Is it me or is S-Video looking better than RGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shelcoof

Is it me or is S-Video looking better than RGB?

Post by Shelcoof »

Hey all

In my failed attempt to acquiring a pair of perfectly working Saturn RGB cables, I went back to using S-Video. To my surprise the picture is looking really good for some reason.

Now here's the story..... ever since I got my HDTV I've been trying to get all my consoles hooked up onto it. The only console left I have been trouble getting working was my Saturn which only had S-Video. My HDTV doesn't accept S-VIdeo so the next best thing was to get a converter and use a pair of RGB cables. Unfortunately for me all the RGB cables I've acquired for the system seem not to work properly.

Anyways to my desperate attempt I've discovered that I'm really enjoying the look of how my Saturn looks through S-Video on my Standard TV vs the RGB up scaled to 720p onto my HDTV. I've even tried Emulation as well on my Notebook to compare as well how things look and I'm finding the Standard TV set-up with S-Video source to be more eye pleasing.

I'm not sure if it's the Standard TV or if it's the S-Video. I've always assumed RGB on an HDTV would look best but it doesn't in this case. Maybe it's because it is the Saturn and not the Dreamcast or the PS2 I dunno.

Anyways what do you guys think? Is it just me or does anyone else prefer a similar set-up?

Shelcoof
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Is it me or is S-Video looking better than RGB?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

S-Video always looks great on a SD TV monitor. That's odd your HDTV doesn't have a S-Video input...most higher-end HDTVs do have the whole range of inputs: RF input, composite video, S-Video, Component Video, PC VGA input, DVI, HDMI input, etc.

When you start dealing with high-end Japanese HDTVs, then you'll see the more exotic inputs like RGB input and D-Terminal input (the type of inputs not found on the North American NTSC-based HDTVs).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Hey PCE

I found it odd too that my HDTV doesn't have S-Video. But then again it's not a Japanese brand it's a Samsung. It's only a 32inch so I'm guessing it's one of those budget entry HDTVs but hey input lag on the thing is great so I'm not complaining.

I've seen S-Video inputs on higher end Samsung models so yhaa it most likely is a budget entry HDTV.

Now you got me curious, I'm wondering how different cables work on different TVs.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Svideo has a much brighter appearance. However, it does tend to "flake" polygons on the Saturn. If you look at Panzer dragoon 2 for example, you will notice it has a much more flakey appearance than it does through RGB. Its just preference though after all.

You will inevitably get buzzing from a RGB SCART cable, since I always did no matter which cable I bought. On a 32" LCD HDTV, your going to lose something no matter what you do. The best option for the Saturn is the XRGB.

If I play my Saturn on my HDTV (40") it looks terrible. The XRGB does a great job of making it look nicer. However, you still have the borders on the edge which make it look like ass. My Saturn has been in its box for so long now I don't even remember what it looks like.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
antron

Post by antron »

Do TVs in Canada typically have SCART?
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

antron wrote:Do TVs in Canada typically have SCART?
Unfortunately the letter 'ZED' is the coolest thing we've ever gotten from England and they wont trade it back for scart.

http://tinyurl.com/6da5lb
=/
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

@ neorichieb1971

Yhaa I've notice polygon games look a lot smoother with RGB on the HDTV but most of the games I'm playing on my saturn are 2d Shmups. Games in general though look a bit rougher for some reason on a standard TV. I think it has something to do with the scan-lines maybe.

I guess you can say I'm really liking this rough look with 2d games, almost reminds me of playing back in the arcades when I was a kid.
With 3d games on the saturn I prefer RGB on the HDTV but with 2d I sometimes get a mixed feeling. RGB on the HDTV sometimes look a bit too smooth and a bit washed. This can look ugly at times where you can see all the details.

But with a Standard TV, things look just about right. You don't see the ugliness at all and the picture is nice and crisp.

I considered picking up an XRGB-2 but couldn't justify spending so much on a device just to play a couple of games on it. Plus there were better alternatives out there for me so I ended my search for one.

@ antron
We never used Scart here in Canada and the only time I've ever seen a scart cable was when my first PS2 cables arrived.
antron

Post by antron »

Shelcoof wrote: In my failed attempt to acquiring a pair of perfectly working Saturn RGB cables, I went back to using S-Video.

Anyways to my desperate attempt I've discovered that I'm really enjoying the look of how my Saturn looks through S-Video on my Standard TV vs the RGB up scaled to 720p onto my HDTV.
just trying to understand how you have this all hooked up. what do you mean by RGB cables? SCART RGB? how are you scaling up to 720p?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

antron wrote: just trying to understand how you have this all hooked up. what do you mean by RGB cables? SCART RGB? how are you scaling up to 720p?
Alright... here goes

I have a Standard Definition TV and I have an HDTV.
I have an HDBox Converter which accepts Scart and Component Input and outputs the signal as a 720p signal via the HDMI cable.
I also have S-Video cable for my Saturn as well.

So on my Standard TV I use S-Video.
HDTV I use a Scart Cable connected to the HDBox and that is hooked up to the HDTV.

Thats about it. But unfortunately for me though my RGB cables for my saturn do not function so well, picture goes on and off randomly for me. Though I do get a solid picture whenever it decides to work for the very few seconds.