Flying Shark problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raiden

Flying Shark problems

Post by raiden »

ever since I got the game 2 weeks ago, I´ve had problems getting it to run properly. First it wouldn´t run at all, then I started adjusting the voltage, sound problems occured, I fixed them by having the sound poti pressed down all the time, graphic errors kept on occuring, I fixed that for a while by stabilizing the PCB in the middle after reading contacts can get loose from the weight bending a PCB slightly concave while it´s mounted. One or two days the game ran as it´s supposed to. That was one week ago. Since then, I´ve run out of ideas what to do. Played around with the voltage extensively, tried to put a second board immediately under the PCB to stabilize it, tried different ways of holding the sound poti down. It seems like the damaged sound poti drives power usage up sometimes, measuring under load I can crank the PSU up unto 6 volt, but the PCB only gets 5.
I can play the game, it´s just the backgrounds that are broken. Sprites are displayed correctly, and with a depressed sound poti, the music is also alright. Depending on voltage, the intro screens are messed up or ok, but this again depends on the state of the sound poti. The PCB has been messed around with extensively before I got it, there´s plenty of wires running along the top and bottom sides. I got it for cheap from ebay, so I can´t complain, but I´d still like to fix the problem. Any ideas what I can still do? Anyone?