Good PS2 NTSC-J Shmups? (EDIT:And places to buy them...?)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ForteMP3

Good PS2 NTSC-J Shmups? (EDIT:And places to buy them...?)

Post by ForteMP3 »

Like the topic says. I ask this because I am soon going to have a means to play NTSC-J games on my PS2, courtesy of HDLoader and my PC. However, I am far from a total cheapskate and bastard. I intend to buy the games, install them to an HD via my PC, and then stick that into my PS2. So, with this in mind, I ask...

I'm going to hit PlayAsia.com soon, what are some good NTSC-J shooters? So far, the following are on my list:

DoDonPachi Daioujou
ESPgaluda
Mushihimesama (When it's out)
Raiden III (When it's out)

Can anyone recommend other PS2 shooters? I'm mainly looking for new stuff that wouldn't be emulated, so things like the PS2 port of Xexex aren't on my list.
Last edited by ForteMP3 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Shienryu is a fun little game, though i have yet to actually play it on the Double Pack.

also, Shikigami 2 is really great (to me at least) if you want to got that route because it is, of course, available in the states.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

captain ahar wrote:Shienryu is a fun little game, though i have yet to actually play it on the Double Pack.

also, Shikigami 2 is really great (to me at least) if you want to got that route because it is, of course, available in the states.
Shienryu is available in the US for PS1 as Gekioh Shooting King. The second game isn't with it, but it is available for cheap.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

yeah, but with the lack of tate (which matters to me) i didn't mention. also, he was just asking about import ps2 shooters, unless i am mistaken.
I have no sig whatsoever.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Thanks for the list thus far, appreciate it!
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Giga Wing Generations, Dragon Blaze, and Psyvariar 2 come to mind as ones not already mentioned. There are also the many awesome PS1 Japanese titles which you can play on your PS2.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Another question, if nobody minds...

Aside from playasia.com, what are other good places to check out for import gaming? I only know about ncsx and playasia, and I'd like to have the option to shop around, ESPECIALLY since some of the stuff PlayAsia has seems a bit too pricey (They wanted EIGHTY DOLLARS for Daioujou! I think that's a bit much).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

www.yesasia.com also has imports and they have really good prices for some things. I only ordered from there once, but my experience was a good one. I heard good things about them too. Ebay is an option, but it should be a last resort for brand new games.
GT40PWR

Re: Good PS2 NTSC-J Shmups? (EDIT:And places to buy them...?

Post by GT40PWR »

ForteMP3 wrote:Like the topic says. I ask this because I am soon going to have a means to play NTSC-J games on my PS2, courtesy of HDLoader and my PC. However, I am far from a total cheapskate and bastard. I intend to buy the games, install them to an HD via my PC, and then stick that into my PS2. So, with this in mind, I ask...

I'm going to hit PlayAsia.com soon, what are some good NTSC-J shooters? So far, the following are on my list:

DoDonPachi Daioujou
ESPgaluda
Mushihimesama (When it's out)
Raiden III (When it's out)

Can anyone recommend other PS2 shooters? I'm mainly looking for new stuff that wouldn't be emulated, so things like the PS2 port of Xexex aren't on my list.
For the import PS2....

XII Stag is an awesome Taito shooter. Graphics are great and gameplay is pretty smooth.

I have seen this on the Ebay for as little as $29.99

There is also Sengoku Ace -Sengoku Blade. It is a double pack Import PS2 shooter. Great game as well. I have Sengoku Blade for the Saturn and it rocks.

You can find this on Ebay also, I have seen it for as little as $34.99
Always remember...

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!