Arcade in Shanghai with 'lot's' of shmups.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
320x240

Arcade in Shanghai with 'lot's' of shmups.

Post by 320x240 »

If you find yourself in Shanghai, there's an arcade situated around North Sichuan Road 154x, called Game Plaza, that has around 50 Astro City cabs.

Mostly it's beat-em up's and car games but also several shmups. Of course noone was playing any of the shmups while I was there.

Here are the shmups:

Strikers 1945 Plus x 2
Strikers 1945
19XX
Raiden 2
Raiden Fighters 2
Raiden Fighters Jet 2
Vasara 2
Batrider
Gunbird 2
Dragon Blaze
An uknown game produced by IGS in 2001.

The most impressive thing about this arcade is that they had 6 cabs with Tank Force side by side. Other than that I saw 3 Metal Slug games, though I believe they were all MS3.

The sad thing is that I lived 200 meters from the arcade for 16 days and didn't visit it until I was ready to leave, so I didn't actually play any of the games...
It is powerup of laser.
lgb

Re: Arcade in Shanghai with 'lot's' of shmups.

Post by lgb »

Raiden Fighters Jet 2
Are you talking about Raiden Fighters 2 2000?
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

lgb wrote:
Raiden Fighters Jet 2
Are you talking about Raiden Fighters 2 2000?
Good question. I just wrote what I originally wrote down when I was there. It could be that I meant Raiden Fighters Jet x2.
It is powerup of laser.
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

Ha, I was wandering around People's Square in Shanghai looking for a decent arcade, found a crappy Sega game center at a mall and then ran into some "students" who conned me out of like 400 kwai, good times. Moral of the story: FUCK SHANGHAI

But yeah, after I got conned looking for an arcade I became distrustful of every Chinese person who randomly came up to talk to me. I was searching for an arcade in a mall in Nanjing, looking at the map of the mall, and this pretty cute girl comes up to me and starts talking to me and asks me if I want to get a cup of coffee and my Chinese bullshit detector goes off and I'm like, "sorry lady, I can't hang out, I'm going to the game center right now." She was like :shock:. NANI????!

The game center sucked, but her face was priceless.

But yeah, shame I didn't find this Shanghai arcade, but if we're gonna talk about bangin' joints in China, if anyone goes to Nanjing, there's a sick place in the xinjiekou district. I visited about nine arcades in China, this was definitely the best. Two floors, the first is bemani and prize junk, the second rows of kof and a great selection of stgs, I didn't write down what they had but offhand I remember

Mushihimesama futari 1.5
EspGaluda II
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5
Raiden III
Raiden IV
Gunbird 2
a couple Strikers machines, and some 3D hori that no one played once in the many times I visited there

Machines all used Sanwa parts, which was nice (I went to some places that had knockoff japanese-style parts, shit was worse than happ). Best part was that one yuan got you two credits, and since roughly 6.8 yuan are in a dollar, you can play all day for basically nothing. I could've stayed there the rest of my life. The cute attendants in pink uniforms who gave tokens didn't hurt either.

But yeah, 320x, how much was it for a credit in shanghai? I noticed everything there is way more expensive than in the smaller cities, but I'd assume the arcades couldn't be too much more. And it's a damn shame you found it so late, sounds like a groovy place, I'd be rocking the batrider machine all day, fuck sightseeing..
:x GET BODIED :x
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

I wouldn't play anything in that arcade.... just look at it all disdainfully and swagger out like I was Prince....
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

320x240 wrote: An uknown game produced by IGS in 2001.
Dodonpachi II: Bee Storm I'm guessing.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

My travels now bring me to Shanghai for the next 2 weeks, anything good here shmup wise? Or even just the major ones in general. So far I've heard of the People's Square having some places, but don't know much so far. Anyone live here who knows some good places?

-edit: didn't know this thread was in shmups chat :oops:
gct

Post by gct »

Cool thread. I was in Shanghai last year but stuck with a tour group. If I wasn't, I'd find an arcade for a bit but I would be shopping like mad the rest of the time.

And I would probably go to Hooters. Just for a looksee.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

gct wrote: And I would probably go to Hooters. Just for a looksee.
There's a hooters in Shanghai?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Subterranean Sun

Post by Subterranean Sun »

EPS21 wrote:My travels now bring me to Shanghai for the next 2 weeks, anything good here shmup wise? Or even just the major ones in general. So far I've heard of the People's Square having some places, but don't know much so far. Anyone live here who knows some good places?

-edit: didn't know this thread was in shmups chat :oops:
What, you are going to Shanghai? Make sure you visited the best arcade in china then.
Call a taxi and tell him take you to Meiqi Theatre (or 美琪大戏院, if you can speak chinese). Once you are there, look around a bit and you will see a sign of that arcade. It was called Lie Huo Arcade. You can also use this page to help you find it.
Here is a list of what you can find there:
Raiden III
Raiden IV
Strikers 1945 I
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1999
DDP DOJ white label
DDP DFK v1.5
Mushihimesama Futari Black Label
Espgaluda II
...And most important, a motherfucking Ketsui.
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

Subterranean Sun wrote:some godlike shit
wtf I wish someone would have told me this a year ago :P
gct

Post by gct »

Skykid wrote:There's a hooters in Shanghai?
http://www.hooterschina.com/store-en.html
Should be safe for work, mostly...

I only know because I saw an ad on the back of a taxi. However, we did drive by the actual Hooters Beijing during that leg of my tour.

Getting way off topic now...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

:P
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

8) just another day in the life of evil ash 8)