RGB or VGA --- > HDMI Upscaling

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DC906270

RGB or VGA --- > HDMI Upscaling

Post by DC906270 »

Can anyone recommend a device for converting RGB scart (ie older consoles) or VGA to HDMI format? and will it look any good?
Last edited by DC906270 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC906270

Re: RGB --- > HDMI Upscaling

Post by DC906270 »

or even a VGA ----> HDMI converter, like this

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi/vga-hdmi-converter.html

any thoughts? is it a simple conversion to do? as i would like to take the output from my XRGB thru one of these to HDMI, as long as the quality remains...
Fudoh

Re: RGB or VGA --- > HDMI Upscaling

Post by Fudoh »

The VGA to HDMI boxes are fine. The signal resolution stays the same. I had a Gefen VGA to HDMI box which is about twice the price, but probably only because it had the possibility to upscaler the incoming VGA signal.

RGB to HDMI (240p/480i to 720p) is crappy, don't go this way.

Make sure first, that your display handles HDMI as good as VGA. Oftentimes VGA looks great, but HDMI looks crappy and lag is added. The reason is that VGA ports are handled for graphics only with no to little processing, while the HDMI inputs are often handled as video inputs with lots of processing going on.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

OK thanks Fudoh, i think ill go vga--->hdmi, as a way of getting round my tv's dislike of my Playstations signal through the xrgb and into the vga port. hope it works anyway, running the xrgb into one of those vga-->hdmi converters :?
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

doesnt bladdy work, my sony bravia still cant take the signal, when connected from the xrgb and into the hdmi converter, the picture keeps disappearing :x will have to get an ntsc console