Ibara PCB saving/high scores issues

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dorakyura

Ibara PCB saving/high scores issues

Post by dorakyura »

Hi everyone,

I need some help on a problem I have with my Ibara PCB (this is my first SH-3 board): Soft dip settings (e.g. free play) are not saved after turning the board off. I assumed the battery to be dead and consequently replaced it with a new one (CR 2450), but the problem remains.

In addition I noticed a strange effect today: I turned the board on and switched into the test menu, turned on free play and set the clock. Then I played for some time and switched it off only to turn it back on again to see if the setting had been saved (first I waited only a couple of seconds before turning it back on, then a couple of minutes). To my surprise only *part* of the settings were saved, free play was still set but the clock did not show the right time. Leaving it off for a longer period (approx. half an hour) resulted in a complete loss of all settings.

Another issue I'm having is that I can't find a way to display all time scores. From all I've read these should be saved even though the battery is dead, right? I initialized the high scores in the test menu but still can't find them. In the dip switch settings I noticed an option named "ranking save" with is set to "off", but I assume that this refers to in-game rank and has nothing to do with scores.

Thanks for your help!
dorakyura
kernow

Re: Ibara PCB saving/high scores issues

Post by kernow »

dorakyura wrote: Another issue I'm having is that I can't find a way to display all time scores. From all I've read these should be saved even though the battery is dead, right? I initialized the high scores in the test menu but still can't find them. In the dip switch settings I noticed an option named "ranking save" with is set to "off", but I assume that this refers to in-game rank and has nothing to do with scores.
I assumed the same (thought it was like battle garegga or whatever with its rank between credits), but no, it is actually high score saving, turn that on and your board will save hiscores.
dorakyura

Post by dorakyura »

I assumed the same (thought it was like battle garegga or whatever with its rank between credits), but no, it is actually high score saving, turn that on and your board will save hiscores.
Thanks for clearing that up! Unfortunately this brings me back to my initial problem ;-) Should I use a different battery? I remember reading that someone used a CR 2430 instead of CR 2450 (does it actually make a difference?) … I'm puzzled.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

The 2450 battery should be fine. Why did someone use a different one?

All the battery does in these boards is maintain the clock anyways. Perhaps you didn't save it after you set the time. If I play later I'll check the clock setup on mine.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
dorakyura

Post by dorakyura »

brentsg wrote:The 2450 battery should be fine. Why did someone use a different one?
Don't know but now I'm sure that 2450 is the one to use, since it says so on the PCB below the battery.

I checked the voltage of the battery … exactly what it should be (3 V). Then I went back to adjusting the clock once more and noticed that some of the fields showed a hexadecimal number instead of decimal (e.g. "minute" was set on "FF"). Cycling through each field fixed this problem (i.e. the values for "minute" were in the correct range from 0 to 60), however after setting the clock it immediately switched back to a more or less random value (with some fields flickering in between values).

Later on I was able to set the clock within the test menu and started game mode to see if the in-game clock showed the correct time: It didn't ;-) Turning the board off and waiting for some minutes resulted in losing all settings (like "ranking on" and "free play").

So I guess I have to resort to pen and paper for keeping track of my hiscores ;-)