Darius Burst announced for PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FRO

Re: Darius Burst announced for PSP

Post by FRO »

Oooooh, daddy like! I think I just peed a little.

WOW, can't wait for this. Not liking the price tag too much for the JP version, but man, if there are not takers for a US budget conversion, I might have to be sold on this. Been wanting another Darius game since I finally bought G-Darius about 5 years ago.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

if the music is any indication, I'll be hunting down a soundtrack like it's my mission in life.
I'm with ya. Even if there isn't an official OST release, I'll find some way to get the BGM. Bet your ass I will!
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Found the promo box yesterday at Yodobashi Akiba.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Nate

Post by Nate »

^^I'm starting to sweat!
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Better pic:

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I haven't the slightest idea how this game is going to turn out, but it is nice to see a sci-fi shmup cover with a bad ass looking space ship on it again. Been a while!
Kron

Post by Kron »

I've only just noticed that box has the December the 10th release date compared to the previous one which was the 24th wasn't it?

Actually just noticed that Play-Asia have it up for order now with the Dec 10 date...

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq ... -3lh8.html
Price: US$ 48.90 (~30.24 GBP)

I hope G.Rev did have some involvement with it.

Edit- I forgot the can't ship to EU remit they have with Playstation products, Wheres the best place to get it from then? NCSX?
sunburstbasser

Post by sunburstbasser »

Thats the best Darius cover art out there. I seem to recall almost all of them show the Silver Hawk from some weird angle or behind. Finally, the Silver Hawk actually looks like a dominating fighter!
boagman

Post by boagman »

Kron wrote:I forgot the can't ship to EU remit they have with Playstation products, Wheres the best place to get it from then? NCSX?
Yep. You'll pay somewhat more (not much, but shipping will be higher, obviously), but NCSX ships their product worldwide. I've been just as happy with NCSX as I've been with P/A.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

evil_ash_xero wrote:nice to see a sci-fi shmup cover with a bad ass looking space ship on it again. Been a while!
Silver Hawks are nice, but don't forget the release of Thunderforce VI and Raiden IV during the past year, with nice starfighter covers too. :)
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

This should be a good excuse for me to finally get a PSP.

Not liking the shiny new aesthetic too much, though, I prefer the more organic look of the older Darius games, and it helped reinforce that you were fighting a NEW RACE OF LIFEFORMS, not some evil empire's robo-army.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Estebang wrote:This should be a good excuse for me to finally get a PSP.
I got a 3001 model this weekend!
Gonna warm up for Darius Burst with Strikers 1945 Plus, Parodius and Salamander until it is out. :)
lgb

Post by lgb »

J-Manic wrote:I'm with ya. Even if there isn't an official OST release, I'll find some way to get the BGM. Bet your ass I will!
only Darius Twin and Force did not receive OST releases and I really do not need to explain that
Estebang wrote:This should be a good excuse for me to finally get a PSP.

Not liking the shiny new aesthetic too much, though, I prefer the more organic look of the older Darius games, and it helped reinforce that you were fighting a NEW RACE OF LIFEFORMS, not some evil empire's robo-army.
You /were/ fighting some evil guy's robo-army save for G-Darius iirc (aka THE WAR AGAINST BELSER)
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

I'll admit I never actually bothered to read up on the story of any of the Darius games besides G, so thanks for clearing up my misconception.

Even still, yeah, the organic look suits the games better when everything's modeled after sea life.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Info on some of the musicians involved:

http://zuntata.jp/pickup/db_sound.html

Some Metal Black, Psychic Force and earlier Darius veterans involved.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

adversity1 wrote:Info on some of the musicians involved:

http://zuntata.jp/pickup/db_sound.html

Some Metal Black, Psychic Force and earlier Darius veterans involved.
No arguments here, but unless it's YACK and from the original Metal Black score, he (Katsuhisa Ishikawa) was hardly involved. He wrote lyrics for two tracks on a Metal Black arrange album.

So far this (Darius Burst) reeks of OGR and I'll be interested to hear more when it comes around. As far as the game is concerned, I hope it is as dynamic and challenging as G-Darius was since progression is expected, despite being on PSP.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
lgb

Post by lgb »

"Despite"? To be fair, the PSP is supposed to be a somewhat weaker and portable PS2; far more powerful than the PSX. There is no excuse not to bring something new to the table.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

lgb wrote:"Despite"? To be fair, the PSP is supposed to be a somewhat weaker and portable PS2; far more powerful than the PSX. There is no excuse not to bring something new to the table.
This is based on my earlier sentiments regarding Thunder Force 6. Being on PS2, even late in a systems life (which could be argued of worse effort over better effort/technology due to time), wasn't too much of progression over the past games and didn't really push the envelope despite being a good/fun game.

As brief comments earlier suggest, the scale of the game has seemingly taken a step backwards from G-Darius in terms of number of stages and boss/fish sizes. However, it's not completely confirmed at this point so there is a sense of potential to be had in the time coming before Darius Burst sees release. I think this comes from the fact developers see the risk of making a shooter outweighing the pros of it being successful. Keeping in mind to make a game more accesible means the possibilty of more green, leaves less room for assets towards development and perhaps more involved ideas to be implemented within the game being left out. Even though good intentions were in mind when TF6 was being made I have the feeling there was a lot of behind-the-scenes uncertainty for those who're funding the production, which in all likelihood left it in the state we know it today, nothing terribly special. Make no mistake I still quite like it but I was expecting more. The same goes for Darius Burst although I hope there is little to be letdown about if anything.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

You should also take into account that Burst is being designed and marketed as a handheld game, not a full-fledged console software. It's certainly no excuse for lazy design or the game sucking (not that I think it will), but would that "sense of scale" really mean anything on a palm-sized screen?

Oh yeah, bets on this getting a budget PSN release in the States in half a year.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Estebang wrote:You should also take into account that Burst is being designed and marketed as a handheld game, not a full-fledged console software. It's certainly no excuse for lazy design or the game sucking (not that I think it will), but would that "sense of scale" really mean anything on a palm-sized screen?
The sense of scale I speak of is just as I mentioned:
yeah wrote:the scale of the game has seemingly taken a step backwards from G-Darius in terms of number of stages and boss/fish sizes.
It has nothing to do with screen size. It's in reference to the good point raised earlier, which I also spoke of, here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 96#p509996 Not to mention the confirmed point about # of stages: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 10#p505710
Not speaking literally as it's on a small, portable, handheld system but rather being scaled back in-game; fewer stages & smaller enemies.

Also, being on a PSP doesn't consitute full-fledged console software? I don't think that's a valid cop-out at all. There are plenty of long games on PSP, even long shooters (Strikers Plus=2 loops) so there is no excuse. I'd only say there's an excuse because of the hardware capability and how much resources a developer is willing to dump on the unknown (a shooter), even if it has a very well known history such as Darius. Go big or go home; that's how I feel since I seek a challenging and in-depth Darius, much like G-Darius is.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I translated most of the text, just leaving out the unimportant stuff. You really don't need me to explain to you what an Arcade Mode is, right? Please note that some names are straight romanizations since I do not know of a word in English that matches and that this information may not be 100% correct. I'm not a pro translator afterall.

New ship

- There's a second Silver Hawk Burst ship alias Next for exclusive use by humans. The ship has a different shape than the "Legend" Silver Hawk Burst (ship 1) but uses the same technology.

- Next has homing missiles but the shots of its main gun has limited spread.

Characters

- TI2 (the two girls)
Pilots of the first Silver Hawk Burst ship, "Legend." They are not human, but instead they are Darius Network's newest AI terminals. Since there's the fear that weapons may turn against humans, they were created to resemble females and soften the fear. Their appearance has little to do with their performance. The name TI2 comes from the legendary hero of Darius, Tiat, who piloted the Silver Hawk and saved humanity.

- Riiga Puratika (the guy)
The pilot of the second Silver Hawk Burst ship, Next. He's a male test pilot who belongs to the space army and "Riiga Puratika" is a codename used inside the military. It means, "soldier in training with stripes." Like the name implies, he has the position of test pilot and numerous wounds from his past test battles.

Game modes

- Arcade Mode: your run-of-the-mill Arcade Mode. You can change difficulty and number of lives in Options.

- Burst Mode: basically the same as the Arcade Mode. However, you have one life and can't continue but have maxed out shot, bomb and arms. Furthermore, you can freely change between weapons by pressing L or R. Power ups won't appear.

Zones intro (these were a little hard to translate. Some details may be wrong.)

Zone A (stage 1): the mother planet Darius. You go from a military base built at the bottom of the sea and continue onto the road to the orbital elevator.

Zone B (stage 2): High in the skies of Darius. Pass through the Orbital Elevator and go to space. The Orbital Ring that ties the Orbital Elevator can be seen.

Zone C (stage 3): The Beruzaa's (enemy) stationed fleet. They're holding down a space-time spot where it's easy to enter hyperspace.

Zone D (stage 4): A planet destroyed by the Shiima that has turned into an asteroid field. There's a lot of harmful obstacles.

Bosses info (this is extremely hard to translate, so I'll only post the parts that I am sure about.)
Codename "Lightning Flamberge"

- A battleship with a shape that resembles a large saw fan. It's replete with laser weapons so it's been codenamed "Blade of Light" (this is written in Japanese as opposed to the title.)

- This battleship is for use in space battle only. It has high attack power in space because its lasers are unimpeded by atmosphere. (I'm guessing this will a second stage boss.)

Codename "Mirage Castle"
A battleship that resembles a balloonfish.
(coming soon!)
Last edited by UnscathedFlyingObject on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Damn, only 4 stages? Hopefully there's tons of branching paths.
guigui

Post by guigui »

The official site has been updated :

http://www.taito.co.jp/csm/dariusburst/

I see 5 stages in it, with branching paths as usual.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Since the update, the site mentions that the game will be available both as a UMD and a PSN download. I guess that raises the chances of a speedy Western release somewhat!
kozo

Post by kozo »

Burst Mode sounds awesome. This is my most anticipated title now. ;)
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Estebang wrote:Damn, only 4 stages? Hopefully there's tons of branching paths.
It'd be nice if the 11 zones have mid-stage checkpoints ala G.Darius (go up or down). Still, this won't be another Darius R- especially when Taito has control over this one. PCCW and Rideon pretty much struck out on their own.

This'll be a day one import for me - I'm anticipating this more than Metal Slug XX.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I'm anticipating this more than Metal Slug XX
that's not hard to do..... :shock:
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Say, was it always like this:

I don't remember other Daiuses (Darii?) having a set difficulty curve on zones; felt always pretty random to me.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

It's supposed to be like that, but like you said, it doesn't always work out that way. It could be bad balancing, it could be mixup, but I'm glad it's not that simple in practice. It's pretty cool to meet Titanic Lancer and say WTF I'm not going there next time. :shock:

Might as well mention, Darius Gaiden was opposite, and up is harder.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/