Need help editing a GAMEBOX 104 in 1...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
pmwolf

Need help editing a GAMEBOX 104 in 1...

Post by pmwolf »

Here's what I have:

Gamebox 104 in 1...uses a 1GB compactflash card. Uses ADVMame, although I can't tell for sure what version it uses. I'm not sure about the frontend, either.

Each game has a GameRom.zip, screenshot.pcx, and Game_Name.pcx files (and most have an "nvram.nv" file, but not all).

Part I: I figured it would be easy to add additional games. I used Zookeeper as a test, and put the rom in the rom folder, made PCX's of a screenshot and the game name, and put the nvram where it was supposed to go. Booted up the Gamebox in the arcade cab, and Zookeeper is nowhere to be found on the menu.

Part II: I tried to fake out the system by renaming all the "Zookeeper" files to a game that was already on the list (in this case, Ms. Pac-Man, which wouldn't work with the horizontal monitor anyhow). I removed all the "real" Ms.Pac files, and renamed the Zookeeper ones accordingly. Booted up the Gamebox, and there WAS an entry for Zookeeper, along with a spiffy screenshot...right where the entry for MsPac used to be. However, when I tried to play the game, the Gamebox reset back to the menu screen.

Part III: Did some digging and looked at the Gamebox.cfg. Found:
c://gamebox//IMAGE//
c://gamebox//snap//
c://gamebox//pcx//
c://gamebox//endt.lst
c://endt.lst

advt
adv084
advt
adv084
advt
adv084
advt
adv084
adv084
adv084

I got into the "endt.lst" and found a bunch of cryptic entries. Looked like:
LHA76ICc LHA5775Jc LHA67SOc TQD7SOc CHREKBCUc KFTSEKFCc TA5DBFCc TA5SFCc TAF5FCc TAF4FCc UEAA6FCc TFJTOHCc EUBFLBUT

There were 104 entries like this...or exactly the number of games that the frontend will display. I can't translate the endt.lst file...but my assumption is that this tells the frontend how many roms there are, along with other info. I tried to fake the gamebox out by pasting some additional entries onto the end of this (and changing a letter or two). The Gamebox wouldn't boot up completely after the modification to the endt.lst. (Don't worry, I saved a backup).

As a note, there are TWO identical copies of the "endt.lst" file...one in the root folder, and one in a "Gamebox" folder. I changed both files so they were identical, since it looks like the gamebox.cfg file looks in both places. (See above)

Part IV: I gave up and came here for help.

Basically, I need some help figuring out what to do next. If I can somehow decipher this endt.lst file, or create my own, I think I'd be in business. (Or if I can figure out which program created it/uses it...then I might get closer).

If more details would be helpful, let me know.

Thanks!
Pete
croikle

Post by croikle »

It looks like those entries might be ciphered/munged versions of the rom names. What are the first few rom names alphabetically?
dpful

Post by dpful »

Does the board have an official way to show which games you want displayed on the list (sometimes those come with a list editing feature)?
Just throwing that out there- might provide a clue to how those files are handled.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the drivers are even compiled in for unused hardware platforms. It's not difficult to do a custom build of MAME with a specified set of drivers (frequently done to save memory on embedded ports of MAME, because a full MAME build is huge).
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

croikle wrote:It looks like those entries might be ciphered/munged versions of the rom names. What are the first few rom names alphabetically?
LHA>0c ----> KOF '97
LHA>?Ic ---->KOF '98
LHA76ICc ---->KOF 2001
LHA5775Jc ---->KOF 2002
LHA67SOc ----->KOF 10th
TQD7SOc ---->SNK vs Capcom
CHREKBCUc -----> Double Dragon
KFTSEKFC ------> The Last Blade

I can do more if you think it'd help. Great idea, though. I can see that the "LHA's" equal "KOF" with utmost certainty. Should I try to fashion some kind of decoder ring and hope that everything matches up? Like, L = K, H = O, etc? I see some problems already, because in SNK vs Capcom, K does not equal L.

Hmmm.....
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

dpful wrote:Does the board have an official way to show which games you want displayed on the list (sometimes those come with a list editing feature)?
Just throwing that out there- might provide a clue to how those files are handled.
The top board has a button you press to bring up the game selection menu. From there, you can make games invisible/visible in the menu. Doesn't look like you can do anything else from there, though.

I guess I could make some games invisible, and see what changes it makes to the endt.lst file, though...
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the drivers are even compiled in for unused hardware platforms. It's not difficult to do a custom build of MAME with a specified set of drivers (frequently done to save memory on embedded ports of MAME, because a full MAME build is huge).
True....

Inside the ROM folder is a folder full of BIOS files. Would it help to know what is in there to see if they left some stuff out, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
croikle

Post by croikle »

I'm thinking about the short rom names, like
pmwolf wrote:LHA>0c ---->kof97
LHA>?Ic ---->kof98n
LHA76ICc ---->kof01nd (?)
LHA5775Jc ---->kof2002m
LHA67SOc ----->kof10th
TQD7SOc ---->svc (svc10th?)
CHREKBCUc ----->doubledr
KFTSEKFC ------>lastblad
Characters are swapped, with a -> f and f -> a.

Here's the correspondence. Pairs in parentheses are guesses based on the pattern of the others.
A -- F
B -- E
C -- D

(G -- P)
H -- O
(I -- N)
(J -- M)
K -- L

Q -- V
R -- U
S -- T

(4 -- 3)
5 -- 2
6 -- 1
7 -- 0
8 -- ?
9 -- >

Not sure what the c at the end of most of those means.

This isn't guaranteed to help at all, but it was a fun little cryptographic puzzle.

Edit: With this I can decode the other ones you posted. What fun! Dunno about the stuff at the end of each one, though.
TA5DBFCc = sf2ce + ad (??)
TA5SFCc = sf2t
TAF5FCc = sfa2
TAF4FCc = sfa3
UEAA6FCc = rbff1 (Real Bout Fatal Fury)
TFJTOHCc = samsho
EUBFLBUT = breakers
Last edited by croikle on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

It does look like a simple substitution cipher, but since they're all 8 characters or less it's probably the MAME shortname rather than a full title. I'm not sure what "c" is, but it doesn't seem to be part of the name. I don't think it's a sentinel value because there are some 8-character names that don't have it and at least one 8-character name that does have it.

LHA>0c -> kof97
LHA>?Ic -> kof98n
LHA76ICc -> kof01nd (?)
LHA5775Jc -> kof2002m (?)
LHA67SOc -> kof10th
TQD7SOc -> svc0th (?)
CHREKBCUc -> doubledr
KFTSEKFC -> lastblad
TA5DBFCc -> sf2cead (?)
TA5SFCc -> sf2tad (?)
TAF5FCc -> sfa2ad (?)
TAF4FCc -> sfa3ad (?)
UEAA6FCc -> rbff1ad (?)
TFJTOHCc -> samshod (?)
EUBFLBUT -> breakers

edit: looks like croikle has it.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

You know, the "c" might be the value that tells the system if the game is visible or not in the menu.

I'm going to try to turn one "off", and see if the "c" changes.

BTW: In the actual file, the "c" is off by itself...far away from the 8-letter value.

Pete
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

You might wanna check this site out: http://www.xxxx-in-1.com/index.php
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

Okay, I went through the entire file, and matched up everything with the included ROMS. Armed with this, I think I can make a key, and then attempt to add stuff.

ADVMAME h D ---> This is what leads the file off. Not sure what the "h" and "D" are...but it should be noted that "D" translates to "c", so maybe that explains all the "c's" listed below.

LHA>0c -> KOF97
LHA>?Ic -> KOF98N
LHA76ICc -> KOF01ND
LHA5775Jc -> KOF2002M
LHA67SOc -> kof10th

TQD 7SOc -> SVC.zip is the file, but there is a space between the chars...I'm guessing they copied and pasted the entry above, and the 760 is still the value for "10th." But, the program MUST ignore everything after the space (except the "c"...which might tell the system to get ready for the next entry. Just a theory).

CHREKBCUc -> DOUBLEDR
KFTSEKFCc -> LASTBLAD
TA5DB FCc -> SF2CE
TA5S FCc -> SF2T
TAF5 FCc -> SFA2
TAF4 FCc -> SFA3
UEAA6 FCc -> RBFF1 <----Okay, see how all the "short" filenames have that "FC" on the back end, like they took the "LAST BLADE" entry and copied it 5 or 6 times? After that, they just overwrote with the shorter filename, put in a space (or other character...it shows up differently when I look at it in Wordpad, Notepad, or MSWord). Unfortunately, the space does NOT show up when I copy and paste it onto the messageboards, so you guys didn't get to see it. Sorry.

TFJTOH Cc ->SAMSHO
EUBFLBUTc ->BREAKERS
JTOR BUTァ ->MSHU
JTOQTAMァ ->MSHVSFJ
JQTD AMァ ->MVSC
_JQTA Mァ ->XMVSF <---none of the cast 4 had the "c" at the end...it was all some weird symbol that notepad/word have a rough time displaying. I wonder why? They all show up on the menu.

WA@OSMc ->PFGHTJ
QTFQ5c ->VsAV2
TKFJJFTSc ->SLAMMAST
TOFCHPPc ->shadoww
PPATTSFU・ ->wwfsstar
ce}5 SFUc ->DBZ2
JTKR@ FUc ->MSLUG
JTKR@_ Uc ->MSLUGX
JT4@ _Uc ->MS3
FKNBIT Uロ ->ALIENS
EKHHCEUHc ->BLOODBRO
DUNJBD Hc ->CRIMEC
MWFUL Hc ->JPARK
FQTWNUNSc ->AVSPIRIT
UHEHDHW5c ->ROBOCOP2
ttucurcf・ ->SSRIDERS/ssrdruda (Both zips are there, but this points to the smaller one (ssdruda).
SHLN rcfc ->TOKI
JHH rcfァ ->MOO
DFEFK cf・ ->cabal
LHQ Kcfc ->KOV
LHQWKRTc ->KOVPLUS
13TSUBBSc ->64STREET
4PHICBUTw ->3WONDERS
FQTW BUTc ->AVSP
FKSEBFTSc ->ALTBEAST
EFCCRCBTc ->BADDUDES
EFSJFITc ->BATMAN
ERDL^ Tソ ->BUCKY
DFWSDHJJc ->CAPTCOMM
CNIH HJJc ->DINO
CCUF@HI G¬ ->DDRAGON (That G- at the very end stops the entire line in the file. It starts a "new paragraph" after that).
CCUF@HI5c ->DDRAGON2
CCSHC I5c ->DDTOD
@OHRKT 5 gm ->GHOULS (gm is off by its own...where the "c" usually is).
@HKCIF_Bc ->GOLDNAXE
OHHL F_Bァ ->HOOK
MMTVRFPLc ->JJSQUAWK
LFUFSEK]c ->KARATBLZ
LRI@ARJc ->KUNGFUM
KNVRNCLc ->LIQUIDK
JSPNITァ ->MTWINS
JNF IT・ ->MIA
JHHIPKLEc ->MOONWLKB
INSC KLEc ->NITD
WHP KLE ' ->POW
unhsdns~・ ->RIOTCITY
TBI@HLR5c ->SENGOKU2
TIHPEUHTc ->SNOBROS
TIHPEUH5・ ->SNOBRO2
TRWBUJFIc ->SUPERMAN
SJOS5W Iァ ->TMHT2P
BCUFIC^c ->EDRANDY
QBICBS5wc ->VENDET2P
QNHTSHUJ'N ->VIOSTORM
TRWUJUNHc ->SUPRMRIO
PEH^ UNHc ->WBOY
_JBI5WMマ2 ->XMEN2PJ
THINDPN5c ->SONICWI2
DSHJFCF^c ->CTOMADAY
@N@FPNI@c ->GIGAWING
T6>32WIc ->S1945PN
SPNITWUNc ->TWINSPRI
ETTHDDBU・ ->BSSOCCER
DHISDNUD・ ->CONTCIRC
HRSURIDc ->OUTRUN
DOFTBOV・ ->CHASEHQ
ttncbln3・ ->SSIDEKI4
UBFKEULc ->REALBRK
WDLS@FKc ->PCKTGAL
EREK5777c ->BUBL2000
WEHEEKBc ->PBOBBLE
WEHEEKB5c ->PBOBBLE2
EREKEHEKc ->BUBLBOBL
EREKEHE5c ->BOBLBOB2
UFNIEHPc ->RAINBOW
EREEKBJ・ ->bubblem
FULUBSUIc ->ARKRETRN
WFI@4 UIc ->PANG3
REFKKHHIラ ->uballoon
TWA5S HIc ->SPF2T
FSBSUNTc ->ATETRIS
EEJFIP・ ->BBMANW
WRDLWLJIc ->PUCKPKMN
@FKWFIT5c ->GALPANS2
JTWFDJFIc ->mspacman

I half expected to find "Drink your Ovaltine" somewhere in there.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

One more bit of info:

When you go into the in-game utility to hide games on the menu, it REWRITES the "endt.lst" file in the root directory...taking out all games that are hidden. (So, instead of 104 entries, the endt.lst went down to 94 after I "hid" 10 games).

However, the spare endt.lst file in the "Gamebox" directory stayed the same.

I tried adding Zookeeper to the list, but can't get the Gamebox to boot afterward. (zookeep = }HHLBBW)

I think I need something legit to edit the .lst file...I think notepad leaves out some stuff...but I'm not sure what else to use.

If anyone wants to see the endt.lst file: http://rapidshare.com/files/242709251/endt.lst.html

(I think it can be downloaded 10 times...but I can't figure out any other place to put it).

Pete
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've got one of those original Gamebox setups that comes with a HDD (with the red colored PCB scheme) rather than a Compact Flash setup. What is really nice is that you can remove the HDD and hook it up to another PC and upload new roms to it and it will recognize them upon having the HDD inserted back into the Gamebox and powering it up. It goes through the self booting process and voila, new game listed on the master list. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I've got one of those original Gamebox setups that comes with a HDD (with the red colored PCB scheme) rather than a Compact Flash setup. What is really nice is that you can remove the HDD and hook it up to another PC and upload new roms to it and it will recognize them upon having the HDD inserted back into the Gamebox and powering it up. It goes through the self booting process and voila, new game listed on the master list. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
This is a red-pcb scheme, also. The bottom board has an obvious HD "blue" connector (for the HD ribbon cable)...wonder if I could hook up a HD instead and use a ghost of what you're running?

I'd guess there would be issues...

Wonder why they changed the setup of the Gamebox from yours to mine? Sounds like they are using different frontends, or something. You haven't seen a "endt.lst" file anywhere in yours, have you?

Pete
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

pmwolf wrote:I tried adding Zookeeper to the list, but can't get the Gamebox to boot afterward. (zookeep = }HHLBBW)
You should first try running a set for which you can be sure that the driver is actually compiled in. I'd go with "jumping", a Rainbow Islands bootleg, since the MAME set hasn't changed in ages (the Neo-Geo and CPS2 sets have pretty much all changed recently) and it shares a driver with Rainbow Islands. It's possible that they even went through and scrubbed the supported ROM sets from the drivers, but that's less likely than just excluding unused drivers (more work and very little benefit).
I think I need something legit to edit the .lst file...I think notepad leaves out some stuff...but I'm not sure what else to use.
Notepad definitely changes something (at least the Windows 7 version does). The file length doesn't change, but the hash of the file does; it might be stripping/converting what it sees as invalid character codes. At a minimum you probably need a hex editor if you want to not mangle the file (frhed is free and serviceable if you're on Windows).
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

Thanks for the advice on the Hexeditor...got it, and I like it. Heck, I haven't used one of these since I hacked all my TV SPorts Basketball disks for the Amiga, just so I could get the announcer to say some really, really bad things (and to make all my guys 7'6").

I just compared some of the roms in the Gamebox folder to the Roms on my PC's MAME folder. The sizes don't match up...for example, Altered Beast on the Gamebox is only 830kb, and the zip file contains 16 files, whereas Alered Beast in my own personal MAME folder is 1.05mb, and contains 21 files in the zip folder.

Rainbow.zip is a different size, too.

Is it possible I'm just using the wrong romsets? How can I tell what version this thing is running? (I wish I could get it to run on my PC, but all the files don't like running in an XP DOS Shell. If I COULD get it to run, this would be a lot more efficient...right now I try one thing, put the CF card back into the gamebox, put the GB back together, run it downstairs, hook it up to the cab, boot, fail, take it all back apart and try again. I don't feel like building a Win98 PC at the moment, but it would probably save me time. Yeesh).

Thanks!
Pete
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

pmwolf wrote:I just compared some of the roms in the Gamebox folder to the Roms on my PC's MAME folder. The sizes don't match up...for example, Altered Beast on the Gamebox is only 830kb, and the zip file contains 16 files, whereas Alered Beast in my own personal MAME folder is 1.05mb, and contains 21 files in the zip folder.

Rainbow.zip is a different size, too.
Split vs. merged sets, perhaps?
kevindj

Re: Need help editing a GAMEBOX 104 in 1...

Post by kevindj »

did you get any further with this like adding a hard drive or another flash card with more roms on, im in the same boat the endt.lst file is causing problems :cry:
pmwolf

Re: Need help editing a GAMEBOX 104 in 1...

Post by pmwolf »

Nope, no luck as of yet.

I haven't made any other attempts for a while, but if I get anywhere, I'll let you know.