RQ: Thunder Force V Boss help 3-4

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
boom

RQ: Thunder Force V Boss help 3-4

Post by boom »

Any hints for beating bosses on levels 3 and 4? Boss 3 is called A3. Boss 4 is the one that transforms into a robot and wields the sword. Any hints on beating levels 3-4 also appreciated. The mid-level bosses on level 3 are giving me trouble (especially the huge motorcycle thing that shows up twice in the level).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Pretty much the same boss strategy applies for almost everything in TFV: 1) Do NOT lose the Free Range weapon. 2) Find a temporary safe spot, move in close, and activate the Free Range's over weapon. Most battles (at least most of the earlier ones) will be over in seconds. If you happen to not have the Free Range at most of the bosses, prepare for pain...

As for the bikes on 3, let them pass over or under you when they first appear, and blast them with the back shot's over weapon. That usually gets them fairly quick...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Those are exactly the bosses that gave me trouble when I started playing TFV in the first place.

The huge motorcycles are most easily dealt with if you use the Hunter weapon. Use the Hunter overweapon when it passes under or above you for the first time and then a second time when the cycle thing comes back (if necessary).

For Armamament Armed Arm (A³), the FreeRange weapon is indeed a must. For its first form, place yourself at the bottom left side of the screen, just in front of (or even slightly between) its front legs. This is a safe spot where its shots won't hit you. Aim at the core and use the FreeRange overweapon.

For its second form, place yourself above A³, on the right side, and aim downwards. Using the overweapon is not necessary, but you can do it if you want.

For its third form, always stay in front of it and a little below. If you're positioned correctly, the claws will miss you. Use the FreeRange overweapon until A³ gives up. This should happen quite quickly.

For Guardians Knight (st 4 boss), you will simply have to learn his patterns. Once you got them down, he won't give you any more trouble. I usually use Hunter for most of the fight.

At the beginning, when he just zips across the screen, I use the Hunter overweapon everytime he comes in sight. Then, when he's behind me and I'm on the right side of the screen and he's on the left, I use the rear shot. After that I just switch back to Hunter.

When the laser grid builds up, place yourself in the hole at the bottom of the screen, left of the middle. If you picked the right place, the sword attack will miss you. Same goes for all other sword attacks (you will learn to tell when one is coming): Place yourself at Guardians Knight's feet a little in front of him and he'll miss you.

You'll have to learn to tell wehen a huge laser beam attack is on its way and then move out of the way. Guardian's Knight will do a last big laser attack when he dies, so move to the upper or lower edge of the screen then.

I think, in general, the importance of FreeRange is exaggerated a lot. The game definitely doesn't rely as heavily on it as some people tend to think. In fact, the weapons are nicely balanced and every single one can be used effectively at at least one point in the game. (Except for Wave, which is stunningly useless.)

I found that mixing the different weapons is much more effective than just using FreeRange throughout the whole game. Especially Hunter can be very useful, because its overweapon rivals that of FreeRange in power, but you don't have to worry about aiming properly. I found it much better to tackle some of the bosses (including the last one) with Hunter instead of FreeRange.

Oh yes, and if you're really stuck, watch Kiken's TFV replays. You may want to use different strategies (I know I did), but they can be a great inspiration.
boom

Post by boom »

As I've been playing some more, the free range weapon has been useful on the bosses and mid-bosses, so that helps. I only use it here. Where do I find Kiken's TFV replay videos? For the overweapon, is that engaged by not firing for a few seconds, and then firing again?

I love the artwork and graphics on stage 6...very creative!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

No, the overweapon is mapped to a single button. Press it to activate the overweapon. I can't recall what button it is offhand, so I guess it would be good idea if you go to your options screen and check to which button it is mapped. Note that you can only use the overweapon when you have at least one craw device circling your ship. The overweapon draws energy from the craws. Beware, if the craws are in their red small state, they can be destroyed by enemies.

I can't seem to find Kiken's site atm, so I suggest you search for his profile in the memberlist and click the "www"-button.
ThunderForce 222

Post by ThunderForce 222 »

Well these are the most safest Strats that is true, but not at all the correct ways to do them. First off A3--Weapon-Free-Range-----make sure you're ship speed is at 50%--Pre-Aim the Free-Range straight up. To give perfect placement, Hold it up and move to you're score and position you're ship under you're score so only a thin line of the free range is pointing at a number. Point it at the hundred-millions number and move straight down and stop about and inch and a half from the bottom of you're TV screen. As soon as A3 drops use the Over weapon Range and follow the target marker as it moves. Get ready because it only takes a few seconds for the first form to die. As soon as it explodes hit you're speed twicw , bringing it to 100% let go of you're free range hold and move backwards, all this needs to be done in one motion. 2nd form--As soon as you clear the falling 2nd form move you're ship up-forward and position you're free range at an 45% angle down and speed down to 50% again all in one motion. The start positioning you're ship in between the turret and base. It'll explode real fast again. Form 3--Be at 50% speed and position free range straight in front. Aquire the CRAW that comes behind the 3rd form at the top right..Nose up on his target marker..you may take a hit you may not but you' should have a shield by this point. Hill go down in a matter of seconds. This Strat is how to X16 all 3 forms. It takes practice though and presice movement.

GUARDIAN'S KNIGHT---Position you're ship about an inch away from bottom center of you're screen and have the Hunter Super ready to go. As soon as he comes into the foreground fly straight up and use the Hunter Special on his top shoulder timed unit--BAM-X16...he'll come behind--use the Free range Super on that piece. Next hill Transforn and spray bullets. Be positioned below his leg with the Free range ready to hit that Timed piece--NOTE you can only hit the timed piece AFTER he has shot--it's a glitch--you can 13X. Speed to 50% with Hunter Super ready. Use small movements to avoid his spray shot--get in the center-left of the Pentagram and fire Hunter Special. As soon as he starts to swing his Saber move forward to the center right of the Pentagram while firing. He'll miss. Next use Free Range in back to hit him..make sure you're close to do the most damage to get him out of there quickly. Finally, aim Free Range in front and Range "1" him. He'll die in about 3-4 seconds for a X15..it'doesn't go higher. Avoid his final blast and Voila'.....
"AREA GUARD NAME, GUARDIANS KNIGHT--SUB-NAME--"FOR WHOM IS THE SWORD DRAWN?!"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Should you find yourself without Free Range, Hunter over weapon can also do the job, but it's not as powerful. Just let your Craws recharge.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.