RQ: Gradius on the Game Boy... Great game but damn hard!

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
DZ_1984

RQ: Gradius on the Game Boy... Great game but damn hard!

Post by DZ_1984 »

Hi guys, I'm new on this board. Seems like a cool site you've got here! Anyway, I recently re-purchased Konami GB Collection Vol1 (which is a great collection by the way!). I've been playing Gradius ALOT, and have not cleared the second stage yet :( Am I crap or is it just really, really hard?! Also, any strategies or advise? Cheers.
TVG

Post by TVG »

:?

there's a shield powerup, use it, lots.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The laser seems to be way better than the expanded shots. Use that. The shield is your best friend, use it a lot too. Be extra careful about running into walls and enemies, as the shield won't save you there - if you have to run into something, make it a bullet and not a wall. Also, don't get more than one or two speed-ups, as you'll start going uncontrollably fast.
DZ_1984

Post by DZ_1984 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I did complete stage 2 last night-huzzah! I changed my strategy, making the force-field a priority. I was so glad to finish that damn level! It really is a wicked game.
DZ_1984

Post by DZ_1984 »

Well, after some tactic changes and getting really used to the weapons system, I completed Gradius this weekend!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Congrats! :D Welcome to the wonderful world of shmupping. You realize you can never leave now, right? :wink: