Candy cabinet x2 on one stepdown?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Candy cabinet x2 on one stepdown?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/mw_mw2p300_v ... vertor.htm

I've got one of these, i've also got a US 6 way adapter and was wondering if its safe to use this stepdown powering 2 cabinets at the same time.

My guess = no, but thought i'd ask.. Whats the worst that can happen?

Cheers.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
emphatic

Re: Candy cabinet x2 on one stepdown?

Post by emphatic »

That looks about the same I have for my EGRET II. I also run my Japanese XBox 360 from the same @ approx 150W, not sure what the EGRET II runs on though. But I don't think running two candy cabs on one of those is a very good idea:

"Be careful with TVs. They often give a low wattage in the instructions and when the TV is running this wattage will be correct, but when TVs turn on they surge and this surge can be many times the running wattage. We recommend a converter of at least 500 Watts for use with TVs."

You're trying to run 2 TV's from one of those, basically.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

neorichieb1971 wrote:http://www.beststuff.co.uk/mw_mw2p300_v ... vertor.htm

I've got one of these, i've also got a US 6 way adapter and was wondering if its safe to use this stepdown powering 2 cabinets at the same time.

My guess = no, but thought i'd ask.. Whats the worst that can happen?

Cheers.
The worst that can happen is the stepdown will get warm and if overloaded blow a fuse, I run 2 candy cabs off of one 300 Watt stepdown with no problems.

My candy's are approx 120 Watts each with a game running, also you may be lucky and have a socket on the back of your cab to plug the second cab without needing a 6 way adaptor... both of my cabs have one.
Fight war not wars
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Thanks guys. Using the daisy chaining I succeeded in powering 2 cabinets successfully. Now I just need to make the attract modes of each game silent as its a bit off putting listening to 2 or 3 cabs all running attract modes with audio.

The new astro city's on off switch is inside the cabinet. Rather bad positioning I think. I may sell these astro's eventually and just get a fleet of E2's to go with my AWSD.
cools

Post by cools »

Really, no power switch on the rear ?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Demo sound is a novelty that soon wears off :)
kernow

Post by kernow »

mm tempted to daisy chain one off the other . :think:

I guess with two stepdowns theres not much point though
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Even if there is a switch at the back of the astro city I have 4 cabs in a row. I'd have to take the cabs out one at a time and resit them back against the wall once done. The AWSD has the switch at the bottom of the front, much more accessible. I've basically turned off demo sound on both cabs now, but when I flick the switch both come on. Thats not ideal either. Oh well!

Thanks for the info though guys.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Even if there is a switch at the back of the astro city I have 4 cabs in a row. I'd have to take the cabs out one at a time and resit them back against the wall once done. The AWSD has the switch at the bottom of the front, much more accessible. I've basically turned off demo sound on both cabs now, but when I flick the switch both come on. Thats not ideal either. Oh well!

What games are you running for the demo sound to come back on after power down?
Fight war not wars
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I have a remote control for my power switching needs. I have one power unit for each cabinet, so I just click on a button to power up a cabinet. No need to reach behind or bend over. :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

thegreathopper wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Even if there is a switch at the back of the astro city I have 4 cabs in a row. I'd have to take the cabs out one at a time and resit them back against the wall once done. The AWSD has the switch at the bottom of the front, much more accessible. I've basically turned off demo sound on both cabs now, but when I flick the switch both come on. Thats not ideal either. Oh well!

What games are you running for the demo sound to come back on after power down?
I meant both cabs turn on when I flick the power switch, not that the games come on with demo sound.

What I want is power to both cabinets, but be able to power them independently of each other. With one stepdown, I flick the switch and even though I can only play one game, both cabs come on at the same time. Because the switches for the cabs are internal, it means I have to get the keys out and piss about. With an E2 or AWSD, you can flick the switch from the front of the cabinets. The only way around this is to buy separate stepdowns.
cools

Post by cools »

What I'd do in your situation is get some long Japanese mains leads, and some inline switches. Fit the cables and loop them underneath the cab - mark a point for the switch, pull the cable back out from underneath the cab, cut and fit the switch and feed it back under.

What I'd actually do is have both cabs on at once, but that's just me :)