RQ: Noiz2sa Slowdown Strategy

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
mjclark
Banned User

RQ: Noiz2sa Slowdown Strategy

Post by mjclark »

What are the advantages of using the slowdown button in Noiz2sa. Is it just to give more control when moving through bullet patterns or does it go deeper than that?
Whilst it slows the ship, it doesn't seem to affect the speed of the bullets in any way so why slow down at all?
lgb

Re: RQ: Noiz2sa Slowdown Strategy

Post by lgb »

You apparently missed half of the shooters in the past like, 10 years.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

lgb wrote:You apparently missed half of the shooters in the past like, 10 years.
Thanks, but that wasn't the the kind of helpful and informed reply that I'm used to on these forums.
Maybe someone with some level of maturity could answer my question :D
I'm used to games where there's slowdown when you are firing but the ship moves faster with no shot,however in Noiz2sa the ship moves fast when shooting and there's a seperate slowdown button.
Why,why,why?
lgb

Post by lgb »

That was actually a nice comment.

It's the exact same thing, except slowing down doesn't give you a better weapon. All I can say is "Kenta Cho felt like it".
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

lgb wrote:That was actually a nice comment.

It's the exact same thing, except slowing down doesn't give you a better weapon. All I can say is "Kenta Cho felt like it".
Thankyou-that answers my question, but am I right in not seeing any change in bullet speed when the ship slows down?
I'd always thought of slower ship speed as a handicap (and the trade off for being able to fire) but in Noiz2sa the ship slowdown seems to act like a change in gear-the same displacement of the input controls produces a smaller movement of the ship allowing for more precise manouevring.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Yeah. That's what ends up being the purpose of the feature, for the most part. Lots of PC games have some sort of slow button that works mostly the same.

parsec47 (another Kenta Cho game) has slowdown while you're "charging" your secondary weapon. parsec47 seems to be a bit of an evolution on noiz as a whole, though.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

That is because controlling a slower ship gives better accuracy when navigating through a tight pattern. The slower the ship, the better your accuracy at moving very precisely on the trajectory you want. Even if you are pro, you will still benefit from this. On the other hand, higher speed gives more trajectory possibilities in a pattern because you can get farther in less time. So a good player will use both speeds in some patterns, slowing down when more accuracy is needed, accelerating when a faster move is needed.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??