Nanao MS9 29S assistance needed

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Matvei
Banned User

Nanao MS9 29S assistance needed

Post by Matvei »

Hi, I am new to these forums but I really need some help with my Nanao monitor!

Anyway, keep in mind my cab/monitor are both ten years old but here goes:

First: I have some cut off on the right side of the screen. See pictures

How do you recalibrate the screen to fix that? I know you can. Just for reference my board is a ms9 29s.

Secondly, I have some problems with distortion while playing the game. It's not my cab, but see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2CJaF9m6s
Look at the bottom of the screen, especially the red line, life gauge, and below the "enemy" character.
You will see what I mean. I have the same effect on my cab and was wondering if it is fixable.

Lastly, my monitor seems a bit flickery. Especially text just kinda jitters, seems jumpy. I can't get it on video, but I was wondering if that was normal.
Dave_K.

Re: Nanao MS9 29S assistance needed

Post by Dave_K. »

Welcome to the forum zorahk. Analog 15khz arcade monitors, are not like digital PC monitors, in that they almost never have perfect geometry. So edges may not always be straight. Use the remote adjustment board on the monitor to make horizontal and vertical size/placement adjustments so the picture is just past the edge of the screen. (see pages 16 to 20 in this manual for example) This is what all arcade operators do to hide these minor flaws (its also what analog TV makers do!).

Trying to get perfect geometry out of an arcade monitor is an art unto itself, and commonly leads to frustration. There are a few other adjustment pots on the chassis, as well as convergence rings, and magnets taped to the back of the tube which have all been installed at the factory to give you the best picture possible. Mess with these at your own risk.

Regarding the flickering text, trying adjusting the vertical hold knob, which dials in the refresh rate a bit better for your game.
Matvei
Banned User

Post by Matvei »

Thanks for your help, and especially the english version of the monitor adjustment diagrams.

I will try later to adjust the horiz/vert sizing and placement and see if I can hide the imperfections.
I'll report back as to whether I was successful or not but I am assuming it shouldn't be *too* hard to adjust it.
kernow

Post by kernow »

I have the same issue but in the top left corner. its a fruitless task messing around with the things to try get them perfect, especially if you change the games often and then have to do it again.

I just try re-tuning my OCD so I don't think about it, its hard but after hours and hours of tweaking I've actually got my monitors not too bad. Dave_K gives good advice, I only wish more pcb's had more room for overscan because quite often the cave boards have a score right on the edge of the screen and it gives you little to no room for adjusting the sides out. :(