STV Games on Egret 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hermosaguy

STV Games on Egret 3

Post by hermosaguy »

I am having a problem getting an STV to run on an Egret 3. I just see a pulsating light on the bottom with a sound that goes along with it. On a side note, is there a way to force low res as opposed to VGA on the monitor? Thanks! :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Considering that Sega's ST-V mobo hardware is designed to run solely on 15kHz low-res arcade monitors from the get-go...isn't it just a simple jumper pin to change on your Egret III's monitor, hermosaguy?
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Not familiar with the cabinet, and no luck finding any documentation on the interwebs. Any idea where I need to look for that specific jumper? Thank you for the reply!
kernow

Post by kernow »

That monitor should auto sync with low or hi res, no jumper change needed.

"I just see a pulsating light on the bottom with a sound that goes along with it. "

Is this the cab or the board? It could be a power supply issue, measure your 5 + 12V
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Could it be a voltage problem then if there is an auto sync? Anyone have any luck getting an STV to work on a try-sync monitor? If so, I may have to check out the power supply as it is 110 as opposed to the 100 needed.
Low.Blow

Post by Low.Blow »

hermosaguy wrote:Could it be a voltage problem then if there is an auto sync? Anyone have any luck getting an STV to work on a try-sync monitor? If so, I may have to check out the power supply as it is 110 as opposed to the 100 needed.
Probably doesn't help you, but I have a brand new WG tri-sync in an astro city cab and I can run my stv stuff with no issues on it. It auto-syncs.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Low.Blow wrote:
hermosaguy wrote:Could it be a voltage problem then if there is an auto sync? Anyone have any luck getting an STV to work on a try-sync monitor? If so, I may have to check out the power supply as it is 110 as opposed to the 100 needed.
Probably doesn't help you, but I have a brand new WG tri-sync in an astro city cab and I can run my stv stuff with no issues on it. It auto-syncs.
Actually thats good to know! Thank you for letting me know about that. Sounds like I need to focus on the power supply.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Does anything come on the screen at all?
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Nope. I have dials at the bottom of the machine with 3 red lights...and the middle one pulsates and there is no picture on the screen. I am able to play ibara fine, esprade goes crazy with the sync but after i fix it plays fine, and batrider has no problems as well.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Have you disconnected the vertical/horizontal sync (a little molex near the coin door). This might stop things not synching.

As for the power supply and the three red lights, I'm pretty sure the blinking light means that voltage is too low. Definitely check your +5/+12 with a multimeter, and adjust it up a little it seems.

It might be that your PSU is failing, but unlikely, is it a taito PSU or a wei-ya?

This will provide a quick answer because if its a wei-ya the PSU's are absolute rubbish.

Check your monitor too from around the back, I don't want you to find out you've got an Egret 3 that was converted from an AWSD with lower quality parts. because its possible. Unlikely though hopefully.
dpful

Post by dpful »

My STV runs on a little more juice than my other boards
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check on it when I get home from work!
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Ok, on the back of my monitor it is a Samsung, Model # A68QCP891X0010 and the PSU is a Wei-Ya.
pcb_revival

Re: STV Games on Egret 3

Post by pcb_revival »

hermosaguy wrote:I am having a problem getting an STV to run on an Egret 3. I just see a pulsating light on the bottom with a sound that goes along with it. On a side note, is there a way to force low res as opposed to VGA on the monitor? Thanks! :)
Does the ST-V mobo work on another setup.

Does the game play blind - coin up - start.

Have you measured 5 volts at the JAMMA edge.

The cab is wired for JAMMA not JVS.
Low.Blow

Post by Low.Blow »

hermosaguy wrote:I am having a problem getting an STV to run on an Egret 3. I just see a pulsating light on the bottom with a sound that goes along with it. On a side note, is there a way to force low res as opposed to VGA on the monitor? Thanks! :)
If it was just a sync issue, you should still hear the game play blind. Can you hear attract mode sound? Or coin up and play blind?

edit:
pcb-revival wrote:Does the ST-V mobo work on another setup.

oops, I'm too slow.
Last edited by Low.Blow on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

did you switch the cable around?

if you have a wei-ya chassi you have to connect the VGA cable coming from the chassi to a small connector somewhere usually near the front access door that is connected to the JAMMA harness.
its basically just a small circuitboard with a VGA connector on it.

the wei-ya chassi is auto switching but the JAMMA input is not wired to the chassi in the egret 3s/AW cabs.

if thats not your problem then i suspect your mobo might be faulty or your +5V is off somehow.
i never had any issues with STV + highres cabs tho, its not a peticularly sensitive system..

good luck mate! :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

pcb_revival wrote:
Does the ST-V mobo work on another setup.

Yeah, the ST-V works fine on my Egret 2. I have not measured any voltage and no blind play, just the pulsating sound.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Are you 100% sure this cab wasn't converted from an AWSD with wei-ya parts? Its just I'm pretty sure every Egret3 had a toshiba monitor and taito power supply.

Usually the E3's with wei-ya parts have been converted by someone. I did hear that people think some E3's shipped with wei-ya parts, but they were converted back in the factory to e3's when the Atomiswave didn't do as well, or something.

I hope you haven't been sold it as an e3 by someone who converted it themselves, thats all.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

kernow wrote:Are you 100% sure this cab wasn't converted from an AWSD with wei-ya parts? Its just I'm pretty sure every Egret3 had a toshiba monitor and taito power supply.

Usually the E3's with wei-ya parts have been converted by someone. I did hear that people think some E3's shipped with wei-ya parts, but they were converted back in the factory to e3's when the Atomiswave didn't do as well, or something.

I hope you haven't been sold it as an e3 by someone who converted it themselves, thats all.
I hope not as well...can someone confirm what the monitor/power supply are for an E3 and also what they are for an Atomiswave?
kernow

Post by kernow »

It might be an original e3, but with wei-ya parts, i.e converted back from an AWSD to an E3 at the factory. I wouldn't worry about it, theres hardly anything you can do about it now.

Is the PSU a wei-ya P271? These are shitty, I have two. I replaced one with a standard JAMMA PSU for $15 and its been a lot better since.

I think your +5/12 is probably too low and thats why its not displaying anything.

I've never tried an STV in my cabs though.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Thank you for your help everyone, I'm going to see about getting this power supply replaced!
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Ungh...still no luck with this. Ok, I have the Wei-Ya power supply and a voltage reader. Anyone know where I can find a how to guide to get this up and running....where to test the voltages, etc? Thank you! :)
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

I just did this on 2 cab's
the PSU should plug right in if you bought the same one that is originally for that cab.
all the wiring connects via Molex connections.

you can use a voltage meeter on the harness itself.

I have a atomiswave sd and my stv works fine.
the monitor autosyncs with that board,
good luck.
hedorah

Re:

Post by hedorah »

kernow wrote:Are you 100% sure this cab wasn't converted from an AWSD with wei-ya parts? Its just I'm pretty sure every Egret3 had a toshiba monitor and taito power supply.

Kern,

I think this occurrence might be a bit more far reaching than we thought. I was in contact with Taito directly a few months back trying to secure an Egret 3 with a Toshiba monitor and I eventually gave up because they were unable to find one from their used sale list. I get the sneaking suspicion that at one point in time Taito just switched over to cheaper parts in a cost saving measure as when I also got replacement PSU's from them they sent me the wei ya's as their official replacement for an Egret 3.

But back on topic, plug the cabinet into a good step down converter to see if the PSU pulsating light problem at least goes away. I know this is uncommon for people in the states to do, but I had a similar problem with my AWSD and persisted through several replacement PSU's to only be conveniently solved by the easiest and cheapest solution.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Interesting .. hmm