Finding the emulation deficiencies - Vol. 1: CAVE games.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I don't know what your obsession with cave is, but get over it. Soon.
Did you read the title of the thread even? "Vol. 1 CAVE games." Notice I put CAVE in bold, and also in caps, b/c it is in the thread title, so people can see the word CAVE.

7 posts... first person to have, as you will soon see, opened up Pandora's box in under 10. Congrats.

L8r
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Fair enough.
Recap

Post by Recap »

Newbie-Elixir: I can see your true intention with the post and your way to be quickly accepted by this community. Even so, I'll give you some advice for your own good: Delete your first post here before it gets quoted a bit more. EVERY reply you did there shows how amazingly ignorant you are. Believe me, nobody here will even try to let you know why are you so wrong and why your post is so pointless and laughable because you did it in that "let's-be-the-smart-one-here" tone.

Anyways, it served to remind me that Progear needed the "emu deficiencies" line and it's now fixed. So... uh... thanks, I suppose.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I didn't attempt to take any tone. I just told it like it is. Calling me 'Newbie-Elixir' doesn't help the situation(and you know this, sadly) either. I'm not ignorant at all, but you can interpret into your own understanding as much as you like.

If nobody cares about what I have to say, they need not reply.
Recap

Post by Recap »

Elixir wrote:I didn't attempt to take any tone.
Elixir wrote:Ah, good, this forum has exactly what I was needing: :roll:
Elixir wrote:I don't know what your obsession with cave is, but get over it. Soon.

Elixir wrote:I'm not ignorant at all
Elixir wrote:Funny, that. The arcade version of Dodonpachi and the PSX version are, in my eyes, basically the same.
Elixir wrote:I'd like to point out the fact that MAME emulates hundreds of thousands of games.
Elixir wrote:I'm not sure if the company itself wants to sit there and focus on one particular genre, when they could be advancing foward and adding more games.
Elixir wrote:Overall I wouldn't like to sum up the idea of this thread being a perfectionist's dream. Moreover, I'd like to say that there;s one simple fact still hiding away here: it's just a game.
Elixir wrote:I just told it like it is.

Your situation, dear Newbie-Elixir, is tragic. You fail to see your own mistakes even if some here are telling you. Keep on persisting.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Lol kguy, you believe whatever gets you through the day.

It's funny how I point out your mistakes in the original post, then you try to post my mistakes which divert from the original matter at hand. I'm glad to see you know how to quote people, but that really doesn't help the situation.

I'm not persisting anything. You're simply dodging from the subject. Whenever I'm ignorant or not is purely unrelated to the topic. What I said in my first post, in regards to your comment, proved a little something. And oh no, you don't like that. So let's work on my ignorance and not the fact that you screwed up.

I've made my point very very clear in the original post and if you've earned any award, it would be the one for dodging skills.

And here's a small recap: First you claim that perfect emulation is possible, then you're corrected by somebody, then you say perfect emulation isn't possible. Get your facts straight, kthx?
raiden

Post by raiden »

@Elixir: isn´t it rather simple? You think this thread is meaningless because you don´t see any of the differences it´s concerned with. But other people see them and thus find meaning in this thread. Now what are you trying to achieve by stating your opinion it´s meaningless? You are just drawing attention to the fact you don´t see the differences, you are not convincing anybody that they aren´t there.
Whether the differences mean anything, is somehow related to how long you are playing the game, and not noticing shows clearly you didn´t play it for, say, more than a hundred hours. But other people did and continue to do so. It´s not an insult to call you a newbie, it´s something that can be concluded from what you said, not from your postcount or something stupid like that.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

undamned wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Resurrecting this thread, as 8 1/2 made a comment during last weeks shmupmeet asking if my DDP was a boot (being it slows down at times compared to Mame). This is the first time he has played on the real PCB.
Actually he played it it my house, at one of the AZ meets.
-ud

I was going to bring this up. So, 8.5 noticed a difference between these two PCB's?
zakk

Post by zakk »

8 1/2 did mention playing yours, but didn't quite remember if there was slowdown or not.
Sounds like he didn't remember enough to really compare the two.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Wouldn't this be like REALLY hard to do in the sense that the games slow down usually when there's lots of bullets, and to get the exact same bullet patterns would be... almost impossible?
raiden

Post by raiden »

Wouldn't this be like REALLY hard to do in the sense that the games slow down usually when there's lots of bullets, and to get the exact same bullet patterns would be... almost impossible?
as going for chains means developing a pretty tight route throughout the levels, killing enemies in a fixed order and with strict timing, it´s not that unrealistic. Boss strategies can vary a little more, but with aura damage and the way rank and patterns change with the order in which you destroy parts, it also makes sense to develop a set method for bosses as well. Even if it doesn´t mean you´re getting the exact same number of bullets on screen during each run, variety can become small enough to spot differences in performance easily, but of course this is nothing you can do by playing each version just once or a few times.