GD: Sonic Wings (Aero Fighters)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Seelen

GD: Sonic Wings (Aero Fighters)

Post by Seelen »

Ok, so I've been playing about 5-10 rounds of this game a day for a week or two now, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the later levels.

A lot of it just seems to be skill-based, rather than memorization, but some of it is almost excessive. The mid-level boss in the last level shoots RIDICULOUSLY fast, I can't even hope to dodge it.

Generally I use Mao, but sometimes use the black guy (haha, that sounds bad, but I really don't know his name). Are there certain characters that are easier to use for beginners? I prefer speed, but Mao takes so long to kill the later bosses that I generally get toasted before I can finish them off.

Also, is there rank in this game? I've noticed sometimes I'll go through a level and have WAY more enemies than normal. I know that the 3rd random stage will always have way more enemies than if it were the 1st stage, as well as the bosses having new and improved attacks.

So yeah, what do you think guys, got any tips for me, or care to discuss the gameplay mechanics? I'm looking for ways to get better...I keep practicing, but I'm afraid it might not be helping me that much.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I'd recommend Kowful the Viking. Good firepower, good bomb AND he has the best between-stages dialogue.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Seelen

Post by Seelen »

lol, "uahahahaha" :lol:

I actually do extremely well with Kohful. Villiam is really good, but he's so slow I can't STAND it >_<

Wow, I just had a REALLY good run with Mao. I did everything perfect in the first 3 stages, killed literally almost every enemy...I can say for a FACT there is rank, and it's TOUGH. I can't believe how many units there were, nearly double the normal amount, and everything was firing at an incredible rate. I didn't make it any further than usual, but my score was nearly 400,000 before russia, and I was destroying!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

For the medalling system, I think (every Aero Fighters the same) you'll get the highest value when the medal still on the top of screen (10000 pts per medal)
Seelen

Post by Seelen »

huh? What medal? I'm not lucky enough to have a copy of Aero Fighters, I'm playing Sonic Wings (just in case they are different) I've never seen any medal.

It might have to do with me not dying, or maybe because of my high score, but lately when I play, there are 2x as many enemies. I'm starting to get to Russia consistently, Space sometimes...space is ridiculous, and unless I play on easy, I pretty much have to 1cc it just to beat it.

P.S. I just beat it on easy (continues do not restart the level) and there was a giant monkey, wtf...last time I played it was like this scorpion tail with a skull's head... O_o

What a weird game :shock:
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

1.I mean any kind of money that spawned upon you destroyed a ground target (dollars, yens ,etc)
2.Yeah it is. Aero Fighters 2 and 3 are far weirder (especially 3)

EDIT : Ho? I thought there's no difference between Sonic Wings and Aero Fighters, but I suppose there's a difference with Sonic Wings Limited
Even AF3's title says Sonic Wings 3
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Ghegs wrote:I'd recommend Kowful the Viking. Good firepower, good bomb AND he has the best between-stages dialogue.
Seconded. Kowful is by far the best choice for SW1.
Seelen

Post by Seelen »

This game makes no SENSE! I wish somebody knew about the mechanics of it. For example, just now I played beautifully, killed pretty much every single plane until the middle east, and then the first helicopter dropped a "F" for full power? O_o

Also, I need to know more about the ranking so I can avoid it. It gets FAST. By the time I was at the mediterranean, the ships were firing multiple times a second, instead of just once before disappearing :roll:

Oh yeah, I can make it to the space sub-boss consistently now, and I'm learning his patterns. I should really take the advice and emulate to practice a bit before I do the real deal.

Edit: Wow, so I'm steadily improving, but it's all for nothing, because I have no clue how this game works! I just got to the end again, but instead of the monkey boss, I faced this weird rocket that kept regenerating itself and I died :( I don't know what I did differently (although this time it wasn't on 1 credit, it was my 2nd), because I killed the sub boss...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Seelen wrote:instead of the monkey boss, I faced this weird rocket that kept regenerating itself
Erm, that's actually the "normal" final boss. The monkey should only appear once in a while.

As far as I know, the appearance of the "wacky" bosses in the Sonic Wings series is completely random. It's possible that I'm mistaken, though, and you can make them appear by being in a certain spot at a certain time (similar to the flasher sub-boss in Strikers 1945).
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Herr Schatten wrote:As far as I know, the appearance of the "wacky" bosses in the Sonic Wings series is completely random. It's possible that I'm mistaken, though, and you can make them appear by being in a certain spot at a certain time (similar to the flasher sub-boss in Strikers 1945).
I think it's possible to trigger it, but I'm not sure how...I kept getting the monkey boss constantly when I was playing the game few months ago.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Seelen

Post by Seelen »

Ghegs wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:As far as I know, the appearance of the "wacky" bosses in the Sonic Wings series is completely random. It's possible that I'm mistaken, though, and you can make them appear by being in a certain spot at a certain time (similar to the flasher sub-boss in Strikers 1945).
I think it's possible to trigger it, but I'm not sure how...I kept getting the monkey boss constantly when I was playing the game few months ago.
Yeah, I get him just about every time as well...in fact, I've only NOT gotten him like once. I figured he was the boss you were supposed to face, not that other goofy one.

I REALLY need to "dumb" myself down or something. I've been playing so much that I can kill every single plane in the first 4 levels, and it makes everything in 5 and 6 REALLY REALLY REALLY hard. Totally unbeatable for me.
it290

Post by it290 »

I forget, can you power down in the AF series by crashing into planes? That works in Strikers. If not, I guess you'll just have to time your deaths more regularly or something. The rank system is undoubtedly pretty basic.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

it290 wrote:I forget, can you power down in the AF series by crashing into planes? That works in Strikers. If not, I guess you'll just have to time your deaths more regularly or something. The rank system is undoubtedly pretty basic.
No.
Pulstar

Re: GD: Sonic Wings (Aero Fighters)

Post by Pulstar »

There is some kind of trigger for the final bosses in AF2 for sure, someone once explained it but it was too complicated to remember. The only thing I could remotely figure out for ranking is score. I don't know how I sometimes got an extra few thousand points on the first level and then would occasionally get more of an ass-kicking sooner with the levels being out of order compared to normal, but that's about all I could work out. Anyone have 15+-year-old issues of Gamest lying around? haha

Anyway the series gets easier after AF1 so move on to 2 if you want a bit of a break.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I played a few credits on the PS2 Oretachi version of Sonic Wings yesterday.

Does anybody know if it's possible to change the difficulty in this disc?
Since the Options are all in Japanese, I'm having trouble understanding them. The 1st option has 3 possible adjustments (maybe difficulty?), but I have no clue what it actually means.

Anyone?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I had this lying around. I wondered the same thing and I believe it was Khoa who actually did the translation, so props go to him.

My videos
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

That's great :D
Tks!!!
indutrial

Post by indutrial »

Does anyone know how the SNES version's difficulty stands vis-a-vis the arcade version's? I've been trying on normal and getting devastated four or five stages into the game (without credit feeding). I'm having the same difficulty figuring out which character I like. It was pretty fun discovering that you choose from a different set of characters depending on which controller you used for 1-player mode.

I hadn't realized until today that the SNES cartridge I have for this game is supposedly one of the rarer ones for that console. I picked it up at some bumpkin video store in eastern Pennsylvania back in 2002 for $5 and never thought much of it. Compared to most SNES shooters I have, the game plays pretty fast and feels like an arcade game.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Are some items random? I was playing stage 5 on emulator and found an 1-up, but I could only found once.
I don't know if I did something to get it or if it was just a random prize.
Mero

Post by Mero »

SFC/SNES version, yeah? The arcade version doesn't have extends.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Mero wrote:SFC/SNES version, yeah? The arcade version doesn't have extends.
Yes, snes version
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Necro-ing this one since am currently practicing for a runthrough at the upcoming Retro Gaming Expo in our country, which features the Super Famicom version of Sonic Wings in the lineup.

https://www.facebook.com/31442118272375 ... 605493978/

By far, I would think Kouful would be the best regular character to use in the game. The medals are fixed to 1k for this game.
Also, the rank factor comes from the fact from no-missing the entire game for too long. Dying will decrease the rank.

Also, no idea about the final boss. The gimmick that spawns out of the first form is random.

And another question, where is typically the hitbox of the ship?
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!