Revisiting Shienryu Explosion

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cthulhu

Revisiting Shienryu Explosion

Post by Cthulhu »

I saw the PS2 Double Shienryu pack yesterday for a really low price (not that it's full over price is all that high anyway) and despite the fact that I had heard nothing but bad and mediocre reviews of it, I picked it up.

It's way better than I was expecting. Yes, it's easy, but I could care less about that (or just turn the difficulty to hard). It looks quite good (the enemies are a little standard in design, however)), the control is precise, and the score system is fairly detailed as well. The bosses battles are fun, and the three different ships are all unique. I don't think this game deserves the poor reputation it got at all.
Kiken

Re: Revisiting Shienryu Explosion

Post by Kiken »

Cthulhu wrote:I saw the PS2 Double Shienryu pack yesterday for a really low price (not that it's full over price is all that high anyway) and despite the fact that I had heard nothing but bad and mediocre reviews of it, I picked it up.

It's way better than I was expecting. Yes, it's easy, but I could care less about that (or just turn the difficulty to hard). It looks quite good (the enemies are a little standard in design, however)), the control is precise, and the score system is fairly detailed as well. The bosses battles are fun, and the three different ships are all unique. I don't think this game deserves the poor reputation it got at all.
It certainly is a fun game. I had no qualms with having spent $25 on it back when it came out. Not very complex, but a solid game and good for 2-player co-op. It's just not that difficult and isn't graphically stunning.. although, the remixed tunes aren't bad and I like the ship/character selection.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

First a thread about how Giga Wing Generations isn't so bad; now one on Double Shienryu. The problem is: I believe that I would enjoy both of these games quite a lot, and so now there are just too many games, too little time, and too little money. :(
dave4shmups

Re: Revisiting Shienryu Explosion

Post by dave4shmups »

Kiken wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:I saw the PS2 Double Shienryu pack yesterday for a really low price (not that it's full over price is all that high anyway) and despite the fact that I had heard nothing but bad and mediocre reviews of it, I picked it up.

It certainly is a fun game. I had no qualms with having spent $25 on it back when it came out. Not very complex, but a solid game and good for 2-player co-op. It's just not that difficult and isn't graphically stunning.. although, the remixed tunes aren't bad and I like the ship/character selection.
It is indeed fun to play! Especially if you're into old-school style shmups; it's a very nice break from bullet hell games for your import PS2. Plus it's got all kinds of score multipliers if you're a high-score junkie like me! :wink:
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

professor ganson wrote:First a thread about how Giga Wing Generations isn't so bad; now one on Double Shienryu. The problem is: I believe that I would enjoy both of these games quite a lot, and so now there are just too many games, too little time, and too little money. :(
GWG is a full price game, but Double Shienryu was a 2000 yen (~$20 US) retail price, so you'll be able to find it cheap for a long time to come. :D
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

I listed this one in the guilty pleasures thread a while back. Very much worth the $20-$30 it goes for and you get a pretty spot-on Sheinryu to go along with it.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

The only things that bug me about Explosion are pretty trivial... 1) The character you choose as your pilot changes nothing except the color of your gun; 2) one of the ships seems to have no graphics for it's bomb... you just hit the button, see your character's face, and stuff dissapears. Hrm.

Other than that, it's excellent. :D