RQ: Gun & Frontier

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
stratos

RQ: Gun & Frontier

Post by stratos »

As I said in the thread on "shmup chat", I've discovered this old gem in an article about autofire by Randorama, in wich he stated that this game was a great source of inspiration for my current favourite shmup, Battle Garegga.

So I played it and discovered that it was really worth playing (from my point of view) and also interesting for the catchy atmosphere.

But I'm also curious about the technical characteristics of the game, like weapon usage, sources of scoring, versions, specific stage tips and all you know about the game, technically speaking.

For general discussion, check my thread in "shmup chat".

P.s.: let's keep Garegga strategy thread alive!!! :)
BulletMagnet

Re: RQ: Gun & Frontier

Post by BulletMagnet »

stratos wrote:P.s.: let's keep Garegga strategy thread alive!!! :)
Believe me, that thing is so ludicrously complicated and elusive that the ST thread for it will NEVER die. ;)

As for the game in question, I know next to nothing, so I'm out. :mrgreen:
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I don't think there is anything too complicated -- though I haven't played it in over a year.

The biggest score 'trick' is to hoard bombs and extra lives. At the end of the game all the extra lives are worth big points and in-game the extra bombs are worth points. When we used to have a Gun Frontier high score list, the big difference between my score and the other fellow who bothered posting came down to how many lives were in stock at the end of the game.

Oh and as I've said before, this game is absurdly easy if you have the saturn port. The c button fires an ultra-fast rapid fire that isn't useful unless you are point-blanking. And of course, that's just what you do with it. Most of the bosses can be absolutely shredded by the c button rapid fire (some before they even have a chance to fire back!), so this is a really easy way through the game (much easier than doing it in mame); though you may not feel that great about yourself afterwards!
CIT

Post by CIT »

MUL wrote a whole strategy guide on his favorite shooter:

http://www.neuronex.net/molclock/gunfro ... unfro.html

I have no intention of translating this, but maybe you can glean something after running it through a translator.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

CIT wrote:MUL wrote a whole strategy guide on his favorite shooter:

http://www.neuronex.net/molclock/gunfro ... unfro.html

I have no intention of translating this, but maybe you can glean something after running it through a translator.
Looks like that link is dead, shame
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

lgb

Post by lgb »

DEL

Post by DEL »

Thanks lgb and of course Twiddle for that checkpoint trick. I'll give it a go.