Sky Shark Jamma Connection Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gunbird18

Sky Shark Jamma Connection Issue

Post by gunbird18 »

Hello kids,

I have an issue with a recently acquired Sky Shark pcb. In spite of it being a HUGE board, the Jamma connection is rather shallow. My Egret II loom must be a weird one, because it wants to connect pretty deep, basically wanting to "snap" onto the Jamma connection. More so than what I've seen on an Astro City. I know those looms are pretty shallow. Do you have any suggestions for me, other than trying to (shudder) cut into the board?

Thank you!

gunbird18
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
robivy64

Re: Sky Shark Jamma Connection Issue

Post by robivy64 »

A friend of mine had this same issue. He ended up just selling the board instead of mutilating it.
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

Yes, I've had the same problem with the Japanese version of this game - Hishou Zame. Again, I have an Egret II, it doesn't seem to be a problem with some other cabs.

I soldered on a JAMMA fingerboard to act as an extension. It's a bit fragile, but easy to remove if I ever sell it, after a little de-soldering, the solder will snap right off the original JAMMA edge, leaving no trace. However, a JAMMA extension cable will also do the trick, so long as it bites a bit less deeply than the Egret II one.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

How about soldering a fingerboard to a JAMMA connector instead and just PLUG it onto the board instead of soldering it on?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

emphatic wrote:How about soldering a fingerboard to a JAMMA connector instead and just PLUG it onto the board instead of soldering it on?
Indeed; that's why I suggested a Jamma extension cable at the end of my post - pretty much the same thing as you suggest, but more versatile.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Thank you for the help everyone!

Extension sounds like the cure. I think I will get ahold of oxtsu on this one. He should be able to set me up!

Cheers!
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa