So, uh, how exactly do I get BulletML to work anyway?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Icecap Veiwin

So, uh, how exactly do I get BulletML to work anyway?

Post by Icecap Veiwin »

As in, where can I find the graphical interface of the program?

All I'm finding is a bunch of Java applets.
The radio said, "No, John. You are the demons."
And then, John was a zombie.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

There is no graphical interface, nor a program.

BulletML is simply a XML DTD, it's just a description of how bullets will move within the program that you develop. The only difference over me writing down in a file something like "Bullet A starts at point P and accelerates over 20 frames" is that as an XML document it's easy to read and use in a program, but still all it is is a description.

Now if you look at the Java example applet you'll see it contains code to load an XML document that is compliant with the BulletML DTD and it contains code to act upon the information in that document.

If you're interested in using C++ then libbulletml is a good starting place (it's used in a few games you've probably played). Again it just reads a BulletML document and contains classes to manage state, it's again up to you to write any code to handle what bulletml tells you to do. If you're using libbulletml then the readme is a good starting place, also looking at how it's implemented in rRootage will provide some extra info.
Icecap Veiwin

Post by Icecap Veiwin »

Oh, well, in that case, I feel stupid now.

Actually, I plan to use Flash to make my shmups. (Flash MX 2004 to be exact.)

So, basically, I write a bullet script, then implement it into Flash/C++/whatever?

I suppose it would be logical to create separate Flash documents for each Bullet Script...

Just for clarification, BulletML is for creating bullets for both normal enemies AND bosses correct? Because it seems like it's just for creating boss scripts.

Sorry if I sound really stupid, I'm a n00b to all this stuff. :D
landshark

Post by landshark »

It's simply a way of describing motions of the bullets, much like a specification. You need to parse it and implement all the action behind it.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

Icecap Veiwin wrote:Just for clarification, BulletML is for creating bullets for both normal enemies AND bosses correct? Because it seems like it's just for creating boss scripts.
landshark is on the right lines when he says it just describes the motion of bullets however it's even more general than that, it describes a number of actions: the creation, motion and eventual death of *something*. That something within your application could well be a bullet, it could be an enemy itself, or the pattern of rocks falling down a cliff..it's just a decription.

Yes it can be used for both normal enemies and bosses, again there's no formality here, you simply have access to a number of BulletML documents and it's up to you to do what you wish with them, you can attach a document to an enemy so that it will attack according to the rules set forth in one document, bosses attack according to the rules in another document.

Infact if you look at how the patterns are formed in the example documents you'll see that they're recursive - that is bullets can create bullets (consider a bullet that travels N pixels before exploding to create M bullets).
Icecap Veiwin

Post by Icecap Veiwin »

Ah, I understand. Well, could someone give me a few pointers to understanding the script? I've got no idea what all this means, and the manual's not exactly helping all that much.