ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS) - New DEMO out now!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Ebbo

ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS) - New DEMO out now!

Post by Ebbo »

Hi!

Since this is my first post here at the shmups forum, maybe I should introduce myself first. I'm Ebbo, a crazy shoot'em up fan from Finland and I'm here to showcase a small Game Maker project which I've been working on with my friend, eebrozgi. It's been while since we started this project but finally we have finished a demo of our game, know as...

ZeroRanger

Basically, it's a very traditional, vertically scrolling shoot'em up. You shoot, you dodge and you'll eventually die too while attempting for a new high score. Since ZeroRanger is our love letter to the shmup genre, it also has plenty of cameos from different shmup classics. We really wanted to show how near and dear this genre is to us and I hope it shows. You'll find a link to our Steam page below as well download links to the earlier demo versions of the game:

ZeroRanger on Steam (Release: 2018/8/24)
Demo Version 2018/4/29

The freeware demo consists of three stages and includes bunch of unlockable secrets and extra features. We hope you'll have good time and enjoy playing ZeroRanger. And remember: Any kind of feedback/criticism is appreciated.

When we started this project, it wasn't nearly as ambitious as it has become. All of the music was borrowed, for an example but soon eebrozgi said that he could compose music for the game. And then we just kept adding more and more small details and options, replaced all sound effects and I even updated most of the graphics. I almost thought we would never release the demo... But when I look back, I can assure you it's been worth it.

Support us at se-made.com!
We also have a twitter now: https://twitter.com/System_erasure

Here are some screenshots and gameplay footage:

Image Image Image

2018/03/05 - FINALBOSS - Everything Will Come Together
2015/09/18 - FINAL BOSS - Raw Label
2014/08/05 - FINAL BOSS - Zero Ranger
2014/04/14 - FINAL BOSS - Weapons 101
2014/03/21 - FINAL BOSS - Scoring Basics
2014/03/09 - FINAL BOSS - Eve of Destruction
2012/01/09 - FINAL BOSS - 2nd Apocalypse
2011/05/19 - FINAL BOSS - More WIP footage (Stage 1)
2010/03/09 - FINAL BOSS - Work in progress
2009/11/27 - FINAL BOSS - Demo out now
2009/10/24 - FINAL BOSS - The debut trailer

OLD VERSIONS:

Demo version 2014/03/09
http://www.mediafire.com/download/flyqz ... 032014.rar

Demo version 2012/02/05
http://www.mediafire.com/?ujnvgg4s8vhxlj4

Demo version 11/12
http://www.mediafire.com/?yqyj4i2gwti
- Many fixed bugs, new rapid-fire button

Demo version 28/11
http://www.mediafire.com/?0i3oj4jknno
- Better compatibility, at least Vista problem solved.

Demo version 27/11
http://www.mediafire.com/?nzhjlyctvkd
- Compatibility problems
Last edited by Ebbo on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 29 times in total.
monkeyman

Re: FINAL BOSS - A love letter to the shmup genre

Post by monkeyman »

Looks like all kinds of awesome from the trailer, unfortunately the demo doesn't want to work on my computer (never had that issue with a GM game before) so I can't comment on how it plays. (sob)

Graphic style looks really nice, captured that 80s arcade feel perfectly, though I wonder while playing how easy it is to keep track of your ship since everything is the same colour.

Keep it up though, really looks like a title to watch out for.
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Unfortunately, you're not only one with a similar problem. We have been trying to locate the problem but so far we haven't found any definite solution or reason to this.

However, eebrozgi made a test file of the game. If you don't mind, try it and tell if there is any change.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kjyuwmad4ay
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

New download link!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0i3oj4jknno

Better compatibility, at least Vista problem solved.
So hi, I'm the other person on this project. I don't have much else to say right now, enjoy in case it works.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
bkk

Post by bkk »

Ebbo wrote:Hi!
it also has plenty of cameos from different shmup classics.
You weren't kidding! Very impressive :D

A couple of pet peeves of mine:
Redefinable keys - Every PC game should have this, no excuse.
Rapid fire - It looks to me this is totally useless compared to single shot? I think this ought to be balanced better, otherwise you are basically forcing the player to get his own autofire circuit (or carpal tunnel).
Pressing fire 1 continues - a bit counterintuitive.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

- Runs in an impossibly microscopic resolution, even on a CRT. Even doujin games are 640x.
- Only one ship to choose from, no variety

That's the only things I could see wrong with it. I probably won't play it again unless there's some full screen option added in the future.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bkk

Post by bkk »

Elixir wrote:That's the only things I could see wrong with it. I probably won't play it again unless there's some full screen option added in the future.
Check out the readme :wink:
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

bkk wrote:Rapid fire - It looks to me this is totally useless compared to single shot? I think this ought to be balanced better, otherwise you are basically forcing the player to get his own autofire circuit (or carpal tunnel).
That's correct, single shot is much stronger than rapid fire. However, maybe you didn't notice but the more shots you land on the enemy, the more points you get. And this can affect to your score quite significantly: For an example, I used only single shot and I had around 2200 points after defeating the first miniboss of stage 1. However, using rapid fire, I had over 2800 points at that point - all thanks to rapid fire. The hit counter at top corner indicates how many shots you landed on one particular enemy before its destruction.
bkk wrote: Redefinable keys - Every PC game should have this, no excuse.
Pressing fire 1 continues - a bit counterintuitive.
These are things we hope to change in future so thanks for noticing. Actually eebrozgi said that pressing fire 1 to continue could be a bit bothersome, but I didn't think so, my bad :)

@Elixir: Full screen = F4
Also, I don't think having tons of different ships to choose from is the only way to have some variety - this is no Xeno Fighters after all :wink: After defeating each stage boss you can choose between two weapons. And you can always try player 2 ship for a change.
bkk

Post by bkk »

Ebbo wrote:
bkk wrote:Rapid fire - It looks to me this is totally useless compared to single shot? I think this ought to be balanced better, otherwise you are basically forcing the player to get his own autofire circuit (or carpal tunnel).
That's correct, single shot is much stronger than rapid fire. However, maybe you didn't notice but the more shots you land on the enemy, the more points you get. And this can affect to your score quite significantly: For an example, I used only single shot and I had around 2200 points after defeating the first miniboss of stage 1. However, using rapid fire, I had over 2800 points at that point - all thanks to rapid fire. The hit counter at top corner indicates how many shots you landed on one particular enemy before its destruction.
I didn't notice, that is certainly an interesting scoring mechanic. In this case, may I suggest a separate "rapid single shot" button? I really can't be bothered dragging out my joystick (which does have rapid fire) to play a PC game.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do with customisable controls, haven't done this before at all. I'll also think about adding rapid laser button.

Also, keep an eye on the "x Hits" that appears in the upper corner of the screen if you want a good score.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Ok glad to say the new demo version is working.

Having played the game I can say it plays really well, though while I like the graphic design I did find myself losing track of what was going on as all ships are the same colour as the background. Maybe making backgrounds a little darker may fix that - though it could just be me.

The other thing I'd mention is that you still get the continue countdown even when you're out of credits - why not just go straight to game over?

Other than that, it's all very fun and challenging, so I'm liiking forward to seeing how this develops.

Oh and I'll put in another vote for the autofire option!
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's cute but the lack of color really kills it. And an enemy flew right up from behind and killed me with no warning. Very naughty. Needs a warning sign or something.

And needs an easier way to go fullscreen than some random arbitrary key like F4. How about Ctrl+Enter? That's a pretty standard key combination for fullscreen. Should also ask if you want to go fullscreen before the game launches.

Nice homage to various shmups though.

Also, shmup genre does not need any love letters, it needs good games .. or it will get a restraining order on you :P
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

monkeyman wrote: The other thing I'd mention is that you still get the continue countdown even when you're out of credits - why not just go straight to game over?
Tap fire 2 to count down faster.
Udderdude wrote: And needs an easier way to go fullscreen than some random arbitrary key like F4. How about Ctrl+Enter? That's a pretty standard key combination for fullscreen. Should also ask if you want to go fullscreen before the game launches.
I've personally never heard about Ctrl+Enter. Or did you mean Alt+Enter?

Thank you for feedback again, keep it coming. I've balanced out the laser and vulcan and made a rapid laser button now. I'll also think about that fullscreen question.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Udderdude wrote:And an enemy flew right up from behind and killed me with no warning. Very naughty. Needs a warning sign or something.
Most of the enemies which appear from the behind can be seen flying at background, giving you indication of their formation. But yes, some enemies flew right up without any warning, but this isn't really that uncommon with various other shooters. All it requires is a bit memorization.
Udderdude wrote: And needs an easier way to go fullscreen than some random arbitrary key like F4. How about Ctrl+Enter? That's a pretty standard key combination for fullscreen. Should also ask if you want to go fullscreen before the game launches.
If pressing one single button is too much for you, okay then, we'll think about that fullscreen question option.
Udderdude wrote: Nice homage to various shmups though.
Also, shmup genre does not need any love letters, it needs good games .. or it will get a restraining order on you :P
Of course we are trying to make a good game first. It isn't like we are filling it up with countless cameos which end up just hurting the actual gameplay. But thanks for the feedback, we will keep that in mind.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Ebbo wrote:
Udderdude wrote:And an enemy flew right up from behind and killed me with no warning. Very naughty. Needs a warning sign or something.
Most of the enemies which appear from the behind can be seen flying at background, giving you indication of their formation. But yes, some enemies flew right up without any warning, but this isn't really that uncommon with various other shooters. All it requires is a bit memorization.
If pressing one single button is too much for you, okay then, we'll think about that fullscreen question option.
Udderdude wrote: Nice homage to various shmups though.
Of course we are trying to make a good game first. It isn't like we are filling it up with countless cameos which end up just hurting the actual gameplay. But thanks for the feedback, we will keep that in mind.
1. Top-notch shmups always include warning signs if enemies are supposed to appear from behind or if giant ass insta-fast laser beams appear then that too. So if you don't include it, you're an amateur.

2. Don't consider, just do it! Oh and showing on title screen which is the FULLSCREEN key or key combination would be nice. It's not about the combinations but it's about showing the player/user which is the Fullscreen key so he doesn't have to press all keys to find it. You're also amateur for not providing something as simple as this.

3. Agree with Udderdude, shmup genre does not need cameos/tributes but good games! Oh and I don't really trust you in the feedback part, just because you think your game is great doesn't mean our experts who played this genre for years do. That's also amateurish to think your work is great because you made it while it's real quality, is pretty low.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

The third comment confuses me deeply. We have not said that we think the game is great and we have not said that you don't know what is great.
I accept feedback. By considering of adding the fullscreen question, I thought if I should add it to the title screen or the setup menu.
I also deeply apologise for being an amateur.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Kaiser wrote:1. Top-notch shmups always include warning signs if enemies are supposed to appear from behind or if giant ass insta-fast laser beams appear then that too. So if you don't include it, you're an amateur.

2. Don't consider, just do it! Oh and showing on title screen which is the FULLSCREEN key or key combination would be nice. It's not about the combinations but it's about showing the player/user which is the Fullscreen key so he doesn't have to press all keys to find it. You're also amateur for not providing something as simple as this.

3. Agree with Udderdude, shmup genre does not need cameos/tributes but good games! Oh and I don't really trust you in the feedback part, just because you think your game is great doesn't mean our experts who played this genre for years do. That's also amateurish to think your work is great because you made it while it's real quality, is pretty low.
Oh, lord. :lol:
KMM

Post by KMM »

I like this game so far, especially the boss rush mode.

Though I don't usually have problems with the back attacks (or with enemy visibility), warning signs or some way to inform the player that enemies are coming from behind aside from them flying in the background would probably be a good thing. So would an auto-fire button for the tap shot, since it seems like far too much of a pain to use as it is now.

I've noticed a bug in the boss rush mode and an odd quirk of said mode.
Bug: I don't know what causes the bug, but sometimes I'll have two ships spawn when I start my credit instead of just the one. Both fire. Both have working hitboxes. Either will respawn if it is destroyed, and if one is destroyed when I have no ships left, that's the end of the credit. I haven't tried this on stage two, but it happens maybe a third of the time on stage one.
Quirk that should probably be changed: Not being required to use a credit in boss rush mode means it's possible to just sit there and watch each boss time out. This increases the play time counter even if you don't use a credit, so that may need to be changed.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

donotcare95: Excuse me, but what do you mean by "boss rush mode"?
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Don't pay too much mind to Kaiser said, he's a nice guy and his intentions are noble . But the concept of "tact" is completely foreign to him.

Also,
Ebbo wrote:But yes, some enemies flew right up without any warning, but this isn't really that uncommon with various other badly designed shooters. All it requires is a bit of useless memorization.
Fixed.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Here is the new version:
Demo version 12/2009

Most of the changes in this versions are minor bug fixes and some small details have been added (such as the notice about full screen mode on the title screen). The single shot has now a rapid fire button (Ctrl with Player 1 and Q with Player 2), however only three shots can be on the screen at the same time. We'll probably change the way the single shot acts in the future, so please tell what you think about it.
Also, we tried to make some of the back attacks more visible, but we'll add skull icons and arrows in the future versions to give player more time to react to these attacks. Unfortunately, we have no clue when the next version is coming but atleast it will have more significant changes. Feedpack is as appreciated as always.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I don't get the big objection to having enemies come from behind. As long as the game establishes early on that they can, you should be able to anticipate it happening later.

F4 is the Game Maker default for fullscreen, by the way, so I think that's easily forgivable. I can also understand not knowing that if you haven't played a lot of GM-made games, though.

This is a killer little shmup so far IMO. I love the graphic style and effects. :)
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

oshiiiiiiiiiii--

The 12/2009 version has a very nasty scoring bug.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yqyj4i2gwti
Fixed, sorry for the trouble. *_*
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

Pretty nice game.
I know you're going for a limited palette, but it would really benefit from 1 or 2 more colours to separate the background from the foreground moving objects.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

alastair jack wrote:I know you're going for a limited palette, but it would really benefit from 1 or 2 more colours to separate the background from the foreground moving objects.
You're certainly not alone with this issue, so I've decided to change background colors to a bit more darker tones of green. In the end, I don't believe it hurts the limited palette look too much and I'm ready to try anything that may (and possibly will) benefit the gameplay.

Also, Pixel Prospector made a cool vid of FB that shows the whole first level and a little bit of the 2nd. Much better quality than my own videos, so it's certainly worth to check out.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Hey, I'm Xaerock from youtube.

Tried the newest demo, I think its performing worse on my crap laptop (using xp btw) compared to the beta I tried in the summer. Lags a lot especially if windowed. The slowdown doesnt seem to make much sense though: the start of level 2 lags a lot, but the second half(with more enemies) doesn't. The game does lag a bit when the second boss starts spewing out loads of bullets.

Liking the new Vic Viper and R-9 bosses a lot and the main level 2 boss as before. I like the overall graphics style and music.

About enemies appearing from behind, I think a warning system like in Blazing Star would work well, plus it can look cool.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Thanks for pointing that out. The fact that the level 2 second half is faster is a result of little optimising, but I'm sure I can do it much better.

edit: Fixed.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Great game, reminds me of Guxt a lot. I'll be playing this some more to get a proper feel for it, but my initial impressions are:

Rapid fire doesn't do enough damage.
Enemies and collidable objects should have more distinction from the background.

I downloaded the game from the link on YouTube so maybe you've fixed these in the latest version.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Great stuff!
Good visibility despite having such a small palette; don't listen to people complaining about this, they're the same twats bitching about Garegga's bullets being impossible to spot ( :P )
(I admit tho that making the bg a wee bit darker will make it a bit easier on the eyes...)

Just a small thing: has been mentioned before - Rapid fire doesn't do enough damage. Don't increase difficulty/scoring-handicap by giving us not powerful enough pea-shooter, it's not very well received.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

I admit I failed to balance the single shot and vulcan properly. The single shot has now been completely remade.

The backgrounds are darker now. (sorry ZOM)

I like Garegga.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!