SD : DoDonPachi Stage 1 Bee Map

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
EdS25

SD : DoDonPachi Stage 1 Bee Map

Post by EdS25 »

My good friend (and recent DDP addict) wileee has put together a nifty screenshot map of Stage 1 showing all 13 Bees. Since it's about 50" long I decided to just put the link rather than the image :

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/dodo ... maps.shtml

Enjoy!

Does anyone know if this has already been done in this format? We're trying to figure out if we should attempt Stages 2-6.
BER

Re: SD : DoDonPachi Stage 1 Bee Map

Post by BER »

EdS25 wrote:Does anyone know if this has already been done in this format? We're trying to figure out if we should attempt Stages 2-6.
I haven't seen any other map in this format.

Also, I think you and wileee should consider mapping out the rest of the stages. First, your maps serve as a good reminder of the locations of the bee items, so that players have one way (the easiest way, I think) to enter the second round. Second, they could help players map a suitable route for making big chains (I had trouble making my own map).

Thanks for making this map, and I hope you and your friend make more like these.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
landshark

Post by landshark »

That f'ing rules.

That site as a whole f'ing rules.

Nice job man, thanks for posting.
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

Thanks for the comments! Wileee made the map and the website, so those comments are for him (although I have contributed a lot of content as well.)

Bernard your site is extremely helpful! (any idea if you're ever going to fill in the info for Stage 6?)

DoDonPachi is certainly my favorite shmup. Unfortunately, I'm not really great at it. I can finish the game in about 3 total credits and get about 17 million points. But Stage 6 always kicks my ass, particularly the boss. I'm hoping that these maps will give me a better understanding of the game, hopefully enough to someday 1cc it or (gasp!) even make it to the 2nd loop.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

I'd like to know how you made this map. Does MAME have a facility for turning off screen layers that I don't know about?
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

No - no layers in MAME unfortunately. Wileee did that all by hand. I'm working on Stage 2 and he's working on Stage 3 right now. Lucky for me, Stage 2 doesn't have scrolling backgrounds. HOWEVER, the other main problem with no layers is that I can't turn off the sprites so I am literally editing out hundreds of power up icons.

Seems that with every map project wileee and I do we always get in too deep before realizing that we may have bitten off more than we could chew . . .
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

The Super Metroid maps on there kick ass as well. I am very impressed, sweet stuff.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Whole heartedly agree, job well done there 8)

EDIT: And it looks so nice without any bullets!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

freddiebamboo wrote:And it looks so nice without any bullets!
So THAT'S what the background looks like!
BER

Post by BER »

EdS25 wrote:Bernard your site is extremely helpful! (any idea if you're ever going to fill in the info for Stage 6?)
I won't fill in that information for my current guide. However, I am thinking about creating a new guide that could help one beat the Arcadia record for the Type A, so you might see that information there. I'm still trying to secure a job, though, so I won't be comfortable doing the guide until early next year.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about DoDonPachi, I'm willing to answer them.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

Aya - the Super Metroid were the first maps wileee and I made. We've always been disappointed in the loss of quality switching to JPG. But we do have uncompressed versions and someday hope to release them.

Bernard - Sounds great. Type A is actually what I use. It's what I've always used, and when I try to switch the other ships are just too slow for me. Looking forward to more info from you, but to be honest if I haven't improved by early next year I will probably have given up!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

EDIT: Those Super Metroid maps are beautiful.

Looks like I have a new top bookmark. That bee map is a work of strategic art! Nice job, EdS25.
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

Here is Stage 2 (about 95% complete)

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/dodo ... LV2fwm.png

It's only missing some creative work at the bottom and some enemy placement tweaking. I have left out many of the helicopters because they clutter things up, particularly with their shadows. What do you guys think? Add more in to make it complete? Or leave them off?

I suppose one possibility would be to put in one helicopter, then a little x4 beside it to represent a group?

These maps started out as a simple way to show the bees. But as I get further into it I suppose they could be beneficial to planning chains as well, which is why I am getting very picky about enemy placement. This is also making the maps take much longer to produce. However, I'm no master so I'm gonna be looking for the expert opinions on what to show and where. Just post your ideas here!
wileee

Post by wileee »

Ed, I added Stage 2 to the list on http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/dodo ... maps.shtml. Just waiting for a thumbnail to place there.

Stage 3 is going to be a while but I believe I found a way to display it easily, considering it all takes place in the sky with moving background.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

Help!

While trying to assemble more of these maps it occurred to me that if I could switch the game to "Easy" there would be less clutter on screen to worry about.

Anyone know how to do this? I know every once in a while when I'm trying to watch a replay it switches to Very Hard so I'm assuming it's possible.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Hold F2 until the service menu shows up. Try doing this just as the disclaimer screen fades out.

Keep up the good work. :)
EdS25

Post by EdS25 »

Thank you!! Although - it's not quite as "easy" as I'd hoped. I guess I was picturing less enemies and no bullets. :D
Edge

Post by Edge »

Really great maps! :D

But I think you should also put in those stars in the ground (in the second stage). Because they count as hits too and so they are important for planning your chains.

But overall a great work you two did. Hope you continue the great work.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

does anyone happen to still have these bee maps and could perhaps post new links of them here? Im thinking about possibly doing maps of my own but if some stages are already done then itll save me allot of time (and see how its done)
dak1

Post by dak1 »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:does anyone happen to still have these bee maps and could perhaps post new links of them here? Im thinking about possibly doing maps of my own but if some stages are already done then itll save me allot of time (and see how its done)
I would like to know this as well...
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

dak1 wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:does anyone happen to still have these bee maps and could perhaps post new links of them here? Im thinking about possibly doing maps of my own but if some stages are already done then itll save me allot of time (and see how its done)
I would like to know this as well...
The link is unavailable Try using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
docRobot

Post by docRobot »

EdS25 wrote:My good friend (and recent DDP addict) wileee has put together a nifty screenshot map of Stage 1 showing all 13 Bees. Since it's about 50" long I decided to just put the link rather than the image :

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/dodo ... maps.shtml

Enjoy!

Does anyone know if this has already been done in this format? We're trying to figure out if we should attempt Stages 2-6.
This link is currently redirecting to to an ad page with malware. Just a heads up.