Joystick over D-Pad?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dein_TSC

Joystick over D-Pad?

Post by Dein_TSC »

To begin with, I'm not particularily any good. I just want to up my game some. I'm excited about the possibility of getting to play ESPGaluda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari on 360, but the d-pad on the 360 controller is horrendeous. Are the sticks getting released for 360 worth the money? I heard they're different than the typical fight sticks, is this true?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Joystick over D-Pad?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Here's another thread related to the Hori Real Arcade Pro for the XBox 360 console: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24297

You might want to check out the japanvideogames.com site as they have various arcade sticks for the PS3 and 360 as well. Here's a link to what 360 arcade sticks they have in stock: http://www.japanvideogames.com/Xbox-360 ... s/1759.htm

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
chempop

Post by chempop »

Naturally I do better with a good pad, but it is probably just because it is what I'm used to. I can tell you what though, a bad stick is going to really hinder your ability, where a good stick can really work wonders. Having the stick right in front of the TV is your best option, as if it was a cab while sitting inches from the screen. Even sitting a few feet back can make things more difficult. Oh also, Don't feel like you need to spend $150+ on a HRAP, there are some good sticks for a lot less, I just got a Mayflash as I mentioned in another topic and I'm extremely happy with it.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Long term - the comfort, satisfaction and pure practicality of a stick will win you over. Get a sanwa/seimitsu stick and you won't regret it ... it may add up to a bit of a price but with say a ps2 one you can pretty much use that fine with any console/pc these days ...

Be warned of initial frustration, don't get a bad stick, get a medium one if you have to with the view of modding it when you develop a sanwa/seimitsu preference, or straight up get a good stick and enjoy :)

Whilst I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none when it comes to playing games I feel safe saying apart from a decent screen, and a good chair, a good joystick is just about the best thing you can get imho.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Or just get a 360 controller with a better d-pad if pads are your thing. The Hori Pad is pretty good, and then there's the Street Fighter IV FightPad. There are also mods to make the 360 controller pad a bit better. Or you can get an adapter to play 360 games with a PS2 pad.

It's not what type of controller you have that's important, but how comfortable with it you are. Some of the best players on this forum use pads or even keyboards. It's just a matter of what you like and what you're used to.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos