will begin to fire. While the burst unit is dropped you may :
-Let go of the fire button, the orientation of the burst unit follows your ship.
-Maintain the fire button, the orientation of the burst unit remains fixed.
-Press the burst button, the burst unit returns to your ship.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

guigui wrote:Am I the only one to have not noticed until yesterday that you can actually DROP the burst unit in some place and DIRECT its shot, WHILE keeping shooting and moving ?

For those in my case :
Double tap the burst button will drop the burst unit where you are, it will begin to fire. While the burst unit is dropped you may :
-Let go of the fire button, the orientation of the burst unit follows your ship.
-Maintain the fire button, the orientation of the burst unit remains fixed.
-Press the burst button, the burst unit returns to your ship.
Lol, so that's how it's done! I saw this in the videos and was wondering how the hell you control this... Came to the conclusion that I still needed to unlock a special game mode - thank you to prove me wrong :)