CPS2 Fan & Removing B Boards

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ganelon

CPS2 Fan & Removing B Boards

Post by Ganelon »

If the fan suddenly stops working for good on a CPS2 A board during play, what are the likely culprits? A solder point that came loose? A blown circuit?

Also, I have a remarkably difficult time detaching the A and B boards on the unit I have. I can see no attachments on the sides; just 2 rectangular holes. Do I just try to pry the B board up using the inadequately small side handles or is there something else I'm missing?
IronGiant

Re: CPS2 Fan & Removing B Boards

Post by IronGiant »

Ganelon wrote:If the fan suddenly stops working for good on a CPS2 A board during play, what are the likely culprits? A solder point that came loose? A blown circuit?
Probably the fan has simply died. There's a thread here somewhere about what to get and where to get one.
Also, I have a remarkably difficult time detaching the A and B boards on the unit I have. I can see no attachments on the sides; just 2 rectangular holes. Do I just try to pry the B board up using the inadequately small side handles or is there something else I'm missing?
They can be pretty stiff - I assume that you've removed the two black retaining clips, one on each side? If so it's just a matter of gripping hard and pulling firmly - don't apply too much force though or it might suddenly separate and one (or both halves) will go flying!
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
dpful

Post by dpful »

Yeah, probably broken fan, but could be a solder crack where the fan wires connect to the board.

I seperate them with finger tips prying apart the FRONT of the boards, where it's a little loose. They snap apart pretty easy from there.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, thanks, I got it out from the front as well. What a pain.

And it seems that for the price of the torx bit and new fan, I may as well just get another cheap A board...
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I had this happen on two of my boards as well, I had to replace the fans. As a suggestion, getting the torx bit would be necessary anyway unless your B boards are already phoenixed or without screws, otherwise you'd need to change the battery ASAP anyway.

The fan should be cheap enough though.