GD: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Emuser

GD: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

Post by Emuser »

Requirements to begin Ura Midboss appearances in stage 1 requires:

*No deaths(a warning mainly for power users, you CAN autobomb in the other two styles but you shouldn't be getting hit at all either way).
*Full hyper before midboss(before the warp part)
*Collect the 3 bees(you apparently don't need to actually pick them up if you don't reveal them but it's a good idea anyways so you get your hyper back)
*Tanks run over none of the silos(one exception seen in video below)

From then on, it is imperative that you don't lose a life at all from the instant you reach the Ura path up until the boss for any given stage. It is a good idea to collect all the bees too.

Silo that is seen ran over by a tank in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAWEgY7VmA is an exception to the tanks running over silos rule.

*Note: IF you miss getting onto the Ura path in the first stage, then you can re-enter the Ura path starting on stage 3 if you collect the 7 bees on each stage in the normal path and not die at all excluding bosses.

Thanks to adversity for clearing up various problems, maybe someday we can narrow down requirements to a 100% for sure list, but this is pretty damn close.

<changed RQ to GD -inc.>
Last edited by Emuser on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
adversity1

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements?

Post by adversity1 »

I dunno if you're the same person who asked on Cave-stg, but I replied there (for the 3rd mid-boss):
You can't die on either the stage 1 or 2 mid-boss, and you have to get all the bees in stages 1 and 2.

Good luck, the stage 3 mid-boss is the key to kickstarting some good scores!
For every mid-boss afterwards you just have to collect all bees in all stages and not die on any mid-boss.

Sometimes you can also re-enter the ura boss loop if you miss mid-bosses 1 and 2 and I believe this is by simply collecting all bees/no deaths on mid-bosses.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I am not said person you replied to a while back...so basically collect all bees and don't die against any midbosses?

Thank you, I've learned all the bee locations and have been doing my best collecting them all, but I think I keep consistently missing one of the bees that appear during the 3rd Ura midboss.

I've begun entering the tsuujou loop consistently so I hope that I can soon enough begin entering the Ura loop :)
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

ResumeDPosition wrote:I am not said person you replied to a while back...so basically collect all bees and don't die against any midbosses?

Thank you, I've learned all the bee locations and have been doing my best collecting them all, but I think I keep consistently missing one of the bees that appear during the 3rd Ura midboss.

I've begun entering the tsuujou loop consistently so I hope that I can soon enough begin entering the Ura loop :)
Well...it's not exactly that easy :D

But good luck to you! And post up some scores when you get a chance.

Re: the bees on the third mid-boss, there's an easy way to stabilize the first bee which is the only one you have to do no-hyper. Just strafe right when the screen starts scrolling down and destroy the purple installation thing. Then strafe back left through the pink bullets and grab the bee-> hyper.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

adversity1 wrote: Well...it's not exactly that easy :D

Re: the bees on the third mid-boss, there's an easy way to stabilize the first bee which is the only one you have to do no-hyper. Just strafe right when the screen starts scrolling down and destroy the purple installation thing. Then strafe back left through the pink bullets and grab the bee-> hyper.
So far since I last posted here, I've just hit the Ura loop once, died at Taisabachi though. My best score at the moment is:

C-Strong - EX-Boss - 13,218,591,182 - DAD

I'd transfer a photo from my phone but I'm not sure how to right now. I know C-Strong is the closest thing to a cheese ship in this game, but I feel like doing a full 2-loop clear first before going down to bomb.
TLB

Post by TLB »

i'm jealous of all these DFK players ^_^ it looks like an incredible game; can't wait to try it some day. does EX-BOSS mean the last boss of the second loop or something?
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

ResumeDPosition wrote:
adversity1 wrote: Well...it's not exactly that easy :D

So far since I last posted here, I've just hit the Ura loop once, died at Taisabachi though. My best score at the moment is:

C-Strong - EX-Boss - 13,218,591,182 - DAD

I'd transfer a photo from my phone but I'm not sure how to right now. I know C-Strong is the closest thing to a cheese ship in this game, but I feel like doing a full 2-loop clear first before going down to bomb.
Damn, that's sick. When you start chaining you're gonna be a beast.

I better get practicing lol.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Post again, even though I usually get into the Ura 1st loop whenever I play, I just noticed a video of mrmonkeyman getting into the Ura 1st loop even though a tank ran over a silo in the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAWEgY7VmA

I still haven't figured out EXACTLY 100% what gets you into it but every time I don't get it in the beginning, I feel like hitting something cause I don't know what I did wrong.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

First building on the right does not need to be destroyed. But I usually do because my stage 1 pattern is conservative.
moebinkay

Post by moebinkay »

m3tall1ca wrote:i'm jealous of all these DFK players ^_^ it looks like an incredible game; can't wait to try it some day. does EX-BOSS mean the last boss of the second loop or something?
Ex-boss are the bosses that were confronted back in dodonpachi and dodonpachi daioju. they brought them back as special bosses.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

moebinkay wrote:
m3tall1ca wrote:i'm jealous of all these DFK players ^_^ it looks like an incredible game; can't wait to try it some day. does EX-BOSS mean the last boss of the second loop or something?
Ex-boss are the bosses that were confronted back in dodonpachi and dodonpachi daioju. they brought them back as special bosses.
Wrong...
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

moebinkay wrote:
Ex-Boss only means that a player reached Taisabachi/Hibachi and died on one of the two.
(No flashing at all means Tsuujou, EX only flashing means death on Taisabachi in Ura loop, both flashing means death on Hibachi in Ura loop.)
Last edited by Emuser on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommyb

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

Post by tommyb »

I can hit the Ura loop every time if I don't worry about scoring/hypering at the beginning of the first stage but it seems very random when I do actually try and score and use a hyper at the beginning. I play B-Power, and I'll hyper right at the beginning making sure that the tanks don't run any silos over and I get all the bees. I get my hyper back around the time I kill the last tank. Is that too late? I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I get into the Ura loop maybe 1/5 tries.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've found that if I stick to the left for a while (around where I destroy the first tank) I have better luck than if I immediately rush off the kill more silos/tanks, as long as I do the rest correctly of course.

Still, the stage 1 Ura route is basically my least favorite thing about DFK. If you can't do it consistently it become extremely frustrating and can really kill your patience with the game as a whole.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

CStarFlare wrote:I've found that if I stick to the left for a while (around where I destroy the first tank) I have better luck than if I immediately rush off the kill more silos/tanks, as long as I do the rest correctly of course.

Still, the stage 1 Ura route is basically my least favorite thing about DFK. If you can't do it consistently it become extremely frustrating and can really kill your patience with the game as a whole.
Agreed. I got that pretty much down, now my problem is on the second stage midboss in the ura-loop. I see people in replays getting up to 7000+ chain right at the end of the midboss fight and I have absolutely no idea how people are doing that.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

You get hits very quickly when you're lasering lasers is what's happening there, and you want to pointblank the laser wheel the boss throws at the end (that requires not damaging the midboss too much too). Milking lasers for lots of hits is also the most effective way to build up your hit counter on stages 3, 4 and 5.
Deca

Post by Deca »

tommyb wrote:I can hit the Ura loop every time if I don't worry about scoring/hypering at the beginning of the first stage but it seems very random when I do actually try and score and use a hyper at the beginning. I play B-Power, and I'll hyper right at the beginning making sure that the tanks don't run any silos over and I get all the bees. I get my hyper back around the time I kill the last tank. Is that too late? I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I get into the Ura loop maybe 1/5 tries.
Same thing is happening to me with a drastically lower success rate. I can do it every time if I don't hyper. Can anyone explain what the fuck is going on because it's reaaaally starting to piss me off.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

I'll make a video (with drunk commentary) tonight when I get home. It's not too difficult once you figure out what to do. I play C-Power, but the same tactics can transfer over to the other power ships.
lol
Deca

Post by Deca »

I just can't figure out at all how hypering in the beginning changes it so much. I'm killing the same stuff in the same order and ending up with refilled hyper quickly. One time I got in my hyper gauge was half full and I was milking bullets off the last tank as it kicked over :s
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

The 1-2 ura midboss is tricky because those laser wheels (and earlier bullet patterns) are shot out in different directions each time. Are there any tricks to force the midboss to throw out a nice even pattern thats best for building the hit gauge?
TLB

Post by TLB »

mesh control wrote:I'll make a video (with drunk commentary) tonight when I get home. It's not too difficult once you figure out what to do. I play C-Power, but the same tactics can transfer over to the other power ships.
I truly look forward to this.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

derpderpderp

:| :| :|
I haven't play this game for a while -_-;
lol
TLB

Post by TLB »

"Fuckin' blew it. God damnit."

"This is scrub play. Don't take my advice."

*clickclickclickclick*

"tap tap tap tap tap tap tap"

"Hyperrrr!"

"There we go!"

Fantastic commentary. If this isn't too difficult for you to set up and do, I'd personally be really happy if you made lots of these for whatever sections of games you are confident that you can help demonstrate a "proper" method for. This is exactly the kind of thing we westerners miss -- the Japanese get this all day errdeh in the game centers. (Not to mention your friendly, conversational tone and varied colloquialisms.)

Thanks again for this ^_-
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Nice video.

My honest advice as a longtime DDPR veteran and a brief holder of the western record:

give the fuck up on scoring in Stage 1. Just make sure you get into the Ura route all the way through Stage 2.

DDPR starts to have meaning at Stage 3.

I also had to alter my philosophy towards Stage 5. Whereas a lot of people look at it as this obnoxious stage which makes up so much of the total score, Stage 5 is actually the only thing that keeps a game based on rote repetitious practicing (at least at first, to stay in Ura) fun and interesting. As long as you are still in Ura, even if you fuck up your Stage 3 and 4 chains, if you manage a solid chain on Stage 5 you are already on the top 10 for most of the western leaderboards. A cool 250 bil.

Hoo baby.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

The usual way to screw up the Ura route entry is thinking that you destroyed a silo, when in reality it was crushed by a tank just moments before you managed to do enough damage to it. I'm not completely sure of the following, but I believe it's still possible to get it to count if you manage to finish the silo during the explosion animation when it's being crushed. In that situation, you will hear the silo explode two times. So my advice is to still keep lasering the spot for a short while after you see the silo go down. You can see this in action in this video.

Also note that the second silo that first tank crushes later does NOT need to be destroyed. The only silos you really need to pay attention to are the one destroyed in that linked bit, and the one the second tank crushes. (I don't really know about the silo with the third tank, but that one gives you so much time you really can't fail destroying it.)

Some more stage 5 philosophy from another ex-record holder :lol:: People sometimes complain that stage 5 is worth too much compared to the rest of the game, but if you look at it, there's nothing illogical in that. Half of the potential score comes from that stage, but the stage is also almost half of the total playtime. The way I see it is that 5 is just the second, harder half of a loop. The game is still by far the most forgiving DDP since it lacks the sadistic max bomb bonus of the others. As long as you stay in the Ura route, earlier screw ups will do nothing to the scoring potential of the later stages.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Most CAVE games follow the "50%+ of score comes from stage 5" pattern.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

To this very day I still mess up getting the ura path sometimes. Thank you Cave for blessing us with quite possibly one of the most ridiculous ways to go about finding an alternate path w/o also giving us an indicator of when we failed to do something correctly or not.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I just cannot activate the hyper and get it recharged before I get to the point where the paths split. Holding onto it isn't an option because the chain breaks if you stop killing things for more than one-millionth of a second.

I don't know how people manage it.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
Deca

Post by Deca »

You just haven't found the sweet spot for aura charging where the boats pop out from under the bridge at the very beginning. I didnt get it for a while either, move to the left less and spend as much time as possible off to the right, you'll have almost a full charge before moving left if you do it right. Once you get it once or twice it's easy to do consistently.

Also holding onto the hyper and chaining through is very easy with a bare minimum of planning.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Deca wrote:You just haven't found the sweet spot for aura charging where the boats pop out from under the bridge at the very beginning. I didnt get it for a while either, move to the left less and spend as much time as possible off to the right, you'll have almost a full charge before moving left if you do it right. Once you get it once or twice it's easy to do consistently.

Also holding onto the hyper and chaining through is very easy with a bare minimum of planning.
I've seen people hover on the right for a long time and I assume you are right in that respect. Maybe I'm too far up the screen (over the bridge)? I don't have a charge until I've moved to kill the left wave of helicopters and have wiped out some of the stuff on the road and one (or two) of the hovering crafts (ie just before my sweep to the right that would net me the bee.)

Based on top replays I'm full charge considerably later. Late enough that I'd miss a major bullet stream canceling opportunity.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.