R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
evil_ash_xero

R-Type Final really sucks

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I used to own this game and was not impressed, so I got rid of it. It's been many a year since I played it and finally got a chance to get a look at it again. I can't believe this game is well received by mainstream critics. The bland design, the slowdown, the lack of enemies in sections...just awful. I've played worse, mind you, but for R-Type, this was awful.
Elixir

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by Elixir »

I've never played it but I can't imagine how awful it is in comparison to the rest of the series; where if you die, you're horribly underpowered and you're forever scraping yourself out of the gutter to get back to what power you're meant to have.

It's a silly design. Raiden DX has it too, but eh, at least your items are scattered which isn't so bad. Gradius severely suffers from this as well. I'd probably play R-Type Dimensions more if you weren't doomed as soon as you die.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
clp

Post by clp »

R-type final is definitely one of the worst in the series fucking dire boring slow piece of shit .
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was weighing up getting the Best reprint, but couldn't justify it with II and Delta in my collection. Also I was worried Stage 3 would make my PS2's GPU overheat and explode.

Some of the preface quotes to each level are very nice, I'll say that much (or that little). FA and FB's are almost haunting.
Rob

Post by Rob »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I can't believe this game is well received by mainstream critics.
What have we learned?
Gmintyfresh

Post by Gmintyfresh »

I don't mind the game, it's fairly average but by no means a bad game. The issue I have with the game is the last boss (piss easy) and the ending sequence - for the last game in such an amazing series it's frankly pathetic. I still enjoy actually playing the game however and there are much worse shooters on the PS2......
kernow

Post by kernow »

Yup, hated it.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I havn't played it in a long time. I just remember that I was having fun, then got to the big spaceship level, the slow-mo turned on, and I couldn't do ANYTHING BUT reach for the power button in utter disbelief.

In the boardroom,
"do you think it's a real problem?"
"well, lots of shmups slow down from time to time."
"...I don't know, it's really bad"
"Well, we don't have the time or the man power to put in a plain black background at this point"
"....You know, I don't think it's too bad. I think shmup fans are use to this kind of thing."
"Yeah, I think it will be OK"

That level is SLOW! It's like, one frame at a time!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

yes :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I've said it before, but I view Final as less of a "real" R-Type and more like a "revue" or "tribute" to the series, kind of like a fan disc - while the game itself isn't great, the loads of background info and references to the rest of the series (and some of the spin-offs) is the real selling point for fans. In any event, the thing can be had for ten bucks these days, so the fact remains that, despite its deficiencies, you could certainly do much worse.
Raizen1984

Post by Raizen1984 »

Yes, R-Type Final does suck. I remember buying it used for $10 at a GameStop, playing about halfway through the second level, and then turning it off. Took it back the next day.

A shmup that's not even worth ten dollars; and a part of the R-Type series... :?:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

C'mon Irem, one more R-Type to sweep away all the bad feelings. You don't have to care that the game had "Final" in the title, it certainly hasn't slowed down Square one bit.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Hardly my favorite shooter on PS2; but 'really sucks' is a bit much. :?

That said, it was one of the first I actually sold (along with Shiki 2, of course.)
XERO

Post by XERO »

it isn't XERO unless it starts with an "X"...
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

I'd reply properly to this thread, but if the best argument that can be made against the game is "it's shit", then I don't think I'll bother.

Well, other than posting this reply, obvs.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Gmintyfresh wrote:it's fairly average but by no means a bad game.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I didn't like it much either...
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Gmintyfresh wrote:The issue I have with the game is the last boss (piss easy) and the ending sequence - for the last game in such an amazing series it's frankly pathetic.
There are three final stages: F-A, F-B and F-C. I think F-B has a harder boss than F-A and is generally more "epic", F-C doesnt have a boss. I don't like the game myself, its far too slow paced for me.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ghegs wrote:C'mon Irem, one more R-Type to sweep away all the bad feelings. You don't have to care that the game had "Final" in the title, it certainly hasn't slowed down Square one bit.
R-Type Zeta: Operation Creamy Nougat.
Jon

Post by Jon »

It pales when compared to Delta and RType III but I don't dislike Final.
clp

Post by clp »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:I'd reply properly to this thread, but if the best argument that can be made against the game is "it's shit", then I don't think I'll bother.

Well, other than posting this reply, obvs.
Why waste your time constructing some pretencious stage by stage analysis of a game that leaves many thinking " this is shit " . sometimes "its shit" is all you need for a game like r type final .
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Topic could have been closed after the topic title imo.
It says all that needs to be said about this game.

They should have given this away as a free bonus with the Dog tags. :P
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
clp

Post by clp »

I tried giving it away free with sales of games so many times an no one wanted it :lol:
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

I didn't especially dislike Final, but it is the only shmup I've ever died in because I got bored and stopped paying attention.
XBL - CountryGolden
PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

Honestly, complaining about R-Type Final being slow, is like saying Pac-Man is lame because the character can't jump.

Now the slowdown on Level 3 is annoying, but it's hardly game ending. The overall slowdown in Odin Sphere was far worse than that one level in Final and yet both are still playable and enjoyable. It seems to me like not that long ago that slowdown was almost seen as a sign that a game was too awesome for the hardware to handle and not a sign of a 'bad' game.

And why is a slow pace bad? I find that I like it because the game *isn't* dependant on speed and twitchy reflexes. About the worst thing I can call the game on is some of the flight time requirements to unlock certain ships is outright ridiculously long. (Any over 30 min, the 120+ ones being stupid long.)

Having a slower pace to the action also gives the player time to charge up some of the more powerful Force cannons (anything over 2 levels takes an long time to build up) and it also makes some levels playable with the weaker ships. (Misty Lady, Stayer, etc.)

Sure, the game could have used a few more 'alternate' levels to really pull the game over the top. But each level is unique enough to not feel like a series of complete retreads. I get more of that 'same ol' feeling from the Gradius or Raiden games than I do from Final.

And I really think the overall mood to the game fits the overall slow pacing quite well and matches the somber, almost funeral dirge music near perfectly. And it's not as if the game isn't challenging either. Playing on R-Typer difficulty is hardly a walk in the park even with all the 'slowness'. (Enemy Bullets move pretty darn fast overall!)

Relatedly, I think that the ship in Raiden III moves far slower than anything in R-Type Final does. And for that game I think it "sucks", because unlike Final it simply doesn't match up to the speed of everything else. Not incidentally, I find the enemies and levels in Raiden III far more bland and boring than anything in Final. Hell, I'll go so far as to say the Bosses in Gradius V are incredibly bland and boring as well compared to Final. Even if the level design in Gradius V is pretty damn good, most of the bosses are such slaves to the "core" design/mechanic that it's pretty much irritating instead of exciting to see/fight them.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BulletMagnet wrote:while the game itself isn't great, the loads of background info and references to the rest of the series
aka fucking it up with invented emo bullshit

A number of series have tried adding superfluous background information, only rarely is it worthwhile (XBox Ninja Gaiden I suppose could be said to count...although their storyline messup came back in the NES days).
Davey

Post by Davey »

clp wrote:pretencious
Not a good word to misspell.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I enjoyed Final for the most part- its slow, sombre, plodding, dark- its rtype all right.
Its not everyone's cup of tea obviously, BUT i went out and got a PS2 to play it and i wasn't disappointed.
I've unlocked about 2/3 of the ships and play it when i'm in the mood.
Its a moody shooter- not an ibara or a ikaruga or a silvergun- you gotta be in the mood for it.
That my 2 cents
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ed Oscuro wrote:aka fucking it up with invented emo bullshit
I dunno, I rather like having the story there in the background, as you can completely ignore it if you'd prefer. If you have absolutely no liking whatsoever for it, of course, it's not going to draw your attention away from the core game to begin with.
BIL

Post by BIL »

My problem with the sombre game -> slow pace argument is, Delta already managed to be atmospherically bleak and a well-paced shooter. Stages 5 and 6 are about as thematically intense as games period get, let alone arcade-action focused ones, but they're also extremely well-developed levels. Hell, Stage 5 doesn't even have any walls, and still manages to feel utterly claustrophobic thanks to great enemy placement and timing.

Final just has bland level design, in many spots. I'm a lover of atmospheric games, but I'm also a shooter fan... R-Type can't sit still the way an adventure or horror game can. R-Type II can be slow-moving as hell, but the series was never just "slow," it was about taking a leisurely-paced trip through a meat grinder.