what happened to: Dennin Aleste 2 (Robo Aleste 2) ???????

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gigadrive32

what happened to: Dennin Aleste 2 (Robo Aleste 2) ???????

Post by gigadrive32 »

so I was looking over a list of cancelled games for Sega systems

http://xepher.net/~sreform/cencelgms.html

and look what I see: Dennin Aleste 2

publisher: Toa Plan

no developer listed but I assume it would have been, Compile.

a sequel to Robo Aleste aka Dennin Aleste aka Nobunaga and His Ninja Force ???????? omfg that woulda been freaking awesome.

does anyone know of this, anything about it, magazine blurb, etc. ANYTHING?

I do believe that it is true, that some sequel was announced, planned, in-development, etc., because on that webpage that I linked to, there are other cancelled / MIA games that I am more familar with, that I saw previewed in magazines, that I know existed in some form so I assume Dennin Aleste 2 was also real, on some level, even though it got axed.
Last edited by gigadrive32 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gigadrive32

Re: what happened to: Dennin Aleste 2 (Robo Aleste 2) ???

Post by gigadrive32 »

opps, dp.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Thank goodness it was canned, and for good reason, sequels to crap are typically even worse crap.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

Bar81 wrote:Thank goodness it was canned, and for good reason, sequels to crap are typically even worse crap.

I beg to differ :roll:

Robo Aleste was an exellent shmup IMO. maybe not as good as M.U.S.H.A. but well above average.

I do *not* believe that:

a.) a good number shmupers here do not own, love and appreciate Dennin Aleste / Robo Aleste

b.) that a good number of them would not have wanted a Dennin Aleste 2.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bar81 wrote:Thank goodness it was canned, and for good reason, sequels to crap are typically even worse crap.
Umm. You do know that you are in the minority of hating the game, right? The game isn't broken with poor controls or poor gameplay mechanics. Compile are generally good developers, so assuming that the sequel will be poor just becuase you don't like the first is way harsh. You have no way of knowing that the sequel will be worse. Please try to respect the people who do like the game.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Robo Aleste had some of the worst levels ever thought up. No hyperbole, truth. Level 3.

What was the deal with bosses in that game? Some would blow up almost instantly (turtle boss?), but some others would take minutes because I couldn't quite figure out where the weak spots were (mine boss).

It had some good stuff thought. Could've been great if cut down 20 minutes or so.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

whatever. Anyone here want to talk about the topic? Dennin Aleste 2.
Rob

Post by Rob »

What's to talk about? It doesn't exist. One can only guess what it would be like from the first game, which had its share of design flaws.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

BrianC wrote:
Umm. You do know that you are in the minority of hating the game, right? The game isn't broken with poor controls or poor gameplay mechanics. Compile are generally good developers, so assuming that the sequel will be poor just becuase you don't like the first is way harsh. You have no way of knowing that the sequel will be worse. Please try to respect the people who do like the game.
I whole-heartedly agree "__"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:What's to talk about? It doesn't exist. One can only guess what it would be like from the first game, which had its share of design flaws.
No offense, but it's hard to take your word for it since you complain about non-existant design flaws in a ton of old school games and seem to dislike most old school games in general. Yeah, I admit there isn't too much to talk about, but the negative posts certainly don't help this topic. Why would someone want to post in a topic if they are just going to keep getting negative and pessimestic arguments in return?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

gigadrive32 wrote:
BrianC wrote:
I whole-heartedly agree "__"
Same here. And Robo Aleste was a VERY good Compile game IMO; the weapons were great, and the explosions sounded fantastic.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Rob

Post by Rob »

BrianC wrote: No offense, but it's hard to take your word for it since you complain about non-existant design flaws in a ton of old school games and seem to dislike most old school games in general. Yeah, I admit there isn't too much to talk about, but the negative posts certainly don't help this topic. Why would someone want to post in a topic if they are just going to keep getting negative and pessimestic arguments in return?
I think "could be great if..." is an optimistic comment. The game is frustrating because it has Compile's best and worst moments. The first 2 stages are really fun and cool, and it has a few others amidst the remaining 8+ (the final few especially, search lights stage).

Design flaws - take a look at the third stage, it's awful. Starts with avalanches that are only there for "wow factor" which doesn't do much in 2005, or after 1 play. During the play you might even ask when the avalanches stop. Then you've got repetitious, completely unchallenging train section (can be destroyed by lasers before anything is shot out, or the mechs leave their platforms) that goes on waaay too long. That stage is the biggest dip in quality I've ever seen. The bosses are awful, especially in their inconsistency, which I already mentioned.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:
BrianC wrote: No offense, but it's hard to take your word for it since you complain about non-existant design flaws in a ton of old school games and seem to dislike most old school games in general. Yeah, I admit there isn't too much to talk about, but the negative posts certainly don't help this topic. Why would someone want to post in a topic if they are just going to keep getting negative and pessimestic arguments in return?
I think "could be great if..." is an optimistic comment. The game is frustrating because it has Compile's best and worst moments. The first 2 stages are really fun and cool, and it has a few others amidst the remaining 8+ (the final few especially, search lights stage).

Design flaws - take a look at the third stage, it's awful. Starts with avalanches that are only there for "wow factor" which doesn't do much in 2005, or after 1 play. During the play you might even ask when the avalanches stop. Then you've got repetitious, completely unchallenging train section (can be destroyed by lasers before anything is shot out, or the mechs leave their platforms) that goes on waaay too long. That stage is the biggest dip in quality I've ever seen. The bosses are awful, especially in their inconsistency, which I already mentioned.
oh ok. Lets just let this go. ok?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, we should let go of this sequel. It never was and wasn't meant to be.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:Yeah, we should let go of this sequel. It never was and wasn't meant to be.
That's not what I meant. BTW, I noticed that some of the cancelled games on the list were actually released in Japan in very limited quantities and sell for quite a bit of cash.
Zigfried the Trizealot

Post by Zigfried the Trizealot »

Robo-Aleste is probably Compile's best shooter. Certainly better than Spriggan and MUSHA. But really, what would a sequel have done? Nobunaga was dead!

//Zig
Rob

Post by Rob »

A sequel would've innovated in gimmicky, repetitive scenery-based attacks that are fun to stare blankly at.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I have to agree with Rob here. No matter how hard I tried, Robo Aleste just didn't click with me. MUSHA and Super Aleste/Space Megaforce can keep me glued to the screen for hours, but Robo felt hollow, and devoid of the Compile magic. As if it had been coded by the same guys from Musha, but while enduring a heavy hangover.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Specineff wrote:I have to agree with Rob here. No matter how hard I tried, Robo Aleste just didn't click with me. MUSHA and Super Aleste/Space Megaforce can keep me glued to the screen for hours, but Robo felt hollow, and devoid of the Compile magic. As if it had been coded by the same guys from Musha, but while enduring a heavy hangover.
I have to agree too. The inconsistency of the game, which Rob described perfectly, and the badly balanced weapons just kill it. It may be one of the more technically advanced Compile games, but gameplay-wise it's seriously lacking. The difficulty jumps happily up and down without even trying to create something that vaguely resembles a learning curve. The soundtrack is a huge step back from Musha Aleste. And the game is simply too long. Additionally, it has some bosses that take forever to kill for no apparent reason.

If Compile had left in only the really good stages (some of which are truly outstanding) and tidied up some of the others, this could have been a decent game. Give me a Power Strike III or Aleste Neo any day, but the prospect of a possible sequel to Robo Aleste doesn't get me excited at all.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I liked robo aleste, the cinemas weren't bad and it did have a plot twsit at the end, only thing I was disapointed by was the loss of the weapons systems from musha, the rotating drones.

it has some half decent levels the giant airship platform being my fav, boss wise its above average with highlights like the final fight against kages brother in the purple swirly stage
Vidi Vici Veni
zinger

Post by zinger »

DA had potential, but yeah, it's one hell of a mess. I love the setting and the graphics, and I can live with the 90's dance soundtrack, but the gameplay just doesn't seem thought through.

It's weird, because Compile are good developers, and they must've put down a tremendous lot of work on the graphics alone. I do enjoy it from time to time, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that some claim it to be.
umi

Post by umi »

Fun game... am I the only one that adores the soundtrack? Love it! The whole vibe of the game was awesome. Balance? Yeah, kinda unbalanced -- but everything else was there.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

BrianC:

I'll see if I can dig up anything in the way of evidence that the game may have existed. if it was in development, or planning, it may have been at least *mentioned* elsewhere on the internet. if that website listed it as a cancelled game, it must be for a reason. they would not have just made it up.

DA had potential, but yeah, it's one hell of a mess. I love the setting and the graphics, and I can live with the 90's dance soundtrack, but the gameplay just doesn't seem thought through.

It's weird, because Compile are good developers, and they must've put down a tremendous lot of work on the graphics alone. I do enjoy it from time to time, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that some claim it to be.
I agree that the game is not a sheer masterpiece. I feel it was just a good shmup. At worst, average or slightly above average, but by no means the awful game some people would make it out to be. it's not on my top-10 list of shmups, but it is definitally on my top-100 or top-50 :)

there are certainly dozens and dozens of BAD shmups out there that make the more-than-decent Robo Aleste seem spectacular.
Zigfried the Trizealot

Post by Zigfried the Trizealot »

Umi, you're not the only one who digs the music. It's my favorite LMS soundtrack, a notch ahead of Sylphia.

//Zig
FRO

Post by FRO »

I currently own 4 Sega CD shmups:

Android Assault (aka Bari Arm)
Robo Aleste
Silpheed
Sol-Feace

Android Assault is my favorite, and the one I spend the most time playing. Robo Aleste is probably #2. Granted, I think M.U.S.H.A. is a better game, but Robo Aleste is a fine shmup. The only thing I think is a major flaw is the weapon-system. I thought the weapons were really unbalanced. There are times in the game that I simply can't survive w/o the homing weapon, which shouldn't be the case unless you have it all the time.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone disliking Robo Aleste. I thought it was part of that whole MUSHA/Compile infallible complex....

*shrug*
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

Damocles wrote:Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone disliking Robo Aleste. I thought it was part of that whole MUSHA/Compile infallible complex....

*shrug*
that's what I was thinking, too.

I was surprised to see such dislike of Robo Aleste, on shmups.com of all places. ....well, it's the message board, so anyone can say anything ;)
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Robo Aleste is not as cool as MUSHA, (It could have been a lot better if it utilized the SEGA CD's built-in scaling & Rotation) but it's not a bad game. A sequel would have been most welcomed by most hard core shmupers.

Anyway I would have prefered if these were released instead:

MegaDrive/Genesis(CD|32X)
========================
Dynamite Ducks
Powerdrift - (I guess this is implying for the 32X or SEGA CD because I remember it being released for the Genesis...)

By the way, wasn't Alien 3 released for the MegaDrive?
I remember playing a Demo on my AMIGA & reading in a Mag that it would also be released for the MD back in 1993.

Saturn
======
Alien vs. Predator
Contra
Ecco the Dolphin: Saturn
Sonic the Fighters
Virtua Fighter 3
X2

Rayman was released for the Saturn...
Rob

Post by Rob »

ST Dragon wrote:...

Handy info for a Robo Aleste topic.
D

Post by D »

Rob wrote:
ST Dragon wrote:...

Handy info for a Robo Aleste topic.
I don't even think that that info will be usefull in any topic
Let the Rayman bashing commence (I'm so bored)