Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st post)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
viletim

Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st post)

Post by viletim »

Update 4/1/2011

Version 2.0 is ready now.

This time the price is AU$115 + postage, that gets you what is pictured above. There's more information on the website.

http://etim.net.au/scart2arcV20

^^^ Address corrected!

The guide is preliminary, I'll need a few more days to finish it of but I didn't want to delay the release just for this. Eventually, I'd like it to look like a proper website with background wallpaper, online ordering, etc

Until then, the best way to order is to send me an email containing you name, address, and preferred payment method to:

orders [at] etim.net.au

You may also send me and email to my other address, or a message via this forum, but first method is the most convenient for me.

Postage (shipping) rates are:

Australia - AU$8
New Zealand - AU$13
Asia/Pacific - AU$16
North America/Middle East - AU$18
South America/Europe - AU$22

Payment methods avaiable to people outside Australia:
Paypal, Moneybookers, Paymate

Payment methods available to those in Australia:
Bank deposit (internet banking or at a local branch), Money Order, C.O.D., etc

That's it I think... I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 7/5/2010.

Sold out.

Update 13/1/2010.

SCART to JAMMA Adapters available now!

International payment methods accepted:
paypal.com
paymate.com
moneybookers.com

All usual local (Australian) payment methods accepted.

Operating instructions are available at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stinkyfist ... rt2arc.htm
I suggest giving it a read before placing an order.

The price is AU$100 for Aussies, AU$115 for Internationals.

To order send me an email which contains:
Your name, address, and how you'd like to pay.
The address is...
eviltim (at) optusnet (dot) com (dot) au

You can order via a forum PM if you insist, but email is much easier for me to keep organised.

Update end.

A few years ago I put up a page with a some video amplifier circuits for arcade monitors. A lot of arcade monitors, especially older ones aren't well suited to display the video signal generated by a game console or computer (MAME, ArcadeVGA, etc), hence the need for an amplifier. I've received lots of feed back since then and many people have successfully built my 'Direct Coupled Video Amplifier' for MAME cabinets and the like.

The last video amp design on the pages specifically for game consoles. Unfortunately it's quite complex, and I fear the mere sight of it leads most people to abandon the idea of arcade monitor console gaming altogether.

Every now and then I get requests to make this circuit, I'll call it and adapter, available to buy. And recently, after one such recent request, I've considered entertaining the idea.

Simply put, if you've ever wired up your favourite game console (be it a Sega Master System or PS2) to an arcade monitor and found the contrast control doesn't go up far enough or that the picture brightness varies with the image on screen then you could probably do with a video amp. I've revised my original design and it now features:

SCART socket for RGB video input (maybe a Jap 21 RGB config too???).
Pair of RCA sockets for line level audio output.
Contrast control.
Composite Sync as well as H. & V. Sync output.
Simplified power supply - 12V DC only.

Suitable for connecting any game console equipped with an RGB SCART cable to any standard resolution arcade monitor.

Now to the point of this post...
Is anybody interested in this widget?
Any ideas/suggestions on how to improve it before I start rigorous testing and, perhaps, small scale production?
Last edited by viletim on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
emphatic

Re: Console --> Arcade monitor adapter

Post by emphatic »

Can you show us a picture of what this looks like? It would be it would be possible to get D-Sub out (as some monitors have this option for inputs) from the converter, and that would also fit a J-Pac.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
viletim

Post by viletim »

I don't have anything to show at the moment - I haven't finalised the PCB layout. If you can a imagine a small square PCB with a SCART socket in the middle a couple of RCA jacks above it, and a contrast control below you won't be far off.

I still haven't decided what type of connector to use for the output. I think a 9 pin D-Sub would be the most useful. That way a chopped off joystick cable or RS232 cable could be used to attach it to a JAMMA fingerboard or the cabinet's general wiring. Perhaps screw terminals could be used too...

The HD15 (VGA) socket is reserved for 0.7Vpp 75 ohm video signals so I'm sure any monitor with this connector wouldn't require a video amp. And I can't thing why anybody would want to connect this to a J-Pac (it contains its own video amplifier, though one unsuitable for most game consoles).
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds interesting.

For myself, the best output would be a jamma male connector. Especially if the PCB is going to support audio as well. I think you would make quite a few $$$$$ if you made a few of those.

>SCART>JAMMA
>line audio level>amplify>JAMMA

Nobody has manufactured this yet, although some have done it on a 1 off. Alot of us are not in the position to do it because we don't have the necessary know how. If you could do that model, it would make a lot of people here happy.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
s8n

Post by s8n »

the JPAC is a great idea but performs poorly i am sending almost everything back to Andy and getting my money back i think people should boycott him , PS2 video display is way off (see pic) Dreamcast is sweet but the controls turn on and off repeatedly which i have read many have the same problem.

neorichieb1971 your idea of a male Jamma connector is brilliant , but onboard the PCB will need screw in Terminals for hacked PS2 or Dreamcast Pads etc.

what viletim is suggesting is he will design a Console to Arcade Monitor PCB and if he gets enough interest he will sell them , he needs 50 people to make it worth while.

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Due to the complexity of controllers, I would just use hacked pads.

I know the AWSD has a huge gap to run a loom from underneath. I think the Astro cities are air tight under the CP but I would have to look again. If this guy can handle video and audio, im set for one. Without audio i'm kinda 50/50 because again, I have to use external speakers. It shouldn't be too hard. Use one 12V for the video and one for the audio.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i think screw terminals for the hacked pads is a great idea ! i'd much rather both the pads and video going through the jamma harness so it's just plug and play..obviously the extra buttons would have to be dealt with separately.
so yes i would deffo want this as i'm fed up of adjusting all my monitor settings when i want to play saturn on the cab!
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

oh yeah built in sound amp is a must too!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yes, built in sound amp could be a deal breaker. When using the Ultimarc kit (video cable+J-Pac) for PS2, some RED objects appear black (the Konami logo in Gradius V for example) and it's really annoying.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If he is going to do that, he might as well just make a proper project box sized piece of kit. With male playstation connectors on it.

What price is this going to be anyway?

Depending on price i'm definitely in for one or maybe 2, if the project has onboard amplification. If it has more than that, i'm still interested with up to 2 units in mind.

The problem with joypad support is that most consoles use the bottom buttons and since that is the kick harness/extra button config that is different in everyones machine its hard to make a standard.
s8n

Post by s8n »

hi team , this project has created quite a stir and alot of interest..........viletim mentioned on http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php? that it will be around 60US , but in my opinion it may jump up a little if the PCB becomes more complex ie more components etc.

If it works i will be in for around 3-4 units i will buy 1 first then the others later.

if you can promote this project the more interest generated will help and motivate viletim along
viletim

Post by viletim »

An audio amp...Now why didn't I think of that? It's an excellent idea.

A board which would plug right into the JAMMA harness would certainly simplify the installation. But what to do with all those control lines? I'm not interested in implementing the controller protocol of any particular console, I'll take versatility over plug'n'play.

I'm thinking about placing a JAMMA card edge socket on the other side of the board. All the non audio/video related lines can pass right through it and people can sort out the controls for themselves.

So now I have in mind a board about 110mm square which plugs into the JAMMA harness. I'll use a straight mount SCART socket which means the SCART plug will poke up into the air a bit, perhaps 80mm. Are there any space constraints in some of the smaller Japanese cabinets?

As s8n has pointed out, I'm aiming for a price roughly equivalent to Ultimarc's J-Pac.

And s8n, I really don't want much publicity when I have little to show. I'm just after suggestions/feature requests at the moment.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The one thing I would concentrate on with the SCART input is the buzzing noise you get from some consoles. I don't think you can control all of it when its coming from the source though.

Are you using JP21 standard or RGB scart from Europe? I already have JP21 for all my consoles however I am quite reluctant to have an adapter that has just that since they are pretty hard to find and I can't butcher a scart to save my life.

I would prefer a choice on that actually.. maybe have one of each.

I think its a good call to leave the controller lines out of it. Firstly, its more important to get this issue of the video and audio out of the way. The controller issue is one that can be tackled by any number of people. What we need right now is your expertise in the world of getting great video and audio.

Since your making exactly what I need... put me down for 2 already. 8)
s8n

Post by s8n »

hiya from Melbourne vile , just got back from the drive through bottle shop. Has Mr Megalo tried the Prototype you made ages ago yet ? im interested in the results ie is the PS2 Video bright and amplified ?. I spose the opposite of what is in my Tekken 5 photo

did you get my PM from this forum ? it has some interesting info that may help you on your quest

And s8n, I really don't want much publicity when I have little to show. I'm just after suggestions/feature requests at the moment.
roger that vile , i didnt mean any harm......alot of people worldwide want something like this ie a working PS2/DC JAMMA Adapter especially PS2 , I spose im a bit excited of what could be.

can you add screw in connectors or have holes like in the screenshots here for the controllers ?

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I suggest you have a JAMMA connector on it, and a couple of DB15 connectors for controller adapters. Also, 4 screw terminals on the PCB for kick harness buttons. You can then sell (optional) adapters that has DB15->CABLE->Screw connectors with a printed button/controller layout for:

P1 START
P1 UP
P1 DOWN
P1 LEFT
P1 RIGHT
P1 FIRE1
P1 FIRE2
P1 FIRE3
P1 FIRE4
P1 FIRE5
P1 FIRE6
SELECT/HOME (put a little dip switch on the main pcb that re-routes this screw terminal to different JAMMA positions (SERVICE, COIN or TEST)

With these adapters available, you can then hack controllers if you like and sell complete solutions, or let people hack themselves.
slap_fight

Post by slap_fight »

hi viletim,

sounds very interesting and a possible solution to a problem many of us have faced yet not managed to resolved in a satisfactory manner.

if i am correct, this item at the top of the picture is one of your old models? i inherited it recently though i have yet to plug it in.

good luck!
viletim

Post by viletim »

slap_fight,

No, my old design looks like this:

And there are very few of them out there, only three if I remember correctly. I've since revised it and it now has a reduced parts count and extra features (the original didn't have a contrast adjustment, for example).

emphatic,

I may include a couple of rows of screw terminals for controls, or at least provision for them. I'm definately not going to worry about kick harnesses and other stuff not normally found on the JAMMA connector.

s8n,

Celebrating already? ;)
Little holes in the PCB are (almost) free so I'll ensure they are used gratuitously.

neorichieb1971,

I'm all too familier with the SCART buzz. Poor quality cables are the major contributer so there is not a lot that can be done on the receiving end. I do have a few ideas on how it may be reduced to a tolerable level... I'll have to do some experementing.

Euro SCART is the defacto standard and the JP21 RGB pin configuration is just an oddity (I wonder how it came about...). The only reason I'm supporting it is to be lead compatible with Japanese equipment such as the XRGB which are popular outside of Japan. I think it's best to simply have two sockets, one of each configuration. Also, I happen to have a big box full of SCART sockets so the more I use up the better. :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I don't care about kick harness, as I never play fighters. As long as buttons 1-4 are supported I'm happy.
s8n

Post by s8n »

i would like the 2 extra push buttons for Street Fighters many will agree with that , and hehehehehe viletim i consider you a genius a master craftsman and have alot of faith in you.

much respect

s8n
viletim

Post by viletim »

s8n wrote:i would like the 2 extra push buttons for Street Fighters many will agree with that
Yes, yes, but surely it's not too difficult to find some method of attaching your gamepad hacks and whatnot to the kick harness without me needing to clutter up my board with all sorts of wierd connectors. I have to draw the line somewhere.
s8n

Post by s8n »

roger that , all is cool ...........yes your right , im sure myself and others could add the 2 extra buttons in some way.

no problemo

s8n
antron

Post by antron »

emphatic wrote:Yes, built in sound amp could be a deal breaker. When using the Ultimarc kit (video cable+J-Pac) for PS2, some RED objects appear black (the Konami logo in Gradius V for example) and it's really annoying.
I hated this too, so I built my own using just 220uF caps and a sync separator. It still does it. So I hooked up my 60G PS3 and tried it. Still near black. This is an issue with GV and PS2/PS3 hardware in low res mode. Looks fine with a PS2 in VGA(sog) mode (using HD xploder).
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

antron wrote:
emphatic wrote:Yes, built in sound amp could be a deal breaker. When using the Ultimarc kit (video cable+J-Pac) for PS2, some RED objects appear black (the Konami logo in Gradius V for example) and it's really annoying.
I hated this too, so I built my own using just 220uF caps and a sync separator. It still does it. So I hooked up my 60G PS3 and tried it. Still near black. This is an issue with GV and PS2/PS3 hardware in low res mode. Looks fine with a PS2 in VGA(sog) mode (using HD xploder).
Thanks for confirming. I guess I'll have to run it through my HD Box Pro -> Emotia -> EGRET II to get a nice picture then. :P
antron

Post by antron »

emphatic wrote:
antron wrote:
Thanks for confirming. I guess I'll have to run it through my HD Box Pro -> Emotia -> EGRET II to get a nice picture then. :P
I would like to know how it looks deinterlaced, being that it's not made for it. Maybe like a retro Gradius V?

It's orgasmic in natively rendered 480p.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

1 x Euro
1 x Jp21

Perfect. Would never have thought it possible you would accomodate that at all... Bless you!

I do have a question though -

I imagine you are building this thing with yourself in mind. Therefore your game plan is to attach controllers otherwise its going to be useless exercise. May I ask very politely what your method of connecting the joystick and buttons is going to be? From the offset it sounds like your using a CRT out of a cabinet and perhaps just using standard console peripherals?

I think if you hit this one off and it goes successfully. You should think about a secondary project for the controllers. A separate box that does DC and PS2 or a modular add on to the device you are currently building. If you keep this forward thinking mentality you will eventually come up with the box that everyone wants.

For the audio, I would recommend RCA/Line outs before the signal gets amplified, or at least a 3.5 jack. That way people can use external amplification. Again, its just a forward thinking feature you might want to consider. I suppose some people might have scarts which have seperate connectors for such a task.

Thanks.
s8n

Post by s8n »

For the audio, I would recommend RCA/Line outs before the signal gets amplified, or at least a 3.5 jack. That way people can use external amplification
i second this its a great concept , my Astro City has a Audio Amp in it already and would like to use that for audio amplification

where is Mr-Megalo ? thought he'd thrive on this thread i might PM him over at nfg.forums
ckong

Post by ckong »

this project sounds very promising and you can count me in for 2 of them.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Sorry for being late to this thread. I have the Ultimarc PS2 RGB amp cable as pictured at the top of slap_fights post. Are you saying this is defective? I haven't had a chance to try hooking it up to my woodie cab (which has molex inputs) but may now want to give it a try.

To be honest, I've been running consoles in my cabs for years without a video amp, just a sync seperator and 220uf caps like Antron, and haven't had any major problems, other than needing to tweak the colors and brightness. So is the problem here that you guys just don't like tweaking the monitor controls each time to swap between PCB and console?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Dave_K. wrote:So is the problem here that you guys just don't like tweaking the monitor controls each time to swap between PCB and console?
The problem is that some colors are wrong. Run Gradius V and the Konami logo has black background instead of the expected red one.
antron

Post by antron »

Dave_K. wrote:I have the Ultimarc PS2 RGB amp cable as pictured at the top of slap_fights post. Are you saying this is defective?
it doesn't have the 220uF caps, so some monitors will never give an acceptable picture. the one I had didn't have an amp though (it was expected to be in the JPAC, but i had an older non-amp JPAC)

there is another long tread on this issue. someone tried adding the amp and it did no good. then he bypassed the colors through caps and got an acceptable picture. (but with your screew terminal style one you can easily add the caps)