RQ: Soukyugurentai Tank Boss (st3)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
louisg

RQ: Soukyugurentai Tank Boss (st3)

Post by louisg »

I started playing Soukyugurentai again, and I'm not having much luck beating the tank boss without bombs. It's mostly the spam bullet pattern that gets me, but only on the higher ranks! So, what do you guys do? Is staying in front of him when he does that a bad idea?
Humans, think about what you have done
louisg

Re: RQ: Soukyugurentai Tank Boss (st3)

Post by louisg »

Time to bump! =) I picked this game up again, and this is still one of the roughest spots of the game for me. I've watched Alamone's 1cc video, and I'm not sure what he's doing to keep the rank so low.. the tank in the vid barely throws bullets out. I've been rank controlling using avoiding powerups, not getting 100%, and even limiting my bomb stock.. I've even died once before the boss.. anything else I can try?
Humans, think about what you have done
Icarus

Re: RQ: Soukyugurentai Tank Boss (st3)

Post by Icarus »

louisg wrote:Time to bump! =) I picked this game up again, and this is still one of the roughest spots of the game for me. I've watched Alamone's 1cc video, and I'm not sure what he's doing to keep the rank so low.. the tank in the vid barely throws bullets out. I've been rank controlling using avoiding powerups, not getting 100%, and even limiting my bomb stock.. I've even died once before the boss.. anything else I can try?
Try not to destroy all the turrets (the dragon flamethrowers and the body-mounted guns) as the more you pick off, the more violent the attacks become. While it is lower scoring, you can pass the boss safer by not attacking when the dragon flamers activate. Another method is to use your Shot to attack the main body when it does its splashy vulcan attack.

Also, it's fine to fire off a bomb or two to destroy the boss, as the surplus bonus continues to count as long as you don't die - but as soon as you die, the bonus resets and you have to rebuild it.