RQ : A few Galuda questions

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Danbo

RQ : A few Galuda questions

Post by Danbo »

Been really enjoying this game lately, expect I'll probably 1cc it soon enough with a little help :)

1. How do you get the 1-up in stage 3? There's undoubtably some element of that large battleship you have to destroy but I don't know if you have to destroy it in kakusei or if you're allowed to use bombs or indeed what exactly needs destroying. Any more 1-ups beside that one?

2. What's the specifics regarding red bullets, ie. when you run out of magic juice in kakusei? Do you get more gold stuff in this mode or...? Is there much point in sticking in this mode on purpose beside getting a little bored in the first 2 stages?

3. Is the meat of good scoring really just "destroy enemies in kakusei when they have lots of bullets out and dont die" or is there some secret to it?

4. Does the kakusei autobomb still work if you have < 50% bomb energy?

A search didn't bring up any Galuda-related info in Strategy section... I guess the game is pretty simple.
kernow

Re: RQ : A few Galuda questions

Post by kernow »

1) destroy the four pillars, then the central pillar/dome has to be destroyed in kakusei.

2) if you stick in overmode, you'll notice a ring building up around your character, I think it levels up 3 times at most, to which point you'll have a blurred effect when you're back in normal mode, it obviously gives you more time in kakusei. If you die it resets back to normal.

3) Pretty much hehe

4) No idea

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me but hey, thats what discussion forums are for 8)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Instead of doing a search, you can consult the Strategy Board Index next time. That's exactly what it's for.

To answer your last question, the autobomb will activate so long as you have any bomb meter left at all, the amount does not matter.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Oh, oops. Well thanks for the answers...
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

3. Is the meat of good scoring really just "destroy enemies in kakusei when they have lots of bullets out and dont die" or is there some secret to it?
Worth noting that for every enemy you kill you lose extra time in your slow mode, so avoid killing the popcorn ships as they fire next to no bullets and decimate your slow timer.
kernow wrote: if you stick in overmode, you'll notice a ring building up around your character, I think it levels up 3 times at most, to which point you'll have a blurred effect when you're back in normal mode, it obviously gives you more time in kakusei. If you die it resets back to normal.
I thought it was a permanent bonus even if you died but I could be wrong here.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

kernow wrote:1) destroy the four pillars, then the central pillar/dome has to be destroyed in kakusei.
Err...no. You just need to destroy the black orb at the end of the level in Kakusei mode.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=892
freddiebamboo wrote:I thought it was a permanent bonus even if you died but I could be wrong here.
It's permanent in Galuda 2, but not in Galuda 1.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Ruldra wrote:
kernow wrote:1) destroy the four pillars, then the central pillar/dome has to be destroyed in kakusei.
Err...no. You just need to destroy the black orb at the end of the level in Kakusei mode.

Excellent. So just shooting the one thing then. *tries soon*
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

kernow wrote:
Ruldra wrote:

Excellent. So just shooting the one thing then. *tries soon*
A quick and nice way of doing this is enter Kakusei just before the orb appears at the top of the screen, hit the barrier button and the blast will bring forth the 1up without accidentally hitting the gun turrets surrounding it. Then exit back out of Kakusei. Minimal loss of jewels (3rd boss is a great source for Kakusei scoring).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
kernow

Post by kernow »

I've never actually tried using the C button shield in kakusei mode, hmm. I guess its because you have a builtin shield in that mode already (at least one hit anyway)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

kernow wrote:I've never actually tried using the C button shield in kakusei mode, hmm. I guess its because you have a builtin shield in that mode already (at least one hit anyway)
If you just hit it fast, it doesn't take much of your barrier meter. If you get hit, well that's just not "strategic". :D Just one fast blast with the barrier weapon will free the 1up.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Excellent, I'll be doing it that way in future then :)
ncp

Post by ncp »

This is all included in the ST someone linked, but for a more condensed version to answer your questions:

2) When in Overmode, you generate a constant stream of points similar to DDP's MAXIMUM bomb bonus. You get more points per frame the higher the level. You do not cancel bullets in Overmode, nor do you get Kakusei gems, but instead you get gold ingots. During bosses you don't generate constant points but you get more points per shot landed on the boss. The point gain is rarely worth giving up the Kakusei time, so you'll notice even in superplays they use Overmode very rarely. The only times that Overmode is advantageous is: 1. If you are out of gems on a boss phase, do the rest of the phase in overmode, remember to switch out before you hit the next phase to get Kakusei gems instead of gold. 2. When there are no enemies to destroy. The only time I can think of where this happens is the beginning of the second level where you can hold your fire for a good couple seconds for a tiny overmode bonus if you're out of gems from the first boss.

3) The scoring is 99% Kakusei bullet cancelling. How many points you get per bullet is dependent upon your gold count. The gold count (which is imo a rather clever system) is what provides the penalty for death and boss milking. When you die you lose half your gems, and during bosses the gold count constantly decreases.

4) I'm fairly certain Kakusei autobomb works as long as you have any amount left, even if it's like 1%.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

ncp wrote: 2) When in Overmode, you generate a constant stream of points similar to DDP's MAXIMUM bomb bonus. You get more points per frame the higher the level. You do not cancel bullets in Overmode, nor do you get Kakusei gems, but instead you get gold ingots. During bosses you don't generate constant points but you get more points per shot landed on the boss. The point gain is rarely worth giving up the Kakusei time, so you'll notice even in superplays they use Overmode very rarely. The only times that Overmode is advantageous is: 1. If you are out of gems on a boss phase, do the rest of the phase in overmode, remember to switch out before you hit the next phase to get Kakusei gems instead of gold. 2. When there are no enemies to destroy. The only time I can think of where this happens is the beginning of the second level where you can hold your fire for a good couple seconds for a tiny overmode bonus if you're out of gems from the first boss.
It's also useful if you only need X number of gems for canceling something and extras won't help you out at all. You'll see this right before the first boss usually, you can get a lot of gems from the last set of enemies but you only really need a small amount to cancel the first form of the boss, so you might as well shoot some of them in overdrive to get free gold. It's a fairly minor part of the game though as you say.