ps3 storage capacity question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jonny5

ps3 storage capacity question

Post by jonny5 »

i have an 80 gig PS3....

i have 2 games installed (around 5 gigs) and about 40 gigs of movies on it.....

i went to transfer another movie on last night and its saying the HDD is full :?

i should have at least another 20-30 gigs or so available.....what gives?
antron

Re: ps3 storage capacity question

Post by antron »

sometimes 10G is partitioned for OtherOS. Also fragmentation takes it's toll.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If you go under system settings > System information (2nd from bottom) it tells you your HDD utilization there.

My 320GB HDD only gives 298GB of actual usable storage. I think with my 60GB machine I have about 54GB usable.

You can find the stats in that screen though. Let us know what it says.

Mine currently says - Free space 104GB/298GB.

You might as well just upgrade your HDD. I got this one -

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516598/W ... oduct.html
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

thanks for the info richie :D

i will check into that when i get home.....and i might end up taking your advice and getting a larger drive.....mind you i could accomplish the same with an external drive so we shall see
DAY

Post by DAY »

This is the old story of bits and bytes. 1024 megabytes makes a gigabyte, but when talking about storagesizes people always refer to 1000 megabytes as a gigabyte, whilst operating systems still need the extra 24 megabytes to count is as gigabyte.

and as antron already said, the operating system also takes up some room
Keep on dreaming
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

DAY wrote:This is the old story of bits and bytes. 1024 megabytes makes a gigabyte, but when talking about storagesizes people always refer to 1000 megabytes as a gigabyte, whilst operating systems still need the extra 24 megabytes to count is as gigabyte.
right :? ..... thanx for that
DAY

Post by DAY »

eg. your 80 gigabyes Hdd of your Ps3 is 80 thousend megabytes large. But computers/OS still need the extra 24 megabytes to count it as a gigabyte. So in this case you must divide your 80 thousend megabytes by 1024 (80000/1024) = 78.125. This is basicly what the max capacity is of your ps3 harddisk.

This is the old story of harddisk manufactures 'tricking' people with saying it is eg. a 80 gigabye Hdd, but is is basicly a 78 gigabyte Hdd.
Keep on dreaming
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On my 1st gen 60GB USA region PS3 console, it says that 55GB are useable whereas the remaining 5GB are allocated for other use. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

DAY wrote:eg. your 80 gigabyes Hdd of your Ps3 is 80 thousend megabytes large. But computers/OS still need the extra 24 megabytes to count it as a gigabyte. So in this case you must divide your 80 thousend megabytes by 1024 (80000/1024) = 78.125. This is basicly what the max capacity is of your ps3 harddisk.

This is the old story of harddisk manufactures 'tricking' people with saying it is eg. a 80 gigabye Hdd, but is is basicly a 78 gigabyte Hdd.
ok well my question was why is it saying its full with less than 50 gigs of data on it?

i understand what you are saying and already know that to be the case....but it still doesnt answer my question
DAY

Post by DAY »

Ok, I didn;t knew you know, but now I do :wink: :)

But my quess then is that your harddisk is just full!

May I ask how you know the software etc you installend on the ps3 is 50 GB? I'm only guessing now, but if you transfered it from your PC with NTFS partitioning and transferring it to the ps3's partitioning system, maybe also more space is needed?

You could try to format and re-install everything, but don't forget to save your savegames! Sometimes Operating systems are remembering bits you installed earlier on and then give false properties in system settings.

Good luck and if I'm totally wrong, I hope someone else knows and can tell me also.
Keep on dreaming
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i know how much is on the disc because i added it up.....

i only have 2 games installed for under 5 gigs and i have a bunch of 4gig movie files on it.....i added it all up and its all under 50 gigs.....

i highly doubt that the OS for the PS3 is 25+ gigs, so where is the rest of the space?

i forgot to do what richie suggested and check under system settings but i will do that as soon as i get home this evening
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The OS is not on the HDD, its on a Eprom, pre F/W 2.8 the OS on the PS3 was only 74mb anyway. You can take your whole HDD out of the system and it will still boot up.

Your best bet since your using your system as MM device is just to buy a bigger HDD. Or if you have necessary components, just media stream stuff from your PC to your PS3.

All you need is -

PMS (PS3 media server) - On your PC
A router
And of course a PC

It takes 15 minutes to set up and you'll never have to worry about disc space again.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i already grabbed and installed ps3 media server on your recommendation richie, but my issue is my PS3 is running wifi and its on top of my PC(also wireless)and my router is about 60 ft away.....so i get a very slow connection with the server software.....i cant even really use it to transfer stuff as its just too slow.....streaming stuff is pointless as it lags badly.....

not sure if you have any config advice.....i read up on the website and they recommend hard wiring the PS3 but thats not an option, nor is hardwiring my PC...both involve running hellish amounts of cat5(about 80ft each) and going through the walls of 4 closets

problem is my apartment is very long.....the router is at the back and the living room/media area is the other end.....the apartment is like 60+ feet end to end
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am not sure of your living conditions. I had my ISP install my cable into my bedroom where the modem resides which is central to the house. I get a good wifi signal anywhere in the house except the garage I think. Maybe you need to think about repositioning your router because 60ft each way seems quite out of the way, especially since your PC and your PS3 are next to each other. What is the purpose of having your router so far away? Does it suit some other purpose? Even if you extended the cable from the modem to the router, thats going to allow some leverage.

On my setup the PS3 is wired and my laptop is not. But considering my laptop can be moved around the wifi issue is less of an issue. I only copy stuff from PC to PS3. I never media stream for viewing/listening purposes. Although MP3's are usually lag free.

Using the COPY on PS3 from a media server file actually tells you alot about the speed of the transfer rate. Since if it takes longer to copy than it would actually take to listen/view the file, then of course it will lag.

My friend is wired throughout, using a set up which is ideal for you actually. He experiences zero lag even on HD material. Its just lightning quick. However, its maybe 10 feet, not 60. Your current living conditions are the problem your faced with, a larger HDD might be your better option.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

ya...i think you may be right

the reason the router is where it is is because that is where the cable comes into the apartment....and we cannot extend or split that or it will affect our signal.....

i had a wireless g router when we moved in but it didnt have a strong enough signal to reach the opposite end of the apartment....its funny too cuz its one big open space.....but ya, couldnt get hardly a bar with the wireless g card in my PC or any of the laptops.....

sooooo...i went out and got a wireless n router and wireless n card for my PC and now im good....get a good signal with everything......i experience no lag on the PC even tho the software says im only getting around 70% most of the time.....annoying to cuz i can see my neighbours wifi and i always have his at 100% :x

works fine with the PS3 too.....

i think the issue im having with the server software is its bouncing the signal from my PC to 60ft away to the router and then 60 ft back to the PS3, even tho the PS3 is on top of the PC :lol:

i could just run some really long cables, but the wall i would have to run it along has all the closet and kitchen spaces.....so i would have to go through a few walls and move my fridge, washer/dryer, stove......major pain in the ass :?

im not to worried....my current setup has me covered on all fronts....its just fun to fiddle sometmies 8)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It is a shame that wireless has such restrictions. For me personally, it needs to evolve into a slightly more versatile beast.

I would imagine living in an apartment, you have electrical interference surrounding you. 60 ft is quite a distance in those conditions.

Is your apartment the one I saw with the arcade cabinets? Blimey, thinking about it thats really really long. I don't even know of anyone that lives in a place that has a 60 ft of space. In England we reserve that for Royalty.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i was leaning against the back wall when i took this pic

for perspective...where i am standing is about 10ft from the end of the bed

its very long....the apartment is around 950sq.ft-ish....my g/f would know :lol:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

ok...this is weird now.....checked the system info and it says there is like 3440mb remaining out of 72 gigs?

unless there are like 25 gigs of hidden shit somewhere that doesnt add up :?

stupid sony :x
D

Post by D »

jonny5 wrote:ok...this is weird now.....checked the system info and it says there is like 3440mb remaining out of 72 gigs?
hardware install of certain games?
Gran Turismo for example?
Check under games data or something and check information to see how much is just there
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

D wrote:
jonny5 wrote:ok...this is weird now.....checked the system info and it says there is like 3440mb remaining out of 72 gigs?
Check under games data or something and check information to see how much is just there
read my other posts d :roll:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Did you buy the system new?

As previously speculated, the OTHER OS partition could be taking up a chunk. Depends on how you formatted it.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Did you buy the system new?

As previously speculated, the OTHER OS partition could be taking up a chunk. Depends on how you formatted it.
i bought it new and iirc i just did what the PS3 prompted me to do on initial setup(whatever that was :lol: )

i noticed the system column had a heading for otherOS....is this something i have to remove or something to free up more drive space?
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

If you didn't specifically set up an Other OS partition, then there shouldn't be one. Other OS mode itself is a feature of the PS3 OS and doesn't actually require the partition.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The only thing I can suggest is that you do an "information" (Triangle) on every video file to make sure it is actually as big as you think. Or does it tell you on the front page I can't remember :oops:

Best bet it to take everything off, then re copy everything back that you need.

Maybe you don't remember putting 10000 MP3's on your PS3?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

thats just it tho.....other than the couple of games i have installed i havent put ANYTHING on it up until 2-3 weeks ago when i started grabbing these AVC 1080rips for it.....and they are all 4 gigs in size....and you can see the file size if you click triangle on the title and select display info

i would take everything off and start fresh but sadly i dont have any empty drives around and none that have enough free space to backup 40-50 gigs of stuff on

tbh, i will probably just grab a 1tb drive and a USB housing and use that for movies on the PS3....same shit basically
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You could use a NAS drive too. If you get one that is UPNP with twonkymedia the PS3 will see it.
D

Post by D »

jonny5 wrote:
D wrote:
read my other posts d :roll:
yeah
You installed HOME?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

nope