Custom Video Overlay w/ 360 (e.g. Scanlines on Deathsmiles)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Custom Video Overlay w/ 360 (e.g. Scanlines on Deathsmiles)

Post by Fudoh »

I recently got my new Blackmagic video capture card and besides capturing you can use the LiveKey function to overlay graphics of your choice over any compatible signal. I've only played around for a few minutes and tried stuff like vertical scanlines on Yoko-orientated PS2 shoot'em ups and it works amazingly well. The added delay is ZERO. The screenshots below were taken via digicam from my Sony LCD. 360 is connected via HDMI 720p.

I'll write a small guide once I find the time. In the meantime, don't hesitate to ask any questions...

DS Classic Version

Note that only the actual playing area gets scanlined, the border background stays untouched. You can also adjust the scanline intensity on the fly in 100 steps.

DS 360 Enhanced Version

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That is ace stuff right there, Fudoh. I didn't know that you could add scanlines option to existing incoming video signal. I like that cool low-res asethetics with the fake scanlines -- similar to how the XRGB-2 can do the same thing with the fake scanline option for completeness. Perhaps, Cave should've made Death Smiles as an low-res game to begin with & the ever so important scanlines present as well. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
antron

Post by antron »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:That is ace stuff right there, Fudoh. I didn't know that you could add scanlines option to existing incoming video signal. I like that cool low-res asethetics with the fake scanlines -- similar to how the XRGB-2 can do the same thing with the fake scanline option for completeness. Perhaps, Cave should've made Death Smiles as an low-res game to begin with & the ever so important scanlines present as well. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
the 360 physically cannot do 240p, as far as anyone knows.

I haven't gotten around to proving it *yet*, but I believe the PS3 can.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

This is really getting fun :)

Here's a shot with reduced scanline density:

and here's one with a custom background overlay:

gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Need more info on this capture card like where to get and how much it costs.. Is it an external device or something like a GC card?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I have a Multibridge Pro which is an external box (and not this cheap), but there are PCIe cards as well. Used Intensity (HDMI only) cards are available for $100. You just need to check which of the Blackmagic Cards will do live the Live Keying in SD and which ones in HD. As tested with a PS2 and PS3 component video works as well, so a Decklink card instead of an Intensity would work as well. The BMD cards use a powerful MJPEG codec which allow you to capture HD video without framedrops even on single-HDD systems (no Raid neccessary).

The Livekey function is a nice gimmick. You fire up a small windows (or Mac) small tool in which you load your overlay graphic (with alpha key channel). You can then adjust the density and the card will key the image over the input video signal and output it right away again.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Here's a totally lagfree way of introducing scanlines for EVERYTHING:

Also comes for a vertical lifestyle:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I like scanlines for low res games, but why use it for high res? Does it really look better?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

A friend of mine once tried a screen door (those for keeping flies out) on his LCD. Worked surpisingly well (really!). I usually don't use scanlines on HD games, you're right here. The basic idea was the make the available to the Death Smiles Classic version and in vertical orientation to the DDPBL port. Also tried it with RFA last night and it looks better than all the included scanline emulations... easier to use as well.

It's also the first (and only) way to get scanlines over 480i games (e.g. Sengoku Blade on the PS2) as the XRGB-3 won't help here.